The best Speccy game by Bug-Byte: discussion

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
stupidget
Manic Miner

Re: The best Speccy game by Bug-Byte: discussion

Post by stupidget » Sun May 12, 2019 7:24 pm

Sodov ( Oh how I laughed when I was kid) was a staple game when we used to go round my mates house at lunchtime whilst chomping through cheese and branston sandwiches.

The only other games I played in the list were Styx and Manic Miner. MM is still up there in my top games of all time.
0 x

DouglasReynholm
Berk

Post by DouglasReynholm » Sun May 12, 2019 7:47 pm

spider wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 6:53 pm
Mind you Turmoil I did quite like I must say. :)
Well, it was very slick
2 x

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape » Sun May 12, 2019 9:11 pm

DouglasReynholm wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 7:47 pm
Well, it was very slick

:lol:
0 x

Juan F. Ramirez
Dynamite Dan

Post by Juan F. Ramirez » Sun May 12, 2019 10:34 pm

Spectral Invaders has the charm of being considered one of the first Spectrum games, published in 1982.

And Styx is a simple but funny game.
0 x

Metalbrain
Dizzy

Post by Metalbrain » Mon May 13, 2019 11:16 am

Could you you add Pi-R Squared to the list?
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 96&id=3734

I'd vote for it (although the winner in this poll is quite clear).

PD: Never mind, I see now it's just a re-release of Bug-Byte Premier, so no need to add it.
0 x

PeteProdge
Manic Miner

Post by PeteProdge » Mon May 13, 2019 12:17 pm

Juan F. Ramirez wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 10:34 pm
Spectral Invaders has the charm of being considered one of the first Spectrum games, published in 1982.
Yeah, from doing research for this, I've learnt that Bug-Byte (and its future labelmate Quicksilva) had games ready for the Spectrum pretty much off the bat. QuickSilva especially so, according to this story from an employee.
2 x

ZXDunny
Microbot

Post by ZXDunny » Mon May 13, 2019 1:25 pm

Well, as MM won in the last poll I'd be interested to see what else will win if we disregard it this time around. I've not played all the games in this list but the absolute stand-out gems have to include Turmoil and Antics.

Actually yeah, Antics is almost certainly gonna get my vote. Exploration, fluid if at time exasperated movement, discovering destructible walls... It had so much to offer. In fact, I kinda get the feeling that it was the Nodes of its day. What a game.
0 x

DouglasReynholm
Berk

Post by DouglasReynholm » Mon May 13, 2019 2:18 pm

PeteProdge wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 12:17 pm
Yeah, from doing research for this, I've learnt that Bug-Byte (and its future labelmate Quicksilva) had games ready for the Spectrum pretty much off the bat. QuickSilva especially so, according to this story from an employee.
That's a fascinating article, should have a thread of its own if it doesn't. I didn't realise quite how seminal Quicksilva were. I think my second ever tape was Mined Out.

edit: still haven't got the hang of these apostrophe things..
Last edited by DouglasReynholm on Mon May 13, 2019 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

djnzx48
Manic Miner

Post by djnzx48 » Mon May 13, 2019 2:18 pm

Antics reminds me a little of Kokotoni Wilf, but more mazelike and with smoother movement.

I'll probably be voting for Styx, as even though it's quite short and simplistic it's still pretty playable. It's another Bruce Lee type of game where you can just loop it over and over, and the technique of using only a third of the screen to save memory was clever. Turmoil was also another one that I enjoyed playing.

As for Birds and the Bees, I always thought Matthew Smith had been involved with drawing the sprites, since the adverts used to state "with graphics by Matthew Smith (of Manic Miner fame)". But apparently that's not the case ;) According to the programmer Adrian Sherwin,
P.S. The only involvement Matthew Smith had in the development of The Birds and
the Bees was to talk Bug-Byte into providing me with a TRS-80 Model 3, and a
graphics editing tool (hence "Graphics aided by Matthew Smith" in the title
screen). That and a few programming tips...
So it seems that they just used his name on the ads to popularise on the success of his earlier games.
0 x

Nick
Berk

Post by Nick » Mon May 13, 2019 3:44 pm

Antics is a fantastic game with a huge, for its time, map to explore. It's one of those games that I have come close to completing on more than one occasion.

A special mention for Fridge Frenzy too as it's quite a fun and addictive game, almost a maze version of MM.
0 x