The Hobbit

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
Hedge1970
Manic Miner

The Hobbit

Post by Hedge1970 »

I often buy games preferably big box if I enjoy playing the .tzx/tap version. I like the instructions and other peripheral paroiphinalier that came with them.

So I grabbed a big box copy of The Hobbit. But the box is just plain black, so I looked again on eBay and it seems all the big box Hobbits have plain black boxes. However when I search the dB I see covers. Does anyone know the details, did they ship just black or have all the available versions just lost their covers?

Thanks all
Mort
Microbot

Re: The Hobbit

Post by Mort »

From my vague memory , back at the time when I bought the original in Whsmiths it was in a cellophane wrapper with the booklet on the outside of the box showing the cover though the cellophane.

regards
Scanner extraordinaire, 1000`s of magazines and Software from the 8 and 16 bit era now up on internet archive in lovely 600dpi.
Donations are welcome of items to scan that are no longer needed ;)
toot_toot
Manic Miner

Post by toot_toot »

Yes, the booklet was on the outside behind cellophane as the inside of the box contained a copy of the book.

You can see an example of a sealed copy here

https://images.app.goo.gl/fQWHvtQB4UWfUQv16
Hedge1970
Manic Miner

Post by Hedge1970 »

Ah got it so the instruction booklet is what I was mistaking for the front cover. In the picture linked It looks like the paper back book is on the outside which may well be what I saw a picture of and assumed it was the back cover of the box. It’s a shame they did not do a nice box cover.

On a side note I re-ordered a copy of the book to help with the game as I’ve basically forgotten all the detail since I last read it.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

So, If I understood well, there were no inlay, just a black box?

If so, that's why the cover of the booklet appears as inlay.

Check this post, please.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

... and that plain black cover I said it was wrongly scanned by [mention]Mort[/mention] was finally correct :)
Mort
Microbot

Post by Mort »

Phew, my fuzzy memory of 36 years ago is still ok :lol:
Scanner extraordinaire, 1000`s of magazines and Software from the 8 and 16 bit era now up on internet archive in lovely 600dpi.
Donations are welcome of items to scan that are no longer needed ;)