The best Speccy game by Software Projects: discussion

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

The best Speccy game by Software Projects: discussion

Post by PeteProdge »

The label that launched Jet Set Willy (and its somewhat 'sequel', which was a bug fix and a slight expansion). Will the upcoming poll be another annihilation by Matthew Smith?

Oh, and Software Projects also put out Manic Miner but as mentioned in the Bug Byte discussion, this is effectively a re-release, so won't be considered for this poll.

What are we going to consider? Well, here's Spectrum Computing's own listing of games from Software Projects. I'm not counting games from their subsidiary label - the very-much-a-budget-line Software Super Savers. I'm also not counting games that weren't released, the most famous being Attack Of The Mutant Zombie Flesh-Eating Chickens From Mars (it did kind of see the light of day, having evolved into Star Paws). Hunchback At The Olympics is outright MIA.

Which makes me wonder about Anaconda. Never released back in the day, but surfacing up here in the retrogaming era, the game is available to download as a TZX file from this very site (and others). Does it really count for this poll though? It's a tricky question.

Learning With Leeper is a contentious one, as it falls into the educational section. It is a compendium of four games though, and as these polls are about actual games, I guess it counts. I doubt it'll pick up points though!

As the amount of titles for Software Projects is in a comfortable two figures, the poll can include all of the games..

Astronut
ImageImage

BC's Quest For Tires
ImageImage

Dragon's Lair
ImageImage

Dragon's Lair II : Escape From Singe's Castle
ImageImage

Hysteria
ImageImage

Jet Set Willy
ImageImage

Jet Set Willy II
ImageImage

Learning With Leeper
ImageImage

Lode Runner
ImageImage

McKensie
ImageImage

Ometron
ImageImage

Orion
ImageImage

Push Off

Star Paws
ImageImage

Thrusta
ImageImage

Tribble Trubble
ImageImage

The one thing I'm still pondering... am I right to exclude Anaconda?

Any other concerns, raise them here... and then we'll start the poll a week from now - Sunday 2nd June 2019.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
djnzx48
Manic Miner

Re: The best Speccy game by Software Projects: discussion

Post by djnzx48 »

Not sure if I'll go with the obvious choice here.

JSW II is technically superior to JSW in some ways but it lacks some of the charm of the original. They also changed the movement, so Willy jumps differently and ledge behaviour is different IIRC. The new space levels are kind of interesting though.

Hysteria is a polished game graphically with nice scrolling (if you look at the corners of the screen you can even see the rollers it's moving on). The gameplay is slightly weaker than Cobra, and mostly consists of running left and right and shooting stuff. One feature I do really like is the high score table with the animated vector-based letters - very impressive.

Lode Runner has some pretty basic UDG-style graphics but it's still quite fun to play. And it has a lot of levels (150).

Haven't really played Star Paws but it has some interesting parallax scrolling. I wonder how much is left of the original Matthew Smith design.
WIWC
Manic Miner

Post by WIWC »

Jet Set Willy is too difficult. I tried to like it, but I was never able to. I'll probably vote for Ometron.

Astronut and Thrusta are original takes on the single screen platformer concept. Although not as good as Lode Runner.

Tribble Trubble is a pain the glass. Those stupid little creatures can all die, as far as I'm concerned.

Dragon's Lair is an exercise in masochism. Dragon's Lair II is at least playable.

Star Paws is okaysh, but too carnivorous for my taste.

Hysteria is a minor Jonathan Smith, using a Cobra-like scrolling with a less engaging gameplay.

So:

3) Astronut / Thrusta
2) Lode Runner
1) Ometron
Last edited by WIWC on Sun May 26, 2019 12:30 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Lode Runner is great in spite of its simple graphics.

And Hysteria is another game to take into account.
DouglasReynholm
Manic Miner

Post by DouglasReynholm »

The Bug Byte poll surprised me with how many releases they had in total, this poll surprises me with how few Software Projects put out.
Nick
Manic Miner

Post by Nick »

I'm undecided as to whether to vote for JSW or Lode Runner, they are probably the best two on the list.
StooB
Dynamite Dan

Post by StooB »

DouglasReynholm wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 12:58 pm The Bug Byte poll surprised me with how many releases they had in total, this poll surprises me with how few Software Projects put out.
If you ignore the titles put out with Bug Byte being used as a label for Argus Press and Grandslam, then the original Bug Byte company had around the same number of releases as Software Projects.
Fahnn
Microbot

Post by Fahnn »

This is going to be very easy for me, as one of these is absolutely miles ahead of the rest in every way. OK, not in every way (much as I love it, not even I could claim that its graphics and sound are spectacular, although they are perfectly suited to the game). But it's miles ahead in every way that matters: gameplay, addictiveness, depth and longevity, so much so that it's one of the few Spectrum games that I still play today. I am of course talking about Lode Runner. Would definitely feature as one of my top ten Speccy games of all time.

I sort of also have a soft spot for BC's Quest For Tires, but that's possibly because I won a copy of it as a runners-up prize in a CRASH competition. Not a lot to it, admittedly, but quite fun to play.

Jet Set Willy third (never really got into Jet Set Willy II).

Looking at some of their releases that I didn't know, I noticed that Ometron was written by a Simon Munnery. That's quite an unusual name but I thought, nah, it can't be the same one, must just be coincidence. But it is the same one! I used to love some of the stuff he did on Radio 1 in the 1990s, and especially "Attention Scum" when that was briefly on BBC2 (although I admit that it something of an acquired taste). Amongst others, it also featured Johnny Vegas, Catherine Tate and The Actor Kevin Eldon. Here's an interesting article from the time that it was shown (written by Stewart Lee, who was co-creator and director) recounting how badly the BBC mishandled the show.
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

I like Speccy Bc Quest for tires, very much.
Slick animation, clear and bright graphics, much better execution than Atari/C64 port.
toot_toot
Manic Miner

Post by toot_toot »

The cover artwork (by Roger Tissyman) for Software Projects games' were really excellent. Although I do wonder how much Software Projects relied on the quality of the artwork and the "brand recognition" with the label also having Manic Miner/Jet Set Willy, because the sad thing is that most of the games were pretty crap!

I remember buying McKensie, because it was from the same label as Jet Set Willy and Thrusta (another favourite of mine) and the cover made it look like you were a Scotsman in space, shooting some kind of aliens. Or something.

Even the inlay text made it sound exciting!

Imagine how disappointed I was when it turned out to be a text only adventure!
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

A few quite nice games released there. I'm struggling to find one that I enjoyed as much as <the obvious choice>, so the difficult decision for me will probably be what to place second and third.

Like probably quite a lot of people here, I was a bit disappointed with the Dragons Lair arcade conversions (not sure what I expected really), but I agree with [mention]WIWC[/mention] that the second one was at least half decent to play.
toot_toot wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 3:59 pm Image

Even the inlay text made it sound exciting!

Imagine how disappointed I was when it turned out to be a text only adventure!
A BASIC one too, by the sounds of it..? :o
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com