The best modern Speccy game beginning with B: vote

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...

The best modern Speccy game beginning with B

Poll ended at Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:20 pm

Balachor's Revenge
9%
Baldy ZX
No votes
Barbarians
No votes
Bardic Rite, The
No votes
Bean Brothers
23%
BeTiled!
5%
Biscuits in Hell
5%
Black Horse
No votes
Black Raven
5%
Big Sleaze 2, The
5%
Bobby Carrot
5%
Booty - The Remake
No votes
Bouncing Bomb - Redux
18%
Box Reloaded
No votes
Brainkrush
No votes
Bozxle
No votes
Buzzsaw+
18%
Byte Me
9%

Total votes: 22

PeteProdge
Bugaboo

The best modern Speccy game beginning with B: vote

Post by PeteProdge »

I'm not going to claim to be an expert on the post-commercial-era of the Speccy era, all I can say about the following lot is that I've only played Buzzsaw+ (Foxton Locks Mix). It's absolutely astonishing, a very good clone of Pac Attack and it makes good use of multicolour. Oh, and when I compiled the screen images for this, I'm really blown away by the loading screens for Bobby Carrot and Brainkrush, the latter being the best loading screen I've ever seen on the Speccy.

Anyway, those are my views, you guys get 7 days to cast your vote. The poll closes at around 7:20pm Sunday 9th June 2019...

Balachor's Revenge
ImageImage

Baldy ZX
ImageImage

Barbarians by Cyningstan
ImageImage

Bardic Rite, The by Zenobi Software
ImageImage

Bean Brothers by Stonechat Productions
ImageImage

BeTiled! by computer Emuzone
ImageImage

Biscuits in Hell by Monument Microgames
ImageImage

Black Horse by Digital Brains
ImageImage

Black Raven by Copper Feet
ImageImage

Big Sleaze 2.5, The
ImageImage

Bobby Carrot

Booty - The Remake
ImageImage

Bouncing Bomb - Redux by Petroleum
ImageImage

Box Reloaded
ImageImage

Brainkrush by Perspective Group
ImageImage

Bozxle by Polomint
ImageImage

Buzzsaw+ by Jason J Railton
ImageImage

Byte Me by Jonathan Cauldwell
ImageImage
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Re: The best modern Speccy game beginning with B: vote

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Bean Brothers for me. Because it's a modern 'plattformed' Head Over Heels.

Another great game from the list is Booty the remake.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

So far, my vote will be for Buzzsaw+, but I have a week to decide if I'm being unfair on Bouncing Bomb. Both are masterpieces.

These days, it pains me (a bit) that I've habituated to seeing Multicolour. I'm still impressed, but my eyes don't widen and my jaw doesn't drop anymore. I keep needing a bigger and bigger hit (last fully supplied by GLUF), and I start yearning for "Spectrum games that look like Spectrum games". It's hard to factor that in, yet still account for the fact that if Buzzsaw+ was release before 1988 we would have gone properly crazy over it. Maybe that's best for Joefish—no man could have survived that kind of fame without ending up either in the gutter or a giant mock tudor mansion surrounded by sports cars.
Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:37 pm Bean Brothers for me.
Cheers Juan (We said 5 euros didn't we?)
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Liar! We said 500! :x
WIWC
Manic Miner

Post by WIWC »

Don't know them enough to vote.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

WIWC wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:10 pm Don't know them enough to vote.
Live on the edge and vote random!

... or even better, play them before voting! :D
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

My impression is that this one and similar votings aren't going to be fair.

For me obviously the best game here is Black Raven. It's really big and impressive RTS game, based on the famous Warcraft. Just check it on Youtube.

But to enjoy it you generally need some knowledge of Russian language + some experience with Tr-Dos system. I suppose it puts off about 80-90% of people here.

So it's going to be British guys voting for British games.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Ralf wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:29 pm For me obviously the best game here is Black Raven. It's really big and impressive RTS game, based on the famous Warcraft. Just check it on Youtube.

But to enjoy it you generally need some knowledge of Russian language + some experience with Tr-Dos system. I suppose it puts off about 80-90% of people here.
It means we definitely need a volunteer to translate this game to English... and preferably to also put together a tape version.
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

R-Tape wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:21 pmIt's hard to factor that in, yet still account for the fact that if Buzzsaw+ was release before 1988 we would have gone properly crazy over it. Maybe that's best for Joefish—no man could have survived that kind of fame without ending up either in the gutter or a giant mock tudor mansion surrounded by sports cars.
I'm sure I'm much happier rubbing the last of the clutch out on a 13 year old Focus on my home from a once-a-month trip to Sainsbury's... :?
DouglasReynholm
Manic Miner

Post by DouglasReynholm »

Hmmm, I really need to play some more modern titles instead of the old favourites, these all look great. I'll obviously refrain from voting on this until I have but Bobby Carrot would get my vote based on it's amazing loading screen alone.

Ninja edit - just read Pete's blurb at the top in full, I see he mentioned the loading screen for it too, and yes, the Braincrush screen is equally impressive.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Was hoping to give as many of these a go as possible but due to lack of time am now "panic-voting" slightly... :lol:

..I'm not going down the "vote for my own game" route, particularly because there's some real quality in that list.

I remember being impressed with the multicolour Bozxle & Buzzsaw, both of which seemed to appeared at roughly the same time I think.

I also recall being surprised by Barbarians, which was pretty cool, a bit different from a lot of Speccy releases at the time - I found it pretty hard but I think it was a result of a couple of particularly stingy resource placements by the random map generator. It was also nice to see a 16k game release. If this game had come out in the 80s I probably would have played it to death.

After a bit of thought I've just gone with my gut favourite which is Bouncing Bomb: Redux. It was one of those games I sat down to try for 5 minutes or so, and then the evening seemed to disappear as I tried to master the levels. Slickly programmed and highly playable/addictive.
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
djnzx48
Manic Miner

Post by djnzx48 »

Well I'm not British but I did vote for Buzzsaw+ in the poll. It's a very technically impressive game as well as being fun to play. The buzzing sound effects can become slightly ear-grating after a while if you're using an emulator without a filter, but it's addictive nonetheless.

I did find it slightly surprising at how few games feature ingame multicolour graphics - only about 20 in total, and all very high quality. It's always nice to see a new multicolour game, but it's true that the effect doesn't have quite the same impression.

I liked Byte Me for the impressive digital title music, and the nice ingame music as well. I haven't got into the game itself that much, but it reminds me of the earlier 2D Ultimate games.

Bobby Carrot is another great contender, not least for the amazing title screen. Personally I think the Brainkrush screen has a bit too much contrast and some odd colour choices to qualify for the top loading screen spot. It's certainly not bad though.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Only less than two hours to close the poll and it's a triple draw...
ZxSpence
Dizzy

Post by ZxSpence »

Byte Bitten
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:48 pm Only less than two hours to close the poll and it's a triple draw...
Well, it's Bean Brothers that takes the top spot! Very close, but nice to have a proper winner...
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Erm...I don't know what to say...I voted Buzzsaw+
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

ZxSpence wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:35 pmByte Bitten
That's a (funky skillo) commercial era game. These polls are for the post commercial era, or what some are pleased to call "homebrew" :)
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

R-Tape wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:56 pm
ZxSpence wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:35 pmByte Bitten
That's a (funky skillo) commercial era game. These polls are for the post commercial era, or what some are pleased to call "homebrew" :)
Yeah, 1984, so it's not like it's the borderline year of 1993 either! (Zenobi Software has a lifespan that goes across both eras, in my view.)
ZxSpence
Dizzy

Post by ZxSpence »

Nah, if you didn't have to type it in yourself while climbing up a cobbled street in Yorkshire it's modern you young bloody whippersnappers.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

ZxSpence wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:33 pm Nah, if you didn't have to type it in yourself while climbing up a cobbled street in Yorkshire it's modern you young bloody whippersnappers.
Has to be fed in by paper tape into a Cray-2. Anything else is just one of those solid-3D 4K-resolution 'Nintendo X-Box 4' games that all these juveniles are into.
ZxSpence
Dizzy

Post by ZxSpence »

If you can't punch a mammoth to death with the media it's a freakin' download. I remember when we had to hammer out bits and bytes on Stonehenge to get Neolithic Set Willy running, and some tosser would accidentally knock all the stones over like dominoes so we would have to quarry out new slabs all over again.

Bloody kids. Don't know their born.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

IIRC all previous "best game" pools in this forum always finished on a Monday. If so, why did this one close on a Sunday?

I just arrived here to vote and didn't expect to find it closed already...
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Einar Saukas wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:54 pm IIRC all previous "best game" pools in this forum always finished on a Monday. If so, why did this one close on a Sunday?

I just arrived here to vote and didn't expect to find it closed already...
You don't recall correctly. The ones I've started usually start/end on a Sunday.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Sorry, my bad!
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Einar Saukas wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:54 pm I just arrived here to vote and didn't expect to find it closed already...
Blast. Another vote missed for Bean Brothers...