The best Speccy game by Software Projects: vote

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...

The best Speccy game by Software Projects

Astronut
No votes
BC's Quest For Tires
2%
Dragon's Lair
2%
Dragon's Lair II: Escape From Singe's Castle
2%
Hysteria
7%
Jet Set Willy
39%
Jet Set Willy II
7%
Learning With Leeper
No votes
Lode Runner
32%
McKensie
No votes
Ometron
2%
Orion
No votes
Push Off
No votes
Star Paws
No votes
Thrusta
5%
Tribble Trubble
No votes

Total votes: 41

PeteProdge
Bugaboo

The best Speccy game by Software Projects: vote

Post by PeteProdge »

As I'm going through the software houses, I'm also trying to understand how long they were around for, from a ZX Spectrum perspective.

Bug Byte was pretty easy to determine as being there from the off, just like Quicksilva. Their final game (Wildwater), from what I can tell by the date of Crash's magazine review, was out in June 1988.

It's been tricky to find out when the first Software Projects game (a re-issue of Manic Miner) hit shop shelves. In a magazine interview with Matthew Smith and the company's director Alan Mator, it is said that the Software Projects re-release happened "a few months" after Bug-Byte put it out and apparently there was a time in the software charts where Manic Miner was listed twice, because of the two publishers. However, the earliest I can see it in a ZX Spectrum chart is in the Jan 1984 edition of C&VG. I've gone for December 1983. I could be wrong, so do correct me with any new evidence.

Software Projects bit the dust with Star Paws in 1988, which was originally meant to be some kind of official Road Runner game.

Anyway, back to the poll, and, like the Bug Byte poll, I have a feeling this also has a very-much-favoured-to-win title...

Astronut
ImageImage

BC's Quest For Tires
ImageImage

Dragon's Lair
ImageImage

Dragon's Lair II : Escape From Singe's Castle
ImageImage

Hysteria
ImageImage

Jet Set Willy
ImageImage

Jet Set Willy II
ImageImage

Learning With Leeper
ImageImage

Lode Runner
ImageImage

McKensie
ImageImage

Ometron
ImageImage

Orion
ImageImage

Push Off

Star Paws
ImageImage

Thrusta
ImageImage

Tribble Trubble
ImageImage
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Re: The best Speccy game by Software Projects: vote

Post by stupidget »

Had to go for JSW. I can still remember the first time I played it and how I was just amazed by it. Being able to move around freely to explore a house and see what laid in wait in the next room was stunning. Me and my mates would spend hours playing it huddled round my tiny colour tv trying to just see all the rooms. Brilliant stuff.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Ditto.

(JSW that is).
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Jet Set Willy, no need to add more. A classic.

But a pity it shades some interesting games like Hystera or Lode Runner, which is a simple idea (and simple graphics!) but quite addictive
Nick
Manic Miner

Post by Nick »

I voted for Lode Runner in the end. As much as I love JSW it can be a bit frustrating with things like multiple deaths, the attic bug etc.

Just out of interest my top three Software Projects games would be:
1. Lode Runner
2. JSW
3. Thrusta
Vampyre
Manic Miner

Post by Vampyre »

Has to be JSW. A totally iconic Spectrum game.
ZX Spectrum Reviews REST API: http://zxspectrumreviews.co.uk/
andydansby
Microbot

Post by andydansby »

Had to go with Lode Runner. Game builds up difficulty rather than being difficult on the front side. Level designer as well. Enemies have nice little AI as well and not move in a pattern.
Metalbrain
Microbot

Post by Metalbrain »

My top 3 would be:

1. Lode Runner
2. Thrusta
3. Hysteria

Never been a big fan of Willy
Hank Scorpio
Manic Miner

Post by Hank Scorpio »

JSW for me although Loderunner does come a close second. I think this could be a closer battle between the two than maybe some people thought.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Forgot to do my top 3:

1. JSW
2. JSW 2
3. Loderunner
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
DouglasReynholm
Manic Miner

Post by DouglasReynholm »

JSW for me, though after someones recommendation last week during the discussion thread I fired up Lode Runner for the first time ever and found it extremely playable, so I can see what people are on about. Decent AI too, as someone else also pointed out. However - No memory of my formative years quite sticks out like that warm summers day, windows wide open, the Speccy on a rare excursion out of my bedroom and me playing JSW with Queen playing their Live Aid set on in the background. You could say it was a kind of magic, but that may be corny.

Edit: Pete - what made you pick Bug Byte and Software Projects to be first in the new series given that Matt Smith titles were the most likely to win?
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

DouglasReynholm wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:43 pm Pete - what made you pick Bug Byte and Software Projects to be first in the new series given that Matt Smith titles were the most likely to win?
I'm going through the software houses listed in the POLL OF POLLS, in order of the votes. After this, it'll be Microsphere's turn, then Ultimate, then... things get really tense with Imagine (who have made, like, a squillion games).
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
DouglasReynholm
Manic Miner

Post by DouglasReynholm »

PeteProdge wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:01 pm I'm going through the software houses listed in the POLL OF POLLS, in order of the votes. After this, it'll be Microsphere's turn, then Ultimate, then... things get really tense with Imagine (who have made, like, a squillion games).
Ah, I see - I missed that. Thanks for the clarification.
Fahnn
Microbot

Post by Fahnn »

Yeah, like I wrote in the other thread, this is Lode Runner by a mile for me. Getting close at the top now!

My top three:

1. Lode Runner
2. BC's Quest For Tires
3. Jet Set Willy
djnzx48
Manic Miner

Post by djnzx48 »

I went for Lode Runner, mostly to give JSW some competition*. And Lode Runner is a good game in its own right.

*and also because I forgot there's no vote switch option.
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

JSW was impressive at the time, but is it really such a great game? It's as famous for its catastrophic bugs as anything else. And it suffers from a mix of empty screens and ludicrously difficult set-piece routes.

Software Projects has a better line-up here than Bug-Byte, anyway. My vote goes for the much more technically impressive and arcade-action orientated Hysteria.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

A priori, it was going to be a sure win for JSW... but now it's only one up (12/11)... wow!
WIWC
Manic Miner

Post by WIWC »

1) Ometron
2) Lode Runner
3) Astronut / Thrusta
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Jet Set Willy wins the poll, but only just! It's one point ahead of second-placed Lode Runner.

Incidentally, from the proportional-top-3-place voting (of which I've had to discard WIWC's vote, as the third place is ineligible), Lode Runner comes out on top...

10 points: Lode Runner
6 points: Jet Set Willy
3 points: Thrusta
2 points each: Jet Set Willy 2, BC's Quest For Tires
1 point: Hysteria
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Lode Runner got a sort of 'moral victory'. Unexpected.