Trouble loading LoTR.

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Trouble loading LoTR.

Post by stupidget »

I won a copy of Lord of the Rings off eBay, complete with both tapes, the book and user manual all still in the box box. The problem is that I can’t get either the Beginner or full game to load. It loads the basic section and the loading screen but once the loading screen has finished there is a faint ‘blip’ type noise and the resulting red and blue lines start briefly and then disappear and the resulting yellow and blue lines fail to show at all. That happens with both tapes on both sides. Anybody got any ideas?
Morkin
Bugaboo

Re: Trouble loading LoTR.

Post by Morkin »

Haha... That got me as well when I bought my copy. ;)

Just start it loading... Walk away, put the kettle on, make a cuppa, don't stop the tape, don't worry what happens.. You'll be amazed by the results.. :lol:

"Have faith in the chuntey"
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
DouglasReynholm
Manic Miner

Post by DouglasReynholm »

Morkin wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:10 pm Haha... That got me as well when I bought my copy. ;)

Just start it loading... Walk away, put the kettle on, make a cuppa, don't stop the tape, don't worry what happens.. You'll be amazed by the results.. :lol:

"Have faith in the chuntey"
Now I'm really intrigued about this!
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Haha, it's nothing too mystical.. :)

Basically there's a data block that doesn't load (but doesn't need to), so it looks like it's failing to load. If you just ignore it and leave the tape running the game loads fine.

Someone can probably explain the mystery a bit more but all I know is that it drove me mad repeatedly resetting and rewinding before I realised.. :oops:
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

Damn that chuntey!!! Gets me every time :D
namco
Manic Miner

Post by namco »

There is a section that doesn't load the first time around (it's not supposed to) and will only load when restarting the game after death.

So just let it load and leave it to do so like mentioned previously. It'll be fine!

Again thanks to Mark Jones (Ocean) as he was the one to tell me the above as to why that happened.