The best Speccy game by Microsphere: discussion

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
OldGamer
Drutt

Re: The best Speccy game by Microsphere: discussion

Post by OldGamer »

Tempted to go for Evolution as I play that a ton of times, I loved Wheelie too but I was bad at it. But my final decision goes with Skool Daze.
5MinuteRetro
Manic Miner

Post by 5MinuteRetro »

PeteProdge wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:55 pm Don't get me wrong, I have a soft spot for Wheelie...
I loved Wheelie and you've reminded me that I've often wondered and long meant to ask the techie types on here about the graphical style. Was there a technical benefit to the teabag/mesh effect used on the scrolling background? Or was it purely a stylistic choice? Either way, it's pretty unusual in that regard... I can't think of many other titles that employed that slightly ghostly look. I think it definitely added to Wheelie's atmosphere and appeal.
Retro stuff, real quick
YouTube: http://bit.ly/5MinuteRetro
Twitter: https://twitter.com/5MinuteRetro
hitm4n
Manic Miner

Post by hitm4n »

Wheelie was my first game from this group, loved it and with a bit of luck (random courses) i did beat the phantom rider back once or twice.

No brainer on the winner though. Skool Daze all the way. Pinging your pea shooter off Mr Whippets head to hit a shield, writing on the blackboard, trying to miss an entire lesson without getting caught (yep, can be done), all great stuff. The icing was being able to rename the teachers to your own hated few and shooting them instead :) Good times.
I don't have anything cool to put here, so i'll just be off now to see a priest with yeast stuck between his teeth and his friend called Keith who's a hairpiece thief...
DouglasReynholm
Manic Miner

Post by DouglasReynholm »

Sorry, though the skool games are obviously technically superior, I didn't get past writing crudities on the blackboard. Wheelie, however, I put hours into, so that will get my vote. I have spent quite a bit of time looking at the skoolkit disassemblies of the skool games though, a great tech achievement at the time.