The game called Cupid

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

The game called Cupid

Post by Ralf »

There is a game called Cupid in the database:

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 6&id=22791

I've never played it and I guess that you've never played it too ;) But it seems interesting enough
to at least give it a try...

And here the problems begin. The database says that it's present only on some Outlet compilation. So
I download this compilation, run it and some menu with list of programs appears but Cupid isn't there
on this list.

I'm really lost. Could I ask for some step by step instruction how to run it? Or maybe there is some error
in the database???
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Re: The game called Cupid

Post by Alessandro »

Ralf, the game is on the compilation .MGT disk image file (I didn't check the .DSK file because I remember Outlet came on Disciple/PlusD disks). To run it you will need to activate Disciple/PlusD emulation in your favorite emulator, then open a virtual boot disk image file. If you don't know how to create it, I have one ready here.

Enter RUN at the command prompt. Wait for the O.K. G+DOS, 0:1 message to appear. Then open the Outlet 100 .MGT image file and enter:

LOAD D1 "AUTOLOAD" (note: edited, see below)

A loading screen will appear and a music will play. Press any key and the menu listing all the software on the Outlet issue will appear. Press U to load the presentation screen for Cupid. Press R to load the game. Press 1 in the menu screen to redefine the keys.
Last edited by Alessandro on Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

Thanks Alessandro! It worked for me!

Actually it was LOAD D1 "AUTOLOAD", not LOAD D1 "AUTORUN" but I found it myself,

AS you said there is also +3 disk version of this Outlet edition and I tried it first as I was
more familiar how to work with it.

If you check it, Cupid is missing from .dsk version. The menu is different.

But it doesn't matter as finally I'm able to check it. Just maybe not today ;)
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

:o Oops... yes you are right, I amended the above post accordingly. I am tired now and missed that. In fact, all Outlet issues have an "AUTOLOAD" file - it is a feature of PlusD disks employed in order to load a program instantly off the boot disk.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

And here's the recording of this game:

http://www.rzxarchive.co.uk/c/cupid.zip

https://youtu.be/5FImzH5bcKE

Personally I was quite surprised by the quality which is really good for a bedroom made game. It's also quite big, having over 100 locations, I guess.
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

For those who want to play Cupid without resorting to PlusD emulation and/or on real hardware, I extracted the PlusD snapshot from the Outlet 100 MGT disk image to a .SNA file and then converted it to a .TAP using John Elliott's sna2tap. You can download both files from here.