The best Speccy game by Microsphere: vote

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...

The best Speccy game by Microsphere

Poll ended at Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:49 am

Back To Skool
26%
Contact Sam Cruise
6%
Crevasse
3%
Evolution
No votes
Hotfoot
No votes
Skool Daze
40%
Sky Ranger
3%
Train Game, The
3%
Wheelie
20%

Total votes: 35

Ersh
Manic Miner

Re: The best Speccy game by Microsphere: vote

Post by Ersh »

Nick wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:49 am 1. Back To Skool
2. Contact Sam Cruise
3. Skool Daze
Spot on.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

While I liked both Skool games, I found the puzzles/tasks in Skool Daze a bit more fun as they were simpler, I had more of a feeling that I was progressing and could finish the game.

The inclusion of the second skool building in BTS was a nice addition, but I found the puzzles a bit convoluted, particularly to get through the gate between the buildings (finding the water pistol to water the plant, getting and riding the bike etc). Even with a walkthrough I couldn't get to grips with it too well.
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

Tricky choice. I didn't play any of these much. I did have Wheelie but it was fiddly to play. Mind you, that didn't stop RARE ripping off the infiltrate/escape concept for that god-awful 'Sabre Wulf' game on the GBA. Sky Ranger is technically impressive but there isn't much gameplay there. And it would be better if set-up for twin-joystick control like Tomahawk or Air Inferno (arcade). And I just couldn't get into Skool Daze when I tried it.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

There we have it. Skool Daze (which topped the original A-Z poll for the letter S) is the winner here with 14 votes, with its sequel Back To Skool coming second (9 votes).

Quite surprised at Wheelie coming in third place (7 votes).

Not that much love for the fourth-placed Contact Sam Cruise (2 votes). I see this as a spiritual successor to the school games. It's clearly a different theme but the same kind of game engine is used here.

I'm also surprised that there have been votes for the rather primitive games. Yep, in fifth place, we have one vote each for Crevasse, Sky Ranger and The Train Game. Odd choices, but hey, that's what expressing your opinion is all about.

Interestingly, the proportional voting system has both Skool games jointly at the top, with 11 points each, and Contact Sam Cruise is in second. Wheelie is third...

11 Back To Skool
11 Skool Daze
5 Contact Sam Cruise
3 Wheelie

Now, user 'Ersh' quoted a proportional vote from Nick as "spot on". I didn't count that as a vote from Ersh in the above calculation. (Please, no ambiguity) If I did, though...

14 Back To Skool
14 Skool Daze
7 Contact Sam Cruise
3 Wheelie

...hmm, no change to the order.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!