Boom & Popcorn

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
PeterJ
Site Admin

Boom & Popcorn

Post by PeterJ »

Hi all,

I'm making some screenshots for [mention]R-Tape[/mention] for the TRD format games in the latest update. Battle City was fine, and I have sent the screens to [mention]R-Tape[/mention], but i'm having trouble with Boom & Popcorn and can't get them to load. I just the following screens with the mouse pointer frozen. I'm using Spectaculator 8 and have tried both Pentagon and Scorpion emulation.

Boom
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 6&id=34806

Popcorn
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 6&id=34807

Any help appreciated.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Re: Boom & Popcorn

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Make sure the Kempston Joystick interface is enabled and you’ll be fine. The emulated machine doesn’t have to be a Russian clone, either.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Ast A. Moore wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:32 pm Make sure the Kempston Joystick interface is enabled and you’ll be fine. The emulated machine doesn’t have to be a Russian clone, either.
Thanks. I will try that. On the boot screen I can operate the mouse with the keyboard, so assumed it would be the same in-game.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

PeterJ wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:52 pm
Ast A. Moore wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:32 pm Make sure the Kempston Joystick interface is enabled and you’ll be fine. The emulated machine doesn’t have to be a Russian clone, either.
Thanks. I will try that. On the boot screen I can operate the mouse with the keyboard, so assumed it would be the same in-game.
In Boom, you simply press the letters on the keyboard (I still have no idea what that’s supposed to represent). In Popcorn, however, I was unable to move the paddle with the keyboard or the emulated Kempston joystick. But both games ran fine for me in Fuse (emulating the 128K Toastrack).

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Thanks very much for testing.
djnzx48
Manic Miner

Post by djnzx48 »

They're both BASIC games, so you can just break into them and look at the keys. For Popcorn:

1: select tune 1
2: select tune 2
Z: move paddle left
X: move paddle right

The boot screen is unrelated to the game itself, it's just there to make the game easier to start.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Hmm. I figured out the “1” and “2” keys, but I’m pretty sure I tried smashing “Z” and “X” to no avail. I guess I wasn’t patient enough.