What is the Easiest Manic Miner / Jet Set Willy Clone?

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Re: What is the Easiest Manic Miner / Jet Set Willy Clone?

Post by Ralf »

One thing I'd love to see, that I don't think has been done yet, is a platform game that is purely an experience — no baddies that kill, no spikes, no deadly falls (okay maybe deadly falls). It's something I plan to have a bash at myself one day, but I just don't have an idea for a theme yet. I suppose we're wandering away from games and into "art", but I think it could work.
It's called "walking simulator" :)
https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/walking-simulator

And yes, some people consider it an art, some people don't consider it a game.
It would br curious to see something like that on Spectrum but it definitely needs to be good and original at aestethics.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Re: What is the Easiest Manic Miner / Jet Set Willy Clone?

Post by R-Tape »

Ralf wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:22 am It's called "walking simulator" :)
https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/walking-simulator

And yes, some people consider it an art, some people don't consider it a game.
It would br curious to see something like that on Spectrum but it definitely needs to be good and original at aestethics.
Ah yes, I remember this "genre". Modern games seem to be a mix of strolling and puzzles.

Agreed, on the Speccy, it would definitely need fantastic graphics and an especially interesting theme.

I do recall something that came close to this genre but was never finish or released: "apenao", a Spanish guy that was very active during the CGC a few years back, as a gift to his son, made a compiled BASIC tour of his local town (Seville?). I remember a map view and a zoo. (Actually it would be good to get this into ZXDB if anyone has more info, and even better some files).