Which Speccy game would you put in an arcade?

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
SteveSmith
Berk

Re: Which Speccy game would you put in an arcade?

Post by SteveSmith » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:05 pm

Dan Dare 3? I never played it, but it has to be one of the best looking games on the Speccy.
0 x

DenisGrachev
Berk

Post by DenisGrachev » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:05 pm

You'll be surprised but there are WAS arcades with Speccy games in USSR even in my little city. As far i remember there was a Harrier Attack and Crazy Cars 2 cabinets i played at 1990-1991. There was another speccy cabinets all around USSR with different games we discussed it some time ago at zx.pk.ru
4 x

hikoki
Manic Miner

Post by hikoki » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:11 pm

I quite enjoyed playing Tourmaline. Colourful and apparently easy to play but you have to die many times.
0 x

PeteProdge
Manic Miner

Post by PeteProdge » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:38 pm

DenisGrachev wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:05 pm
You'll be surprised but there are WAS arcades with Speccy games in USSR even in my little city. As far i remember there was a Harrier Attack and Crazy Cars 2 cabinets i played at 1990-1991. There was another speccy cabinets all around USSR with different games we discussed it some time ago at zx.pk.ru
How did that all work then? Has my hypothetical situation actually happened!? This is astonishing!

I remember Nintendo having a few cabinets that would let you play a few NES games, you put in a coin and you'd have a timer clock counting down ten minutes. Insert coins for more time on the game.
0 x
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here now!
Episode 1: Out Run on the ZX Spectrum 48, 128 and other machines

Sokurah
Microbot

Post by Sokurah » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:33 pm

DenisGrachev wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:05 pm
I know a few of these - they're all in MAME.
  • Brodjaga
    This is 'Inspector Gadget and the Circus of Fear (Melbourne House 1987)'.
  • Czernyj Korabl
    This is Black Beard (Topo Soft 1988).
  • Povar, Sobrat' Buran and Agroprom.
    These are Cookie, Jetpac and Pssst (Ultimate 1983).
I think there's a few more, but these are the ones I can remember.
1 x
Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games.
My games for the Spectrum: Dingo, The Speccies, The Speccies 2, Vallation & Sqij.
Twitter: Sokurah

PeteProdge
Manic Miner

Post by PeteProdge » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:37 pm

Well, the revelations from Russia have truly dropped my jaw.

I thought the closest we'd ever have of getting a ZX Spectrum in the arcade would be Sega's 1980 game Carnival, which although isn't running on any ZX Spectrum hardware, visually it really does have that feel...

...same colour palette (minus the BRIGHT 0 set) and even has the colour clash.

Yeah, it's in portrait mode instead of landscape, and the resolution is 224 x 256, so it's kind of like adding another four rows of cells to a Speccy display and turning it 90 degrees.
0 x
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here now!
Episode 1: Out Run on the ZX Spectrum 48, 128 and other machines

Juan F. Ramirez
Rick Dangerous

Post by Juan F. Ramirez » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:34 pm

Turtle_Quality wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:09 pm

Stop the Express
I've always thought this game was a conversion of an arcade game, it looks very arcade-ish, and curiously I came across next game by chance some days ago: Challenger for the Famicom (the japanese NES, if I'm not wrong).

I made some research and it was released in Japan in 1985 (Stop the Express was published in 1983) and both were coded by Hudson Soft, from Japan.

So the first version was made for the Spectrum. In the japanese console version the character goes from left to right (the opposite in Stop the Express). The rest are similar.

Checking other Hudson Soft games I see all are games that must have been converted to arcades (Eric and the Floaters is just great!)
1 x

p13z
Berk

Post by p13z » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:30 am

Cookie. But you'd have to modify it somehow to disable the boring method of winning/cheating.
0 x
:!: :idea: :?:

p13z
Berk

Post by p13z » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:40 am

And Horace Goes Skiing.
1 x
:!: :idea: :?:

Hank Scorpio
Dizzy

Post by Hank Scorpio » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:32 am

Escape
3D Tunnel
Cosmic Cruiser
Pedro
1 x