The best Speccy game by Imagine: vote

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...

The best Speccy game by Imagine

Poll ended at Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:38 pm

Ah Diddums
No votes
Alchemist
2%
Arcadia
2%
Arkanoid
No votes
Arkanoid - Revenge Of Doh
2%
Athena
No votes
B.C. Bill
2%
Cosmic Cruiser
No votes
Dragon Ninja
No votes
Galivan - Cosmo Police
No votes
Green Beret
17%
Guerrilla War
No votes
Hyper Sports
8%
Jumping Jack
6%
Konami's Golf
No votes
Konami's Tennis
2%
Legend Of Kage
No votes
Mag Max
No votes
Mikie
No votes
Molar Maul
No votes
Movie
6%
Pedro
No votes
Ping Pong
2%
Play For Your Life
No votes
Psycho Soldier
No votes
Rastan
2%
Renegade
10%
Renegade III
No votes
Schizoids
2%
Slap Fight
No votes
Stonkers
2%
Super Soccer
No votes
Target: Renegade
27%
Terra Cresta
2%
Typhoon
No votes
Victory Road
No votes
Vindicator, The
No votes
WEC Le Mans
2%
World Series Baseball
No votes
World Series Basketball
No votes
Yie Ar Kung-Fu
No votes
Yie Ar Kung-Fu II
No votes
Zip-Zap
No votes
Zzoom
2%

Total votes: 48

Vampyre
Manic Miner

Re: The best Speccy game by Imagine: vote

Post by Vampyre »

Joefish wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:34 pm Looking back, they were churning out arcade versions of some fairly mediocre arcade games. I mean, were people really crying out for the chance to play Mag Max or Legend of Kage at home, or were the software houses so short of (or maybe afraid of) original ideas they'd convert anything going? I guess the appeal of arcade conversions was you could pretend you were playing something with better graphics.
I could be wrong here but I have a vague memory that they wouldn't necessarily buy the rights to individual arcade games (I reckon that changed from 1987/88 onwards) but to whatever arcade machines the manufacturer released over a given time. So that's why there was tripe like Mag Max, Rygar, etc which weren't very good arcade games to begin with, but they might as well do crappy conversions and put them out anyway.

Then when the PC Engine and Megadrive arrived in 87/88 the arcade manufacturers cottoned on to the kind of money they could make from licencing deals.

Probably wrong, but I got that impression from somewhere.
ZX Spectrum Reviews REST API: http://zxspectrumreviews.co.uk/
beanz
Microbot

Post by beanz »

Stonkers, I don't consider the "later" games really Imagine. Imagine in name only.
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

Vampyre wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:50 pm I could be wrong here but I have a vague memory that they wouldn't necessarily buy the rights to individual arcade games (I reckon that changed from 1987/88 onwards) but to whatever arcade machines the manufacturer released over a given time. So that's why there was tripe like Mag Max, Rygar, etc which weren't very good arcade games to begin with, but they might as well do crappy conversions and put them out anyway.
Could be true - except I actually liked the arcade Rygar! Although mainly for the graphics; the colourful worm sprites and the parallax scenery - but yes, there was certainly no point converting it to the Speccy; particularly with a load of stuff missed out. Thundercats did the same but much better for home systems.
Vampyre wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:50 pm Then when the PC Engine and Megadrive arrived in 87/88 the arcade manufacturers cottoned on to the kind of money they could make from licencing deals.
I always thought the main thing counting against the MegaDrive was its emphasis on the sort of flash-in-the-pan arcade games SEGA liked to produce. They'd take your money off you for a mind-blowing graphical (and moving-cabinet) experience, but at home, to play over and over again, you don't necessarily want a game that's designed to kill you ASAP to move on to the next punter. I suppose that's true for a lot of arcade conversions.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

1. Target; Renegade
2. Hypersports
3. World Series Baseball
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
WIWC
Manic Miner

Post by WIWC »

Target: Renegade's success will always remain a mystery to me.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

It's perilously hot conkers.

I voted Rastan. I think it's underrated. Huge sprites, great atmosphere, and a majestic sweep of the sword that puts the C64 version to shame (though to be fair, every system has its howlers). The game is also a challenge, with no easy way to rely on a flying kick in microgravity.

And despite having a pop, Target Renegade is my second choice! I don't feel I can vote Renegade as well, and as much as I've enjoyed Green Beret, it has a Cobra-esque feel of technical exercise + game to me. It's more based on what I know about it than have experiences about it, but my third vote is Movie.

1 - Rastan
2 - Target Renegade
3 - Movie
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

It's great to say that the best game won. Well done to Target: Renegade, scooping the top slot with 13 votes.

Green Beret is second with 8 votes.

Renegade is third with 5 votes.

Hyper Sports doesn't make the podium, as it's fourth with 4 votes.

The first sighting of a pre-Ocean Imagine game is at fifth place. Jointly, on 3 votes each, we have: Jumping Hack and Movie.

Sixth place, 1 vote each: Alchemist; Arcadia; Arkanoid - Revenge Of Doh; B.C. Bill; Konami's Tennis; Ping Pong; Rastan; Schizoids; Stonkers; Terra Cresta; WEC Le Mans; Zzoom.

Proportionally, it's close...

26 Target: Renegade
16 Green Beret
16 Hyper Sports
9 Renegade
7 Jumping Jack
5 Arkanoid
5 WEC Le Mans
4 Movie
3 Alchemist
3 Arcadia
3 Konami's Tennis
3 Ping Pong
3 Rastan
3 Zzoom
2 Arkanoid - Revenge Of Doh
2 Mikie
2 World Series Baseball
2 Yie Ar Kung fu
1 Terra Cresta
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!