Spectrum 128K Unique Releases

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
toot_toot
Manic Miner

Spectrum 128K Unique Releases

Post by toot_toot »

I’ve just managed to pick up a copy of Barry McGuigan’s Boxing for the 128K Spectrum, as in it’s a special, unique release for the 128K. I used to own this many years ago, but rather stupidly gave it away to a friend along with Ghostbusters 128K.

I know Activision don’t give permission for their games to be hosted, but there seems to be no reference at all to the 128K only version of Barry McGuigan on this site (it came in a jewel double cassette box, unlike the original which came in a single cassette box). Annoyingly there also doesn’t seem to be any snapshots available of the game, meaning I’d have to load it from tape every time instead of just firing up the sna on my DivMMC!

It also made me realise that there seems to be a few other games missing from this site that are 128K only - Ballblazer 128K is mentioned in the Barry McGuigan box as is a 128K version of Rescue on Fractalus (was that even ever released?) I know that there are also 128k versions of Ghostbusters and Hacker (again, no mention of Hacker 128k on this site?)

Are there snapshots available of these games, or should I try and make a tzx of Barry McGuigan to be stored “somewhere”? Also, is it possible to update the database to search for a “128k only release”, so we could easily find games like the Activision 128k releases or other 128k only releases such as Lode Runner?
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Re: Spectrum 128K Unique Releases

Post by Ralf »

Also, is it possible to update the database to search for a “128k only release”, so we could easily find games like the Activision 128k releases or other 128k only releases such as Lode Runner?
Try going to advanced search and choosing "Zx Spectrum 128K" (instead of "Zx Spectrum 48K/128K" ).
It may be not 100% correct, especially as there are other choices as for example Zx Spectrum +2 or so. If you like, you may report the
errors here in the forums.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

toot_toot wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:36 pmshould I try and make a tzx of Barry McGuigan to be stored “somewhere”?
If you send me the files in a PM, I will ensure everything is properly preserved until we get proper permission to distribute it publicly (exactly like Martijn used to do).
StooB
Dynamite Dan

Post by StooB »

Ralf wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:00 pm
Also, is it possible to update the database to search for a “128k only release”, so we could easily find games like the Activision 128k releases or other 128k only releases such as Lode Runner?
Try going to advanced search and choosing "Zx Spectrum 128K" (instead of "Zx Spectrum 48K/128K" ).
It may be not 100% correct, especially as there are other choices as for example Zx Spectrum +2 or so. If you like, you may report the
errors here in the forums.
This doesn't work. The only 128k only releases that are individually identified in the database are the ones that were given a different name, like Sweevo's Whirled or Technician Ted: The Megamix. So you get the odd situation where the 128k version of Art Studio, Advanced Art Studio gets it's own entry, while the 128k versions of Icon Graphix and The Artist II just get a comment of "128k version available". Many separate 128k releases don't even get a comment at all.

All these releases have separate 128k versions:

Ballblazer
Ghostbusters
Hacker
Barry McGuigan's Boxing
Icon Graphix
The Rocky Horror Show
Gladiator
Rasputin
A Question of Scruples
The Planets
Knight Tyme
Spellbound
Stormbringer
Austerlitz
Confrontation
Waterloo
Three Weeks in Paradise
Daley Thompson's Supertest
The NeverEnding Story
Nodes of Yesod
Robin of the Wood
The Writer
The Artist II
Lode Runner
Fairlight
Fairlight II
The Arc of Yedod
Winter Games
Double Dragon II: The Revenge
Samantha Fox Strip Poker
toot_toot
Manic Miner

Post by toot_toot »

Thanks StooB for posting that list, yes it's quite difficult searching for those versions of the games when they don't have an unique name (like you said, Sweevo's Whirled).
toot_toot
Manic Miner

Post by toot_toot »

Another “feature” that would be nice is to also have 128k “remixes”, ie the games that have since received 128k enhancements, for example Sacred Armour of Antiriad with its nice AY rendition of the classic tune, the 128k enhanced Barbarian, etc.

It seems quite fragmented trying to track these enhanced games and some really benefit from the 128K sound etc. It would be nice to have a search option for “128k enhanced version available” or something.
toot_toot
Manic Miner

Post by toot_toot »

Kind of off topic, I couldn’t manage to make a working WAV or TZX of Barry McG 128k, however I’ve made a snapshot with my DivMMC, so thankfully I don’t need to load from tape every time!

I did try searching for the rom but it really does seem to be missing from every site as well as from my TOSEC collection.

Is it an MIA or is there a TZX of the game (for history reasons, of course!!)
RMartins
Manic Miner

Post by RMartins »

toot_toot wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:14 pm Kind of off topic, I couldn’t manage to make a working WAV or TZX of Barry McG 128k, however I’ve made a snapshot with my DivMMC, so thankfully I don’t need to load from tape every time!
Has long has you have a proper mono to stereo cable, you should be able to save an audio file.

Then it should be easy to convert it to a digital form (NON audio).
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

Well, in this case, I think old Martjin's advanced search on wos is certainly more flexible.
For example, its possible to get the result for the following query:
All exclusive games only, for Spectrum 128K +3, released until 1992.
http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseek ... loadpics=0
I would like to have such a search engine here as well.