The 'looking for a game' thread.

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
R-Tape
Site Admin

The 'looking for a game' thread.

Post by R-Tape »

This could be a thread for general requests of this nature.

I'm trying to remember a game:

Old school, UDGish and ROM font, some would call it crap. There was a black screen with some kind of random grid/map generated on it, and you did all manner of quests. There might have been a spider involved. Some quests may have been text based. I definitely remember some of them being massively unfair.

Does this ring any bells?
spider
Dynamite Dan

Re: The 'looking for a game' thread.

Post by spider »

My first thought was 'Out of the Shadows' but that's too graphical but UDG'ey , and relatively colourful too.

I then thought of "Ring of darkness" but that's quite colourful as well and relatively speaking, similar to the above.

As a completely random sidenote: you may recall the former appeared on that 4most Adventures compilation, however the CPC version of that compilation tape had the latter instead, despite both games being 'out and about' , no idea why that was the case. Thought about licening issues but in that case then it would of likely not appeared for the CPC either at that moment. /end of randomness.

Back on topic the following from a cursory search might either be the game in question or if not may jog your memory a bit more ? :)

Troll Tunnels

Broodslayer

Journey's End

The Valley

Black Crystal

The Eye Of Star Warrior

Wizard Castle

Adv3: The Satan's Crystals
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Thanks spider, but none of the above. I wouldn't have filed it under RPG anyway; I've just checked everything in that genre and it's not there. Maybe Adventure, but I'm not sure, and that's loads of pages to check...

I'm almost 100% certain it was black paper, with a map of (perhaps) cyan or yellow lines linking UDG locations.
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Abyss maybe? I wouldn't call it crap though, I enjoyed it back in the day (as an Italian unauthorized translation on a Load 'n' Run tape magazine issue), and the quests seemed rather fair to me. I never completed it anyway! :lol:
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Alessandro wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:39 am Abyss maybe? I wouldn't call it crap though, I enjoyed it back in the day (as an Italian unauthorized translation on a Load 'n' Run tape magazine issue),
YES! Thanks Ale.
and the quests seemed rather fair to me. I never completed it anyway! :lol:
Yeah it's not so unfair. Like anything, I suppose it needs a bit of practise. On the first try you may have to do rudimentary maths quickly or input a word that flashes up for a femtosecond. I think I based my early opinion on that, but one quickly learns to be to be alert and ready for a challenge.
spider
Dynamite Dan

Post by spider »

Would be genuinely interested if you find out what it actually was, and how well it 'compares to your recollection/memory of it too. It does sound vaguely interesting actually. :)

Having said that, some of the titles I listed in my post yesterday looked half interesting to me too :lol: so I may have to go back and try them out now! :mrgreen:
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

spider wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:20 pm Would be genuinely interested if you find out what it actually was, and how well it 'compares to your recollection/memory of it too. It does sound vaguely interesting actually. :)
It's Abyss. I got it in the end. No thanks to Alessandro. Ahem ;)
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

I'm trying to remember the name of a submarine flip screen game: the empty background is blue, submarine yellow. Walls were either mainly red or yellow brick. You had to get from point A to point B, maybe collecting fuel or air along the way. It's not a vector game, but if you hit the walls you die. I recall it being very hard. First impressions were a bit crap, but it really grew on me.

Does this ring any bells? Some details may have fallen victim to the vicissitudes of memory.
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

I've got THAT SINKING FEELING that you can remember it.
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

I know it is kind of obvious, but can be The Yellow Submarine? Background is not blue but... (https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/2 ... _Submarine)

And there is one called "Submarino Amarillo" - https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/4 ... o_Amarillo

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

MatGubbins wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:49 am I've got THAT SINKING FEELING that you can remember it.
Nope! It's from the classic era.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

druellan wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:43 am The Yellow Submarine?
Nope! It looked more polished than that.
Submarino Amarillo
No, but closer, and it looks worth investigating in its own right.
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

Here's one which has bothered me for ages:
-you are a knight (?) in a labyrinth
-the view is top down, corridors fit the avatar, kinda like in a roguelike
-the walls have brick pattern and there are "crosses" (Christian) in the design - super fuzzy memory, perhaps it's not like that at all
-the name of the game is Avalon, but of course it isn't that Avalon, it's just a word that comes up when I think of that game. It (or some variation) could have something to do with the game or be a complete red herring.

Human memory, it's a funny ol' thing, eh.
jdanddiet
Manic Miner

Post by jdanddiet »

Go to hell has a lot of crosses!
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

Rev_Stuart_Campbell wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:39 am Cavelon?
Man alive! My decades-long quest is finally complete...much obliged.

So my long-term memory ain't that bad after all...got most of these things right. And the door pieces! - now it's all coming back. Cavelon-Avalon, hmmm, oh, well. Just about 8-)
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Can't remember a game from the classic era:

Top down with rooms and chambers in some kind of space base. A bit like Project Future but the rooms are more obvious (and the game is better!). Mostly black floor. The walls had lots of green. You may or may not have to rescue some hostages.

Any ideas?
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

One game that I used to play was something to do with a Volcano. It was an early 80s game owned by one of my mates who had a Speccy but only had very crap games. I think we all had a mate who's parents bought them a computer without knowing that their son was not remotely interested in computers. I remember that the top 1/4 of the screen was a simple pic of a town and the rest 3/4's of the screen was green with a maze in it. In the maze were UDG's of red lumps, which I assume were lava and figures that you had to save. I've created a very poor reproduction here:

Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

R-Tape wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:40 pmYou may or may not have to rescue some hostages.

Any ideas?
Obvious one - Rescue?
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Morkin wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:25 pm Obvious one - Rescue?
Yep! Rescue. I knew it wasn't obscure. And I was fairly sure it was a scientists rescue but didn't want to risk confusing it.
It is your job to get the experiments and the scientists off the base and away to safety. The experiments are only of any use if the correct scientists are rescued with them.
Thanks!
clebin
Manic Miner

Post by clebin »

stupidget wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:09 pm One game that I used to play was something to do with a Volcano. It was an early 80s game owned by one of my mates who had a Speccy but only had very crap games. I think we all had a mate who's parents bought them a computer without knowing that their son was not remotely interested in computers. I remember that the top 1/4 of the screen was a simple pic of a town and the rest 3/4's of the screen was green with a maze in it. In the maze were UDG's of red lumps, which I assume were lava and figures that you had to save. I've created a very poor reproduction here:

Looks like Pitman Seven, only your graphics are better!
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Morkin wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:25 pm
R-Tape wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:40 pmYou may or may not have to rescue some hostages.

Any ideas?
Obvious one - Rescue?
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

It's a spectrum game - I didn't expect the name to be intuitive! I thought something like Barmy Bob's Space Adventure would be more likely.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

R-Tape wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:11 pm It's a spectrum game - I didn't expect the name to be intuitive! I thought something like Barmy Bob's Space Adventure would be more likely.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

I'm obviously aware that too many Spectrum games don't have meaningful titles. This is a well established tradition, together with loading screens that have nothing to do with the actual game (sometimes inlay screenshots too!)

But we shouldn't allow mere facts to get in the way of a good joke. :)
Evil Genius
Manic Miner

Post by Evil Genius »

R-Tape wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:11 pmBarmy Bob's Space Adventure
needs to be a real game!