Out of context Spectrum games

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Re: Out of context Spectrum games

Post by Ralf »

Some dark stuff here:

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

AndyC wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:29 am Some of those have to have been intentional references, right?
I'd like to know too. Google shows at least 4 "Hungry Horace" greasy spoons situated in or near London, Marske by the Sea, Bristol, York. At least one of these must be a spec-chum, if not all. Is anyone here nearby, or already a regular (or even the owner!) able to shed any light on these?
Fahnn
Microbot

Post by Fahnn »

R-Tape wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:34 pm
AndyC wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:29 am Some of those have to have been intentional references, right?
I'd like to know too. Google shows at least 4 "Hungry Horace" greasy spoons situated in or near London, Marske by the Sea, Bristol, York. At least one of these must be a spec-chum, if not all. Is anyone here nearby, or already a regular (or even the owner!) able to shed any light on these?
I can do Hungry Horace in Marske as I need to get my car an MOT and the garage I go to is about 400 yards away. I'll definitely ask!
lister_of_smeg
Microbot

Post by lister_of_smeg »

R-Tape wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:34 pm
Not necessarily...

'Hungry Horace' has been a comic book character for years:-

https://ukcomics.fandom.com/wiki/Hungry_Horace

I've also heard it used as an idiom ("Look at 'im scoffin' that pie down, 'ee's a right 'ungry 'orace!") by people who wouldn't even know what a Spectrum was.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

lister_of_smeg wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:16 pm Not necessarily...

'Hungry Horace' has been a comic book character for years:-

https://ukcomics.fandom.com/wiki/Hungry_Horace
Ah yes, I'd forgotten the Dandy's Hungry Horace, this is how I remember him - like a podgy Dennis the Menace:

I've also heard it used as an idiom ("Look at 'im scoffin' that pie down, 'ee's a right 'ungry 'orace!") by people who wouldn't even know what a Spectrum was.
I've never heard that, but I like it! (I'm not doubting it)
The 'Hungry Horace' I posted is in Redcar, BTW - so that makes five that we know of! ;)
No that's the Marske one that Fahhn mentions (near Redcar).

Any which way, it'd be interesting to know which of these, if any, applies to the greasy spoons in question.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Took this photo on holiday in Canada a few years back:

...And of course, there's always:

;)
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
Fahnn
Microbot

Post by Fahnn »

R-Tape wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:38 pm
lister_of_smeg wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:16 pm The 'Hungry Horace' I posted is in Redcar, BTW - so that makes five that we know of! ;)
No that's the Marske one that Fahhn mentions (near Redcar).
Actually lister is right, it is in Redcar, it's on Moore Street, which is one of the roads linking the High Street to the Coast Road. But when I first looked on Google Maps it looked to be in the square in Marske. Very weird. Maybe there actually are two?

But it barely makes a difference anyway (in fact it means it's much closer). I can walk there in ten minutes (not now though, it'll be shut). I'll do it tomorrow and take pictures.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

I'm tempted to pop into Blaby's Double Dragon restaurant - it's an hour's drive away - to ask if their name's inspiration came from two brothers fighting their way across streets to a crazy villain's palace. Who knows what I'll receive, apart from a Cantonese take-away?
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

PeteProdge wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:11 pm I'm tempted to pop into Blaby's Double Dragon restaurant - it's an hour's drive away - to ask if their name's inspiration came from two brothers fighting their way across streets to a crazy villain's palace. Who knows what I'll receive, apart from a Cantonese take-away?
Haha please do! What's the worst thing that can happen?

I never knew that "Blaby", as you call it, is a place. If only we could reload a reality in which Blaby got the DD deal. Actually maybe not...
Fahnn
Microbot

Post by Fahnn »

It's a shame I don't actually have a copy of Hungry Horace to take along with me. I've got Horace Goes Skiing as it was one of the ones in the game pack that came with my original Spectrum. I'll take that instead. Close enough, right?

Looking forward to this now. Gonna get a bacon bun. Or maybe a bacon and egg bun. Or perhaps I'll be tempted for a full-on sit-down breakfast. So many options!
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Fahnn wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:30 pm It's a shame I don't actually have a copy of Hungry Horace to take along with me. I've got Horace Goes Skiing as it was one of the ones in the game pack that came with my original Spectrum. I'll take that instead. Close enough, right?
Yep, and spec-chum pics/selfies will get bonus points :)
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

R-Tape wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:27 pm
PeteProdge wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:11 pm I'm tempted to pop into Blaby's Double Dragon restaurant - it's an hour's drive away - to ask if their name's inspiration came from two brothers fighting their way across streets to a crazy villain's palace. Who knows what I'll receive, apart from a Cantonese take-away?
Haha please do! What's the worst thing that can happen?
Well, the next video for Reheated Pixels (see signature) is about Double Dragon. This could be an ideal opportunity to travel tens of miles just to film something that'll be on screen for about five seconds for a quick laugh. Just like the previous video, really. I think this is a must!
R-Tape wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:27 pmI never knew that "Blaby", as you call it, is a place. If only we could reload a reality in which Blaby got the DD deal. Actually maybe not...
Oh yes, it's the same town. About a block or two away from Double Dragon! The building is now just miscellaneous shops and small banks. Mind you, it had always pretty much been that way back in the day. I *think* Blaby Computer Games sprung out of a television rentals place there.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

PeteProdge wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:52 pm Well, the next video for Reheated Pixels (see signature) is about Double Dragon. This could be an ideal opportunity to travel tens of miles just to film something that'll be on screen for about five seconds for a quick laugh. Just like the previous video, really. I think this is a must!
Works for me. Just like Silverstone, I get the laugh without having to do the ground work. Even better if you can convince the (presumably soon to be bewildered) owner to give a thumbs-up that the Speccy version "could do better" :mrgreen:
Sokurah
Manic Miner

Post by Sokurah »

Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games.
My games for the Spectrum: Dingo, The Speccies, The Speccies 2, Vallation & Sqij.
Twitter: Sokurah
Spud
Manic Miner

Post by Spud »

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

That's totally in context!
Spud
Manic Miner

Post by Spud »

Next thing you're going to claim the earth isn't flat :(
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

XvarZ
Drutt

Post by XvarZ »

Not really a spectrum game but Sinclair related nonetheless ;)

Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:29 pm Image
'Nabulus'? Close, but no prize for you! :mrgreen: :lol: