Out of context Spectrum games

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
Ralf
Dynamite Dan

Re: Out of context Spectrum games

Post by Ralf » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:28 pm

Some dark stuff here:

2 x

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:34 pm

AndyC wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:29 am
Some of those have to have been intentional references, right?
I'd like to know too. Google shows at least 4 "Hungry Horace" greasy spoons situated in or near London, Marske by the Sea, Bristol, York. At least one of these must be a spec-chum, if not all. Is anyone here nearby, or already a regular (or even the owner!) able to shed any light on these?
0 x

Fahnn
Microbot

Post by Fahnn » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:58 pm

R-Tape wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:34 pm
AndyC wrote:
I'd like to know too. Google shows at least 4 "Hungry Horace" greasy spoons situated in or near London, Marske by the Sea, Bristol, York. At least one of these must be a spec-chum, if not all. Is anyone here nearby, or already a regular (or even the owner!) able to shed any light on these?
I can do Hungry Horace in Marske as I need to get my car an MOT and the garage I go to is about 400 yards away. I'll definitely ask!
1 x

lister_of_smeg
Berk

Post by lister_of_smeg » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:16 pm

R-Tape wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:34 pm
AndyC wrote:
Not necessarily...

'Hungry Horace' has been a comic book character for years:-

https://ukcomics.fandom.com/wiki/Hungry_Horace

I've also heard it used as an idiom ("Look at 'im scoffin' that pie down, 'ee's a right 'ungry 'orace!") by people who wouldn't even know what a Spectrum was.
2 x

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:38 pm

lister_of_smeg wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:16 pm
Not necessarily...

'Hungry Horace' has been a comic book character for years:-

https://ukcomics.fandom.com/wiki/Hungry_Horace
Ah yes, I'd forgotten the Dandy's Hungry Horace, this is how I remember him - like a podgy Dennis the Menace:

I've also heard it used as an idiom ("Look at 'im scoffin' that pie down, 'ee's a right 'ungry 'orace!") by people who wouldn't even know what a Spectrum was.
I've never heard that, but I like it! (I'm not doubting it)
The 'Hungry Horace' I posted is in Redcar, BTW - so that makes five that we know of! ;)
No that's the Marske one that Fahhn mentions (near Redcar).

Any which way, it'd be interesting to know which of these, if any, applies to the greasy spoons in question.
1 x

Morkin
Manic Miner

Post by Morkin » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:07 pm

Took this photo on holiday in Canada a few years back:

...And of course, there's always:

;)
2 x

Fahnn
Microbot

Post by Fahnn » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:08 pm

R-Tape wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:38 pm
lister_of_smeg wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:16 pm
The 'Hungry Horace' I posted is in Redcar, BTW - so that makes five that we know of! ;)
No that's the Marske one that Fahhn mentions (near Redcar).
Actually lister is right, it is in Redcar, it's on Moore Street, which is one of the roads linking the High Street to the Coast Road. But when I first looked on Google Maps it looked to be in the square in Marske. Very weird. Maybe there actually are two?

But it barely makes a difference anyway (in fact it means it's much closer). I can walk there in ten minutes (not now though, it'll be shut). I'll do it tomorrow and take pictures.
0 x

PeteProdge
Manic Miner

Post by PeteProdge » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:11 pm

I'm tempted to pop into Blaby's Double Dragon restaurant - it's an hour's drive away - to ask if their name's inspiration came from two brothers fighting their way across streets to a crazy villain's palace. Who knows what I'll receive, apart from a Cantonese take-away?
2 x
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here now!
Episode 1: Out Run on the ZX Spectrum 48, 128 and other machines

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:27 pm

PeteProdge wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:11 pm
I'm tempted to pop into Blaby's Double Dragon restaurant - it's an hour's drive away - to ask if their name's inspiration came from two brothers fighting their way across streets to a crazy villain's palace. Who knows what I'll receive, apart from a Cantonese take-away?
Haha please do! What's the worst thing that can happen?

I never knew that "Blaby", as you call it, is a place. If only we could reload a reality in which Blaby got the DD deal. Actually maybe not...
0 x

Fahnn
Microbot

Post by Fahnn » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:30 pm

It's a shame I don't actually have a copy of Hungry Horace to take along with me. I've got Horace Goes Skiing as it was one of the ones in the game pack that came with my original Spectrum. I'll take that instead. Close enough, right?

Looking forward to this now. Gonna get a bacon bun. Or maybe a bacon and egg bun. Or perhaps I'll be tempted for a full-on sit-down breakfast. So many options!
0 x