Head over Heels back on Steam

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
holycross
Berk

Head over Heels back on Steam

Post by holycross » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:39 pm

I just found it out today, and good news, it seems the people who released it own other Ocean ips...

Glad to see microcomputer games coming back.
1 x

RWAC
Berk

Re: Head over Heels back on Steam

Post by RWAC » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:14 am

Great game and I don't even like isometric games.
0 x

stupidget
Manic Miner

Post by stupidget » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:25 am

Saw this on Indie Retro News the other day and I must admit it looks fantastic. HoH is still in my top 10 games of all time, just brilliant.
0 x

DouglasReynholm
Microbot

Post by DouglasReynholm » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:04 pm

Just played this to completion under emulation. Usually I just dip in and out of games but HOH is just that good I had to finish it.
1 x

Joefish
Manic Miner

Post by Joefish » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:30 pm

I think I've played this one before. It has an annoying glitch that in this version, the doorframes protrude into the room such that you can get caught round the side of them. It's particularly annoying when you're trying to avoid a chasing hover-bot, or trying to jump across the doorway and turn to glide through it.
1 x

shallymoo
Berk

Post by shallymoo » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:15 am

Great Escape and Where Time Stood Still are also available on Steam (although do not appear to be the Spectrum Versions) - they form part of a Ocean Classics Volume 1
0 x

Einar Saukas
Manic Miner

Post by Einar Saukas » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:34 am

shallymoo wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:15 am
Great Escape and Where Time Stood Still are also available on Steam (although do not appear to be the Spectrum Versions) - they form part of a Ocean Classics Volume 1
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1824
0 x

8BitAG
Manic Miner

Post by 8BitAG » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:37 am

shallymoo wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:15 am
They are the DOS ports from back in the day. Not the best.

Although I imagine in this example its all above board, I always wonder when I see these things as to who has granted permission for their release and how the original contracts, regarding royalties, are honoured. It seems like an almost impossible task to track down the correct people to do things correctly, as we've seen in the past with some crowdfunded projects. Just getting permission from whoever says they own the IP doesn't, to me, seem to be enough.
0 x

Joefish
Manic Miner

Post by Joefish » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:21 am

Well, every case is going to be different. Though a lot of later in-house developers would have been on salaries, not royalties. As would have been people hired on fixed contracts to do conversions. And even if the employees had had sales-linked bonuses in their contracts, they're certainly not on those contracts any more!

It's more the titles of movie tie-ins like 'The Great Escape', or licenses of arcade conversions, where I wonder how they perpetuate.
I noticed that SEGA's 3DS version of Thunder Blade has had all the interstitial graphics they ripped off from Blue Thunder removed! :lol:
0 x

8BitAG
Manic Miner

Post by 8BitAG » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:11 pm

Joefish wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:21 am
It's more the titles of movie tie-ins like 'The Great Escape', or licenses of arcade conversions, where I wonder how they perpetuate.
Was The Great Escape actually a licensed game? I know it has the movie's music. It's one of those topics that I've heard arguments about in the past.
0 x