Complete release list

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
Theretrochief
Drutt

Complete release list

Post by Theretrochief »

Hi all,
Just joined up really to ask this question, but as I thoroughly intend to get back into Spectrum gaming after all these years I may well stick around for a while.
As a young 'un I had a 48k+ and then a +2...and these provided me with countless hours of joy as well as frustration at loading times! I want to introduce the joys of spectrum gaming to my own lad now he is of a similar age to I was at the time.
The problem is, there are a number of titles that I can see in my head but I cannot for the life of me remember the titles.

I'm sure it must be available, but I'm yet to find anything suitable yet and I'm not willing to put all my faith in Wikipedia.
I'm looking for a complete list of official, published games that were available in the U.K. I'm not interested in home brews, magazine games or anything released the spectrum was no longer officially supported
Basically I just want to see all official releases without any additional bloat. I can then look through and see if I recognise any of the missing names to go with the images in my head.

Hopefully someone on here may be able to point me in the right direction

Cheers,
TRC
RWAC
Manic Miner

Re: Complete release list

Post by RWAC »

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/games/index.html

That's a pretty comprehensive list.
Theretrochief
Drutt

Post by Theretrochief »

Indeed, I came across that. If I could output all those pages into one spreadsheet then I could work with that - I want to remove all the stuff that isn't in my requirements like things released after the end of life - so the whole lot needs to be sortable and in a file I can work with. :geek:
RWAC
Manic Miner

Post by RWAC »

If you can remember some details from the games, someone here can probably help you identify it.
Stefan
Manic Miner

Post by Stefan »

Theretrochief wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:46 am Indeed, I came across that. If I could output all those pages into one spreadsheet then I could work with that - I want to remove all the stuff that isn't in my requirements like things released after the end of life - so the whole lot needs to be sortable and in a file I can work with. :geek:
Have a look at zxinfo.dk - this is another frontend for zxdb (just like spectrum computing) but which offers more filter options (I've already included some in the url)

Unfortunately you cannot export the list, if you are keen (and know something about databases), you can create your own instance of zxdb and do what you want, see github.com/zxdb/ZXDB
Theretrochief
Drutt

Post by Theretrochief »

RWAC wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:22 pm If you can remember some details from the games, someone here can probably help you identify it.
Tricky to describe, but I suspect I'd know it if I saw it.

Top down adventure game. Seem to remember specific styled zones and detailed graphics. A similar style to sabre wulf but zoomed out a bit and not quite as 'mazey' or as rapid. Black background, highly coloured scenery.
Think the name was something similar to Rasputin or Rapscallion i.e. A one word title....maybe?!
Theretrochief
Drutt

Post by Theretrochief »

Stefan wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:55 pm
Theretrochief wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:46 am Indeed, I came across that. If I could output all those pages into one spreadsheet then I could work with that - I want to remove all the stuff that isn't in my requirements like things released after the end of life - so the whole lot needs to be sortable and in a file I can work with. :geek:
Have a look at zxinfo.dk - this is another frontend for zxdb (just like spectrum computing) but which offers more filter options (I've already included some in the url)

Unfortunately you cannot export the list, if you are keen (and know something about databases), you can create your own instance of zxdb and do what you want, see github.com/zxdb/ZXDB
That zxinfo.dk link looks good for starters tho.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

There's a PDF floating around somewhere online of just old game screenshots and titles. I have it on my home computer I think. If no-one knows the link I'll try & find it later.

What info would you like to see in your spreadsheet list? Just screenshots and titles? Someone may be able to query ZXDB for you.
Theretrochief wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:43 pm Top down adventure game. Seem to remember specific styled zones and detailed graphics. A similar style to sabre wulf but zoomed out a bit and not quite as 'mazey' or as rapid. Black background, highly coloured scenery.
Think the name was something similar to Rasputin or Rapscallion i.e. A one word title....maybe?!
Wizard's Lair? Ticks some of the boxes.
Theretrochief
Drutt

Post by Theretrochief »

R-Tape wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:56 pm There's a PDF floating around somewhere online of just old game screenshots and titles. I have it on my home computer I think. If no-one knows the link I'll try & find it later.

What info would you like to see in your spreadsheet list? Just screenshots and titles? Someone may be able to query ZXDB for you.

Wizard's Lair? Ticks some of the boxes.
No, wasn't that. But I did have that and had forgotten about it - recognised it immediately, that was great too, so I'm chuffed you've reminded me of it. We're in the right kind of area though I feel.
Pobulous
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pobulous »

Theretrochief
Drutt

Post by Theretrochief »

Basically, I have seen someone's rom list of games. But there's so much crap in there it's ridiculous. I want to see a list of only games that were officially released in the U.K. as standalone titles. No cover tapes, no self coded, nothing foreign, not multiple listings of the same thing. I want to refine his list using this to only offer things that I could have realistically played when I was a kid. I can then go through this, fire them up and find the ones I knew and make a new favourites list to enjoy them all over again.
Screenshots would be good too as would be able to recognise things without having to play them, but not a deal breaker.
Theretrochief
Drutt

Post by Theretrochief »

Pobulous wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:24 pm Firelord maybe?

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 96&id=1775
Nope, but again another I'd forgotten about. Cheers!

I've got a feeling it may have been more towards sci-fi rather than fantasy. It's possible you could have been a little ship flying around rather than a person walking.
8BitAG
Dynamite Dan

Post by 8BitAG »

Theretrochief wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:58 am I'm looking for a complete list of official, published games that were available in the U.K. I'm not interested in home brews, magazine games or anything released the spectrum was no longer officially supported
Interesting criteria, especially considering how blurred the lines between "homebrew" and "commercial" titles were, especially in the early days.

"No self-coded" made me grin too.
8-bit Text Adventure Gamer - games - research.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Hi, [mention]Theretrochief[/mention] , maybe one of these is the one you're looking for?

Tantalus?

Strontium Dog?

Or maybe NOMAD?
Theretrochief
Drutt

Post by Theretrochief »

8BitAG wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:56 pm
Theretrochief wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:58 am I'm looking for a complete list of official, published games that were available in the U.K. I'm not interested in home brews, magazine games or anything released the spectrum was no longer officially supported
Interesting criteria, especially considering how blurred the lines between "homebrew" and "commercial" titles were, especially in the early days.

"No self-coded" made me grin too.
Fair point, but I guess I'd have only been able to have things that enjoyed full releases through publishers/software houses rather than entirely self published/small scale releases. I also can't imagine it would have been super early. I would guess mid-80s onwards and pre-90s
Theretrochief
Drutt

Post by Theretrochief »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:02 pm Hi, @Theretrochief , maybe one of these is the one you're looking for?

Tantalus?

Strontium Dog?

Or maybe NOMAD?
We're getting close with Tantalus. But not quite. I think there were distinct zones with different style scenery
RWAC
Manic Miner

Post by RWAC »

Starquake?

palebulbouseyes
Drutt

Post by palebulbouseyes »

Theretrochief
Drutt

Post by Theretrochief »

Not familiar with Starquake or Equinox unfortunately
RWAC
Manic Miner

Post by RWAC »

On the Run

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Project Future? You sounded pretty sure it was a top down view.
Theretrochief
Drutt

Post by Theretrochief »

No to the last couple. Graphics were more adventurous/had greater detail than that.

Keep them coming though, finding some long-forgotten titles I'd played is great!!
RWAC
Manic Miner

Post by RWAC »

Terminus which I think was the sequel to Tantalus

Cybernoid

Doomskulle. I know you said it wasn't a covertape game but it has that Sabre Wulf look.

PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

If you just want a spreadsheet I can do that for you from the database that [mention]Einar Saukas[/mention] created which powers this site and others.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

This is a nice list of all the crash smashes, courtesy of Crash online.

http://www.crashonline.org.uk/misc/reviews.pdf