Impossible Mission D3M Release

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
jpnz
Manic Miner

Impossible Mission D3M Release

Post by jpnz »

Just a couple of observations about the D3M Release of Impossible Mission

In the bottom right corner of the loading screen is a credit - perhaps this is Nick Bruty?

The game does have quite a few bugs, but there's an additional and fundamental bug in the D3M release

There should be a list of 10 passwords (HIROSHIMA, SINGAPORE etc) starting at address 0xff9a

These are missing in this release and that's going to make the game very tricky to complete!
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Re: Impossible Mission D3M Release

Post by Ralf »

Yes, this is 100% Nick Bruty. He has the same signature on other screens.

By the way, compare this screen to the other screens of him. His later works are masterpieces but
this one is rather lame or maybe unfinished.

So people, any time when you create something humble, remember that the masters also started this way ;)
toot_toot
Manic Miner

Re: Impossible Mission D3M Release

Post by toot_toot »

I think the picture's not too bad, considering it's an interpretation of the neon styled cover!

I'd also love to see a 128k AY enhanced version of this. I remember seeing the original C64 version running in a local computer shop and I was very, very jealous. The game played great, the sprite looked awesome and the sound was incredible. I was so desperate to get this for the Spectrum!

When it was finally released (I believe it's one of the early US Gold games that were converted by Ocean?) the feels was very mixed. While it was good to play the game on the humble Speccy, and they did a pretty decent job with the graphics, the animation wasn't particularly good and the sound was really horrible.

While it might not be possible to fix the sprite, it would be great to get some AY sound and speech in the game!