What games are you better at now than you were 30 odd years ago?

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
stupidget
Manic Miner

What games are you better at now than you were 30 odd years ago?

Post by stupidget » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:08 pm

As the title suggests, I was wondering what games, if any, you're better at now than you were over 30 years ago?

I've just had a go on Penetrator (fnar fnar) and I got further than I ever did 37 years.

Games such as WANTED:Monty Mole have far more appeal now as I tend to take time playing them rather than just rushing in, dying several times, and thinking 'well this is crap'.

Don't get me wrong I'm still utterly w*nk at Uridium and I doubt anybody could be any better at Jack and the Beanstalk than they were BITD :lol:
Last edited by stupidget on Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

Joefish
Manic Miner

Re: What games are you better at now than you were 30 odd years ago?

Post by Joefish » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:18 pm

Never looped Manic Miner before, but I can now.
0 x

stupidget
Manic Miner

Post by stupidget » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:52 pm

Joefish wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:18 pm
Do you think that's because you now plan for each screen, whereas back in the 80's we'd just dive in and just try and get to the end?
0 x

RWAC
Berk

Post by RWAC » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:55 pm

I can't think of a single game that I'm better at now. I don't have the patience I had as a kid which certainly doesn't help.
0 x

stupidget
Manic Miner

Post by stupidget » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:15 pm

RWAC wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:55 pm
I can't think of a single game that I'm better at now. I don't have the patience I had as a kid which certainly doesn't help.
Blimey, as a kid I had zero, zilch, nada patience. I was the kind of kid that if the game didn't grab me in the first few screens/minutes then it was cleary rubbish. A fine example is Forest of Long Shadows, which was a type-in in Sinclair User in '86. I spent ages typing this game in, managed to get it to work after rechecking and correcting my errors to only think 'well this is all very boring isn't'. I've played it quite a few times since and it's actually a great little rogue-type RPG.

I remember my spoiled mate getting Thats the Spirit by The Edge (his parent bought him at least 2-3 games a month!!!) and being incredibly underwhelmed, but again I've played it since and quite enjoyed it.

The other side of the coin is Fairlight. I loved this when it was released and me and another mate (I did have more than 2 mates by the way) would spend hours playing it. When I tried it the other day I just found the controls too fiddly and the whole thing too slow.
0 x

Joefish
Manic Miner

Post by Joefish » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:37 pm

Joefish wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:18 pm
stupidget wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:52 pm
Do you think that's because you now plan for each screen, whereas back in the 80's we'd just dive in and just try and get to the end?
Not really - you always could level-skip. Mainly it's because it's a lot quicker to LOAD in an emulator and have a practise!
0 x

spider
Microbot

Post by spider » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:45 pm

Wanted Monty Mole is actually something I can get a few screen in whereas BITD I could not get more than a couple of screens if that. Usually fell of something resulting in an repeated death syndrome.

Manic Miner, yes I'm a lot better at it now than I was back then. Occasionally I'll still make a mess of something like Menagerie though whereas what were 'difficult' screens back then I don't have any real bother with these days it seems, well not much.

I'm worse at Tech Ted however! The 48K version. I could get three or four tasks BITD now I can't get more than two before I give up! :D

Things like Chronos/Penetrator sightly worse I'd say, along with 'complex puzzle' like Herberts Dummy Run or perhaps twisting it a bit more Locomotion or Deflector, I'm worse at.

Summary for me being I'm a fair bit better at straightforward platform games but worse at games that need either huge brain input or reactions, mind you the latter point I'm not convinced on as some platformy games -do- need fast reactions.

Isometrics, I only really liked KnightLore and sometimes MoleculeMan (you can't complain for 1.99 for a 3D game!) , although the former I could only ever get 2 or perhaps 3 objects if I was lucky and they were well placed, the latter I spent more time with the editor they provided. Was not keen on Cylu/Chimera had both of those BITD too. Pretty sure I've still got one of them that came in the slightly enlarged plastic moulded box thing that Firebird used to supply sometimes.
Last edited by spider on Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Ast A. Moore
Dynamite Dan

Post by Ast A. Moore » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:45 pm

stupidget wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:15 pm
Blimey, as a kid I had zero, zilch, nada patience.
Heh. I was the other way around. I could spend days on a Spectrum game (by keeping the machine on overnight) to finish a game I liked. Nowadays, I rarely can spare more than ten or fifteen minutes for a game (with a few exceptions). I don’t think I got better at any game over the years. Granted, I can now find and finally read the description of the many bootlegged I had (and had no idea how to play them). So, that’s a plus.
0 x
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.

Juan F. Ramirez
Rick Dangerous

Post by Juan F. Ramirez » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:22 pm

As to arcade or sports games, I have the feeling that I was better then that now. I've never considered myself a skilled player, anyway.

For example, in the skeet shooting event in Hypersports, I always got 100%, with the 'Perfect' message and the shooter winking; now I can hardly shoot any skate as I see too many ones appearing at the same time from both left and right! :lol:
0 x

RWAC
Berk

Post by RWAC » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:06 pm

spider wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:45 pm
Wanted Monty Mole is actually something I can get a few screen in whereas BITD I could not get more than a couple of screens if that. Usually fell of something resulting in an repeated death syndrome.
See, I've completed Wanted Monty Mole but I wouldn't have the patience to do it now, as I'd get frustrated at keep having to play through the same screens over and over.
1 x