The gigascreen thread!

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Re: The gigascreen thread!

Post by stupidget »

Don't fret, I still get the same non-gigascreen image when I use 4:3 :lol:
Ersh
Manic Miner

Post by Ersh »

djnzx48 wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:42 pm Do you know any details about such a hardware mod? I've heard many rumours about this but I can't find any actual examples of mods that can do frame blending.
Nah, I've only seen it mentioned around the web, never come across any instructions or more detail.
stupidget wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:05 am This is what I get:
Yeah, that's clearly not working like it's supposed to. Must have something to do with how the LCD translates the output then (like DenisGrachev and 4thRock mentioned).
Alone Coder
Manic Miner

Post by Alone Coder »

The original Gigascreen schematics switched screens every other line. It was supported in Homer Simpson in Russia, then the port changed, later it was used in IzhNews and it seems, nowhere else. Mescaline doesn't use the device, it leans on emulator's "noflic" option.
There was a demo that used Mescaline-like multicolor effects with SOFTWARE gigascreen (i.e. switching lines by software) - Stellar Contour. Without flickering, there also were Eye Ache 2 and Anamnesis.
"Multigigascreen" technique (initially called MCX) was used in Hexagonal Filler game, but it doesn't switch every other line.

NB: the game is for is Pentagon/Scorpion/ATM/Profi/KAY, and the palette is based on Pentagon bright levels. This is what you see with "noflic" in emulator.
Lethargeek
Manic Miner

Post by Lethargeek »

Alone Coder wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:09 pmThere was a demo that used Mescaline-like multicolor effects with SOFTWARE gigascreen (i.e. switching lines by software) - Stellar Contour. Without flickering, there also were Eye Ache 2 and Anamnesis.
Kpacku is a better example - http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=66295
4thRock
Manic Miner

Post by 4thRock »

Posting this here because it's related to interlace/gigascreen.

Take a look at this screen:
https://zxart.ee/eng/authors/p/pixelrat/rubi/

It uses "Timex TC2144/TC2128 Hi-Res Gigascreen", basically alternating between two monochrome 512x192 screens ;)