What are the "lost" Ultimate arcade games?

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
Firefox
Berk

Re: What are the "lost" Ultimate arcade games?

Post by Firefox » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:20 pm

5MinuteRetro wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:48 am
Indeed. And still. Tim Stamper appeared on Twitter for just a few months back in 2015, then mysteriously went quiet. It was an interesting few months, though:

It very much looks like Atic Atac 3D at that stage...

I didn't realise they even created their loading screens on graph paper! :shock:
1 x

druellan
Manic Miner

Post by druellan » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:02 pm

Firefox wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:20 pm
I didn't realise they even created their loading screens on graph paper! :shock:
I think that is a dot matrix color print of the loading screen :geek:
0 x
Un buen día me puse a probar juegos de ZX Spectrum a ciegas en Youtube, terminó siendo:
📺 Retroarqueología en Youtube

Firefox
Berk

Post by Firefox » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:43 pm

druellan wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:02 pm
No, I don't think so. If you look carefully there's the graph-paper grid lines, the "pixels" look like somebody's got a felt-tip pen and just dibbed the nib into the squares, and the logo's been done on a separate sheet, cut out, and stuck on with yellowing sellotape.
0 x

druellan
Manic Miner

Post by druellan » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:00 pm

Firefox wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:43 pm
druellan wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:02 pm
No, I don't think so. If you look carefully there's the graph-paper grid lines, the "pixels" look like somebody's got a felt-tip pen and just dibbed the nib into the squares, and the logo's been done on a separate sheet, cut out, and stuck on with yellowing sellotape.
Yeah, you're right! The dots look like hand made.
0 x
Un buen día me puse a probar juegos de ZX Spectrum a ciegas en Youtube, terminó siendo:
📺 Retroarqueología en Youtube

djnzx48
Manic Miner

Post by djnzx48 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:46 am

5MinuteRetro wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:48 am
Ralf wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:05 am
And they were always a bit mysterious people, not willing to talk much about their work.
Indeed. And still. Tim Stamper appeared on Twitter for just a few months back in 2015, then mysteriously went quiet. It was an interesting few months, though:

Perhaps it would be a good idea to archive this account somehow? Twitter are going to delete all inactive accounts in a little over a week's time.
0 x

djnzx48
Manic Miner

Post by djnzx48 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:45 pm

There's a form here to submit accounts for archiving, but it's intended for the accounts of deceased people. Would it be appropriate to submit Tim Stamper's account?
0 x

PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:10 am

A really interesting read @Rev_Stuart_Campbell

Thank you
1 x

Joefish
Manic Miner

Post by Joefish » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:17 pm

Firefox wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:20 pm
It very much looks like Atic Atac 3D at that stage...
Interesting the note with that picture says:
“New Game” became #KnightLore
Wonder what happens if I pull the chain?
Still working on #AticAtac at the time
So it looks like Knight Lore started out as trying to do an isometric version of Atic Atac. Remember that Atic Atac attempted a line-drawn 3D look to its rooms - at least, around the walls. This sketch looks more like something from Fairlight, with the steps at the back, but I notice that the room is otherwise empty. And even with that staircase, there's nothing really to go 'behind' (like in Quazatron). Even that block at the front is sloped to match the isometric floor line, so again a sprite wouldn't need to be drawn 'behind' it. The table and chairs at the bottom is the only hint of obstacles to come. I guess the full layered and masked graphics evolved from there, realising they'd still need to order and mask the sprites of any characters that move around in that space, and maybe even allow you to jump onto the tables, if you could jump up the stairs.
0 x

toot_toot
Microbot

Post by toot_toot » Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:31 pm

I don’t know why, but it always felt like Knight Lore was supposed to be a 3D Atic Atac but with the speed limitations of the Spectrum, it was turned more into a slower paced exploration game. The Filmation 2 games like Gunfright and Nightshade seemed to capture more of the faster pace of Atic Atac and I’m surprised they didn’t use the engine to make a 3D sequel to Atic Atac - or at least make Nightshade more of a sequel seeing as it has a similar structure of a handful of major baddies that must be defeated over the smaller ones. And to be honest, I didn’t really liked the slower 3D games like Knight Lore, Oentagram or Alien 8!

That’s why I can’t wait for the 3D remake of Atic Atac on the Next!
0 x