Which MIA game would you love to have?

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
PeteProdge
Manic Miner

Re: Which MIA game would you love to have?

Post by PeteProdge » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:19 pm

djnzx48 wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:56 pm
Is this meant for games that were actually developed and/or released, or ones that 'could have been'? I thought that Potty Professor sounded interesting after reading the Sinclair User review. It's a shame the game has been lost to time.
Pretty much anything that's listed as MIA, as long as it's not absolute fantasy stuff, like simply conjuring up an idea of 'Renegade 4: Now He's In Space', which is something I've just made up a minute ago.
0 x
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here now!
Episode 1: Out Run on the ZX Spectrum 48, 128 and other machines

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:27 pm

djnzx48 wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:56 pm
Is this meant for games that were actually developed and/or released, or ones that 'could have been'? I thought that Potty Professor sounded interesting after reading the Sinclair User review. It's a shame the game has been lost to time.
Good call. If Mire Mare and Giana Sister count, then surely this does as well. The article suggests it was at least a nearly finalised demo for review.

Whatever happened to it, that's a massive shame because it would have been pretty groundbreaking wouldn't it? AFAIK the Speccy hasn't had a Heath Robinson type game before, and similar computer games didn't appear until the 90s (?).
0 x

djnzx48
Manic Miner

Post by djnzx48 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:31 pm

According to the author:
There are only a few copies of ‘Potty Professor’ out there. I don’t even have one myself, so if anyone does they have a real collector’s item!
1 x

Morkin
Manic Miner

Post by Morkin » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:55 pm

I was also intrigued by the idea behind the 'original' Scooby Doo, though I suppose as it materialised (just in a changed shape) some might say it's not really MIA.

Although I wasn't the biggest fan of Marsport, I would have liked to see how the sequel(s) - Fornax and Gath - turned out.
3 x

Ralf
Dynamite Dan

Post by Ralf » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:55 am

Everything big that was announced but not released/completed like:

-Toki
-Mega Twins
-Thunderjaws

I would also like to see some games released only as demos from Russian scene. For example remakes of big games from early 90s: Mortal Combat, Warcraft, Civilisation, Worms, Legend of Kyrandia...

Personally I'm somehow less excited about Great Giana Sisters and Mire Mare.

Check Giana Sisters on CPC. It's terrribly slow and practically unplayable. I believe this version shares a lot of code with lost Spectrum version so
Speccy version would be sluggish as well.

And Mire Mare? It would either another Sabrewulf or another Knight Lore. At the end of their days Ulimate lost their "freshness". Again it's for me big, inflated expectations that wouldn't stand the reality check.
1 x

Ast A. Moore
Dynamite Dan

Post by Ast A. Moore » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:40 am

I wrote a few BASIC games back in the day, and finished at least one in assembly. Sadly, only the BASIC prototype of Yankee (miraculously) has survived. It’s not so much the code that I’m missing; it’s the ideas. (I don’t think I’d have had the effrontery to rewrite Yankee in assembly, if I hadn’t dug up the bits and pieces of the original BASIC prototype.) Wish I could recover those.

Overall, I’d say if we’re using “MIA” in the strict sense of the term—games that were actually released but somehow haven’t been archived—then it seems that what’s worth preserving has been preserved already.

I was interested in a few unreleased IF 2 cartridge titles years ago, but I think they’ve all been recovered, so I’m good. Some (Gyruss) are surprisingly good, actually.
1 x
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.

rockersuke
Berk

Post by rockersuke » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:10 am

-The Batman text adventure made by the same team that brought us Hunchback and The Neverending Story. This is reported to have been finished, but never released.

https://www.gamesthatwerent.com/gtw64/b ... adventure/

-2011 (aka Wondergirl) The "Girls" of St Bride's getting into the soper-heroic genre. This could have been, eer... weird, but probably never happened.

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 6&id=12234

--
1 x

8BitAG
Manic Miner

Post by 8BitAG » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:56 am

rockersuke wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:10 am
-2011 (aka Wondergirl) The "Girls" of St Bride's getting into the soper-heroic genre. This could have been, eer... weird, but probably never happened.
The last "true" St. Bride's game as well, perhaps? Certainly sounded like it was being made by the minds behind the original games, rather than some of the later ones that felt more like an imprint of CRL.
1 x

Nick
Dizzy

Post by Nick » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:33 am

Of the games that I know were reviewed, Roly Poly Goes To Hospital from David Todd Software, which looked like a JSW type game, is one which I would like to have. There are also a number of adventure games, such as Sheerluck Holmes and Dr Witsend and a few by Topologika that remain MIA.

Of the games that were announced and/or previewed, Toki, Super Thief, James Pond 2: Robocod and the Heavy On The Magick follow-ups are ones that I would also liked to have seen.
1 x

redballoon
Microbot

Post by redballoon » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:42 am

Wreckers by Denton Designs. Crashed Smashed and everything!
1 x