The screenshots look good, but it's a terrible game

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Re: The screenshots look good, but it's a terrible game

Post by Alessandro »

Pete Prodge: as I wrote in the other thread, the only real slowdown in the game is the "gallery" level. For the other levels, the speed is fast enough considering the average of ZX Spectrum racing games of the late commercial software production for that platform. As you see, it's a very subjective matter - what you consider "under par" is "fast enough" to me, I don't really see that much difference as you do, and I am talking about personal experience on real hardware, not about comparing YouTube videos recorded from emulators. To me, Out Run will still be, all things considered, the best that could be done at the time. We will never agree about this - please get over it and move on :lol:
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Alessandro wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:15 pm Pete Prodge: as I wrote in the other thread, the only real slowdown in the game is the "gallery" level. For the other levels, the speed is fast enough considering the average of ZX Spectrum racing games of the late commercial software production for that platform. As you see, it's a very subjective matter - what you consider "under par" is "fast enough" to me
In real life, have you ever got your car above 2nd gear?
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

PeteProdge wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:18 pm In real life, have you ever got your car above 2nd gear?
Are you comparing ZX Spectrum games to real life?
beanz
Microbot

Post by beanz »

Gift of the Gods
Dragons of Flame
ZxSpence
Dizzy

Post by ZxSpence »

R type
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

ZxSpence wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:29 pmR type
How very dare you! Admin, ban this person as I fear they may not just be a danger to themselves but to society as a whole.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Get.

Out.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
uglifruit
Manic Miner

Post by uglifruit »

No no no no no no no.
(Can you tell I disagree?)
CLEAR 23855
DouglasReynholm
Manic Miner

Post by DouglasReynholm »

PeteProdge wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:18 pm :D
You can't say that sort of thing else people will be liking Drift! I mean, it's not a bad game.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Well, I can sort of see where this is coming from. That is to say, R–Type is by no means terrible, but I never understood what all the fuss was about. With very few exceptions, I never cared much for character-based movement in Spectrum games. Then again, I never played the original arcade game, so the Spectrum version just kind of fell flat for me.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

DouglasReynholm wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:10 pm
PeteProdge wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:18 pm :D
You can't say that sort of thing else people will be liking Drift! I mean, it's not a bad game.
I've not played it yet, but did look at a YouTube video of it to see what the fuss is about. It's slow, but then I guess it's meant to be that way, like it's some driving centre to test out skidding. It does look very good, even though it's not fast.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Ast A. Moore wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:42 pm
Well, I can sort of see where this is coming from. That is to say, R–Type is by no means terrible, but I never understood what all the fuss was about. With very few exceptions, I never cared much for character-based movement in Spectrum games. Then again, I never played the original arcade game, so the Spectrum version just kind of fell flat for me.
The ZX Spectrum's Golden Axe conversion is ruined because of character-based movement, but R-Type is still amazing and very faithful to the arcade original.
Vampyre
Manic Miner

Post by Vampyre »

Psytron. I could never find a game in there.

At the time, Gerry the Germ looked looked the business from the stills put played like a pudding in reality.
ZX Spectrum Reviews REST API: http://zxspectrumreviews.co.uk/
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

PeteProdge wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:49 am The ZX Spectrum's Golden Axe conversion is ruined because of character-based movement, but R-Type is still amazing and very faithful to the arcade original.
Oh, yeah. I forgot about Golden Axe. Pretty dreadful.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
5MinuteRetro
Manic Miner

Post by 5MinuteRetro »

I submit Sweevo's World:

(Actually, really my submission is pretty much every Spectrum isometric game ever, but for whatever reason this was the first one to pop into my head! Knight Lore was probably worse, great though it looked...)
Retro stuff, real quick
YouTube: http://bit.ly/5MinuteRetro
Twitter: https://twitter.com/5MinuteRetro
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

And I can understand it.

It looks great.
But does it play great?
Personally I'm unable to finish the first level. I tried several times and always failed.

Ask yourself a question - do you play R-Type from time to time? Once for a month, once for six months,
once for a year?

I don't. And I do it with another games.
So I guess I really didn't enjoy it that much.
Lethargeek
Manic Miner

Post by Lethargeek »

for me, at least the first 3-4 levels of R-Type play great
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

The issue I always had with R-Type is that you need to be diligent with weapon power up collection to defeat the bosses, if you lose them, miss them or end up with the wrong ones you may as well restart the level.

I guess that's not Bob's fault as it was a conversion, but it puts R-Type below other shmups for me, addictive-wise, despite the impressive coding.
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
ZxSpence
Dizzy

Post by ZxSpence »

R Type is an R Tape loading error of a game.

Technically brilliant in many ways (although not by modern Speccy standards) but it's just a terrible game.

It's so freakin full, jerky, slow. I love R Type on pretty much every other platform bar the C64, and at the time I told myself when I was a kid that it was brilliant.

But I played it in the last year (summer) and it made my eyes glaze over.

Dreadful bilge.
SteveSmith
Manic Miner

Post by SteveSmith »

Morkin wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:00 pm The issue I always had with R-Type is that you need to be diligent with weapon power up collection to defeat the bosses, if you lose them, miss them or end up with the wrong ones you may as well restart the level.
Couldn't agree more. I recently played it an Arcade club so it was on free-play, and after just over 15 minutes I couldn't get past level one (never even made it to the EOLB). You die, you lose all your power-ups, so you might as well quit and restart from the beginning.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

ZxSpence wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:52 pm Dreadful bilge.
:o

R-Type's character based movement was a pretty bold decision, and I like the way Joefish summed it up: it gets away with it—just. I guess because it walks this fine line, some will be on the wrong side of it and think it's a howler, but most seem to be impressed by it.

I think it plays well, but I don't play it so much these days since I overdosed on it while trying to complete the massive ship level. I got so close but don't think I'll ever manage it. These days I'll play it and if I finish level 2 I'm happy.

But it was very lucky that Bob Pape's technical skill came together with Mark Jones's graphical brilliance. I think the game is a lot more than graphics, but if they weren't as perfect as they are, say more cartoony like BLAM, we wouldn't be speaking of it so fondly.
Lethargeek
Manic Miner

Post by Lethargeek »

the key value of R-type is diversity in everything (not just graphics)
ZxSpence
Dizzy

Post by ZxSpence »

R-Tape wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:26 pm
ZxSpence wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:52 pm Dreadful bilge.
:o

But it was very lucky that Bob Pape's technical skill came together with Mark Jones's graphical brilliance. I think the game is a lot more than graphics, but if they weren't as perfect as they are, say more cartoony like BLAM, we wouldn't be speaking of it so fondly.
That is perhaps it in a nutshell. When you get past the initial shock and awe you are left underwhelmed. It becomes so-so. I even enjoy zynaps more as a game or more tea vicar.

Hmm. Even Saint Dragon is more fun. ;-)

Oooof.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

That is perhaps it in a nutshell. When you get past the initial shock and awe you are left underwhelmed. It becomes so-so. I even enjoy zynaps more as a game or more tea vicar.

Hmm. Even Saint Dragon is more fun. ;-)
Zynaps is very good and smooth. It's not as splendid as R-Type bur I find it easier and more playable.
Saint Dragon is hmm... okay but less impressive than R-Type.
More Tea Vicar is rather poor. Sorry Jonathan Cauldwell. It's slow and the graphics are below average.
Nick
Manic Miner

Post by Nick »

The Happiest Days Of Your Life has the charming, cartoonish look of the Wally Week games but didn't hold my attention like them.

Final Fight is another style over substance release from US Gold.