Make Outrun playable

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
stupidget
Manic Miner

Make Outrun playable

Post by stupidget » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:45 am

After reading the 'good screenshots but bad games' thread I had a quick blast on Outrun 128k and even thought it is painfully slow, I do think it's a pretty good version and the music is spot on. I've played it on an emulator at 200% and even though this makes it a great game and incredibly playable it obviously messes the music up. So I was wondering if, with todays game design geniuses, would it be possible to speed Outrun up on real hardware?
Last edited by stupidget on Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

ZXDunny
Manic Miner

Re: Make Outrun playable

Post by ZXDunny » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:22 am

With the advent of the Next and the Omni, both capable of increasing CPU speed, all that's required is for some enterprising soul to hack the games to synchronise their gameplay and sounds with the interrupt. Once that's done, you can crank up the CPU speed all you like and the game will only get better.
0 x

stupidget
Manic Miner

Post by stupidget » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:35 am

And it wont bugger up the sound?
0 x

8BitAG
Manic Miner

Post by 8BitAG » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:10 am

Turn off the sound and put the cassette tape on instead. :)
2 x

Ast A. Moore
Dynamite Dan

Post by Ast A. Moore » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:15 am

Make Outrun Great Again. I’d buy that for a dollar! :lol:

On a more serious note, that would take a lot of reverse engineering and disassembly of the original. The entire engine would probably have to be rewritten. I like a challenge, but this is a tall order. There aren’t that many playable car racing games on the Spectrum, Continental Circus being my personal favorite.
0 x
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.

hikoki
Manic Miner

Post by hikoki » Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:19 pm

What about replacing graphics on Continental Circus to make it appear like Outrun? Genius! :)
2 x

PeteProdge
Manic Miner

Post by PeteProdge » Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:25 pm

hikoki wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:19 pm
What about replacing graphics on Continental Circus to make it appear like Outrun? Genius! :)
What about - if you're a Windows/Android/Open Pandora user - downloading CannonBall ('The Enhanced OutRun Engine') and editing the sprite ROMs (somehow) and music, so that it looks and sounds like a ZX Spectrum but plays virtually the same as the arcade?

https://github.com/djyt/cannonball/wiki
0 x
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here now!
Episode 1: Out Run on the ZX Spectrum 48, 128 and other machines

Lethargeek
Microbot

Post by Lethargeek » Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:43 pm

stupidget wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:45 am
After reading the 'good screenshots but bad games' thread I had a quick blast on Outrun 128k and even thought it is painfully slow, I do think it's a pretty good version and the music is spot on. I've played it on an emulator at 200% and even though this makes it a great game and incredibly playable it obviously messes the music up.
what are you talking about? outrun music seems all the same to me in zxspin at 7, 14 and even 28 mhz setting
0 x

stupidget
Manic Miner

Post by stupidget » Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:55 pm

Lethargeek wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:43 pm
stupidget wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:45 am
After reading the 'good screenshots but bad games' thread I had a quick blast on Outrun 128k and even thought it is painfully slow, I do think it's a pretty good version and the music is spot on. I've played it on an emulator at 200% and even though this makes it a great game and incredibly playable it obviously messes the music up.
what are you talking about? outrun music seems all the same to me in zxspin at 7, 14 and even 28 mhz setting
Well I'll tell you 'what I'm talking about' captain abrupt!! I'm using Fuse on my MAC, not ZXSPIN and there is no option in Fuse to change the mhz setting. All you can do is change the emulator speed which changes the speed of everything, including music.

Is that a good enough explanation for you?
0 x

Lethargeek
Microbot

Post by Lethargeek » Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:39 pm

you could have said you're using crappy emulator on crappy os from the start :P
0 x