Make Outrun playable

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Re: Make Outrun playable

Post by druellan »

Alessandro wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:22 pm Out Run is not "painfully slow". The only real slowdown is in the gallery level. Curious how, out of 15 tracks, there are people who only think of that one :roll: It's enough playable as it is for me, no need to hack the code etc.
Well, looking at Enduro Racer, form the same authors, that game runs at about 20fps. OutRun is more complex, because the road lanes can change between levels. At the start, a very wide road, I can see about 9fps, on the second level (desert), narrow road, no lanes, little scenery, it can peak about 13fps, so perhaps the engine can be optimized a bit. Not sure if Enduro Racer was developed before or after Out Run.
Stefan
Manic Miner

Post by Stefan »

druellan wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:17 pm Well, looking at Enduro Racer, form the same authors, that game runs at about 20fps. OutRun is more complex, because the road lanes can change between levels. At the start, a very wide road, I can see about 9fps, on the second level (desert), narrow road, no lanes, little scenery, it can peak about 13fps, so perhaps the engine can be optimized a bit. Not sure if Enduro Racer was developed before or after Out Run.
Based on magazine reviews, Outrun is about half a year newer than Enduro Racer. Having a quick look at the RZX footage, it looks like someone told the team that OR'ed 'sprites' were no longer acceptable and that they /must/ be masked.
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Stefan wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:12 pm
druellan wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:17 pm Well, looking at Enduro Racer, form the same authors, that game runs at about 20fps. OutRun is more complex, because the road lanes can change between levels. At the start, a very wide road, I can see about 9fps, on the second level (desert), narrow road, no lanes, little scenery, it can peak about 13fps, so perhaps the engine can be optimized a bit. Not sure if Enduro Racer was developed before or after Out Run.
Based on magazine reviews, Outrun is about half a year newer than Enduro Racer. Having a quick look at the RZX footage, it looks like someone told the team that OR'ed 'sprites' were no longer acceptable and that they /must/ be masked.
Good catch, for sure that change might have an impact in performance, and seems that at the time Turbo Outrun was launched they manage to optimize the masked engine: 17fps with some slowdowns to 13fps on very crawled areas.