The A-Z of the best Speccy games (modern: post-1993)

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
Ralf
Manic Miner

Re: The A-Z of the best Speccy games (modern: post-1993)

Post by Ralf » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:08 pm

Somehow I totally missed the release of "On reflecion". And all text games seem to be the same until you start playing them more deeply and feel the difference in story and narration ;)

Sure, change it if you feel that it's good and deserves it.
0 x

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:48 pm

I'll see if anyone else concurs first.

There are a couple of text adventures by Colin Woodcock that are at least as impressive, but they have letters that can't be argued with.

Blink and Floarea Soarelui. Inspired writing, especially as you have so little space to work with, and very different from your run of the mill fantasy or space adventure. The downside is that, after looking at the solution to one of them, I can't imagine ever being able to complete a text adventure unless I took 6 weeks off work to concentrate on it.

Aha - if we translate Floarea Soarelui from Romanian to our lingua franca we get Sunflower. Anyone object if I bump Sword of IANNA for this?
0 x

Einar Saukas
Manic Miner

Post by Einar Saukas » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:06 pm

Ralf wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:12 pm
J
Well not much choice. Shame on me as I'll propose my own game :oops: but I honestly believe it's pretty decent. So it would be Janosik.
Or Jaws :)
0 x

PeteProdge
Manic Miner

Post by PeteProdge » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:36 pm

R-Tape wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:18 pm
@PeteProdge was going to do a poll per letter for both classic and new releases. Shall we only do that for classic releases (less work for Pete), and continue the new games as a discussion?
I think so, yeah.

To conclude: On Monday, I'll be asking everyone for their favourite classic Speccy game-beginning-with-A for about seven days. Then we do a poll the following Monday...
0 x

PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:57 pm

I'm loving 'Karlos und Schatze der Azteken' by the way. Its brilliant!
0 x

Swainy
Berk

Post by Swainy » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:21 am

I think that Sunbucket should be added. I reviewed it in the Crash Annual and really enjoyed it.
1 x

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:02 am

Swainy wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:21 am
I think that Sunbucket should be added. I reviewed it in the Crash Annual and really enjoyed it.
El Stompo Smash and Sunbucket reviewed?

I was going to buy a copy anyway! EDIT - not yet I'm not, it's sold out

The only thing I can see bumping Sword of IANNA is whatever Retroworks are planning to release next.
0 x

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:18 am

I know a lot would take issue with this but I think More Tea Vicar edges Metal Man. Controversial.
0 x

Ralf
Manic Miner

Post by Ralf » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:48 pm

I know a lot would take issue with this but I think More Tea Vicar edges Metal Man. Controversial.
No way for me. I know that many of you give extra points to a game for being British and that many people like Jonathan Cauldwell but that would be very dishonest.

More Tea Vicar is good but not brilliant. It is a bit slow, has an absurd name, small sprites, is very similar to some games from the 80s and inferior to Zynaps so it's not groundbreaking in any way.

Metal Man is something never seen before - extremely colourful, yet reducing clash, huge, with lots of feature with gameplay typical for 16 bits computers, not 8 bits.

That's just my opinion anyway ;)
0 x

Hikaru
Microbot

Post by Hikaru » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:14 am

T is for Twilight: The Land of Shadows. I'm amazed I even have to spell it out!

Star Heritage was massive in our time, but now I love the Sword of Ianna just as much. :) And yes I don't think it ever got the translation it deserves.
0 x
Inactive account