Ghosts 'n Goblins VS Ghouls 'n' Ghosts

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...

Which is the better game?

Ghosts 'n Goblins [Elite, 1986]
43%
Ghouls 'n' Ghosts [U.S. Gold, 1989]
57%

Total votes: 21

WIWC
Manic Miner

Ghosts 'n Goblins VS Ghouls 'n' Ghosts

Post by WIWC »

Hello.

I recently wrote somewhere that the Ghouls 'n' Ghosts conversion is better than its prequel conversion, which is, of course, the Ghosts 'n Goblins conversion. But I didn't play the latter in a while. In some years, in fact, probably. Now that I've tried it again, just yesterday, I'm not so sure that there's a clear winner. For example, I think that the main character is better drawn and animated in the earlier game, and it's also characterized by a better manoeuvrability and the possibility of shooting in the opposite direction of where you're jumping, which is very nice, and very useful.
Also, the movements of the demons and other monsters are quite impressive. Ghouls 'n' Ghosts, on the other hand, is a more complete conversion of the arcade it is based on, and the end-of-level bosses are fantastically drawn big sprites. Ghosts 'n Goblins, in fact, lasts only six minutes (check the rzx walkthrough) and lacks whole levels compared to its source material. At the same time, it is maybe more similar to the original arcade, because there was a certain progress in Ghouls 'n' Ghosts, and, juding by the video I've seen, it was almost an interactive cartoon. Both are difficult.

So which is the better game? Which one do you prefer?

Image versus Image
3 x

Swainy
Dizzy

Re: Ghosts 'n Goblins VS Ghouls 'n' Ghosts

Post by Swainy »

Personally I always preferred the original conversion although it’s missing a lot of features and content of the arcade version. Ghouls N Ghosts crams in a lot more though and I love the 128k music on it.
1 x

Juan F. Ramirez
Rick Dangerous

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

I've always preferred the first game (G'n'G) both in arcade and Spectrum version. Maybe just because it's the original game.
1 x

WIWC
Manic Miner

Post by WIWC »

I've just played them one after the other, and I've realized that the first part, which is very similar in both games (zombies emerging from the ground) is harder and more frustrating in Ghouls 'n' Ghosts: the collision detection is unforgiving, while it is more friendly in Ghosts 'n Goblins, and the main character is slightly less manoeuvrable. Also, even if you die in a relatively advanced position, you'll be back at the start of the cemetery anyway.
After all, maybe the first conversion is really the most playable, although still difficult. By the way, Crash gave 95% to Ghosts 'n Goblins when they first reviewed it.

I haven't voted yet, but right one Ghosts 'n Goblins is the one convincing me.
0 x

Ast A. Moore
Dynamite Dan

Post by Ast A. Moore »

I kind of remember Ghouls n’ Ghosts more, because it’s by the Follin brothers. And you turn into a duck. So, I’ma go with that.
1 x
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.

WIWC
Manic Miner

Post by WIWC »

Ast A. Moore wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:16 pm
I kind of remember Ghouls n’ Ghosts more, because it’s by the Follin brothers. And you turn into a duck. So, I’ma go with that.
True, you can turn into a duck. Is it something happening in the arcade too?

Anyway, I don't see any vote for Ghouls.
0 x

Ast A. Moore
Dynamite Dan

Post by Ast A. Moore »

WIWC wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:20 pm
True, you can turn into a duck. Is it something happening in the arcade too?
Yes:

WIWC wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:20 pm
Anyway, I don't see any vote for Ghouls.
Oh, shoot. I missed the fact it’s a poll. Voted.
1 x
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.

Ivanzx
Site Admin

Post by Ivanzx »

Really shocked to see that the original GnG is winning. Ghouls and Ghosts is a quite impressive game that improves the original Ghosts and Goblins in every aspect, including the really bad implemented difficulty curve of the original GnG :shock:
1 x

Ralf
Dynamite Dan

Post by Ralf »

I agree with Ivan here. I never could understand the high opinion that many people hold about Ghosts'n'Goblins.

It's too difficult, has simplistic and tiny graphics, ugly loading screen and lacks about 50% of content from the original.

Ghouls'n'Ghosts also isn't perfect and I'm certainly not a big fan. But it's more polished game and faithful to to original.

I'd really like to see Ghost's'n'Goblins remake on Zx Spectrum. Especially by people who did Valley of Rains :)
3 x

Ivanzx
Site Admin

Post by Ivanzx »

Ralf wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:36 am
I'd really like to see Ghost's'n'Goblins remake on Zx Spectrum. Especially by people who did Valley of Rains :)
And we already have the music ;)

8-)
4 x