The best Speccy game by Beyond Software: discussion

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

The best Speccy game by Beyond Software: discussion

Post by PeteProdge »

Right, the EMAP-spawned software house that had Mike Singleton on its roster? Here's a list of games I've come up with...

Bounces
Doomdark's Revenge
Enigma Force
Lords Of Midnight, The
Psytron
Shadowfire
Sorderon's Shadow
Space Station Zebra
Spellbound
Spy vs Spy

Now, there are two other published titles that I'm not sure what to do with.

Romper Room: I Love My Alphabet is definitely educational software, aimed at young children. I've not downloaded it, but with the screenshot, it seems that it's a quiz...

I suppose a quiz counts as a game, right? It's hardly likely to win, or even pick up any votes, and I've no idea why a British software company picked up the license of an American children's TV show that hadn't been on British screens for over a decade.

The other thing is Shadowfire Tuner, which seems to be a utility for owners of the game Shadowfire, to make it easier or harder. I guess it doesn't really count as a game in its own right.

Any suggestions?
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Re: The best Speccy game by Beyond Software: discussion

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Seems Lords of Midnight will be the winner
Dark
Dizzy

Post by Dark »

I had a copy of Lords of Midnight, but as with other adventure games, I just never got into it.

For me Spy v Spy is the stand out from that list - though in saying that I am concerned I didn't actually play it, and my memories of it being good are in fact from Spy v Spy III.
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

Spy vs spy
DouglasReynholm
Manic Miner

Post by DouglasReynholm »

I'd leave the last 2 out Pete, appreciate the attention to detail, but is anyone really going to vote for them? Never a 'Lords' fan so it'll likely be The 2 Denton Designs games, which made me feel like I owned an Apple Mac - without giving Apple a penny!. Living the dream, as my employee Maurice Moss once said.
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

For me it'd have to be Spy vs Spy. Spent many hours with playing this one with me mate.

I remember having a go at LoM, but, at 11 years old it was beyond (excuse the pun) me.
hitm4n
Manic Miner

Post by hitm4n »

Shadow fire was a good un wasn't it? I'll have to see the poll screenshots to get some reminders on a few of these games...
I don't have anything cool to put here, so i'll just be off now to see a priest with yeast stuck between his teeth and his friend called Keith who's a hairpiece thief...
Vampyre
Manic Miner

Post by Vampyre »

I guess a Mike Singleton game will probably win this but I never could get into the Midnight games. A lot of the Beyond game were marmite for me - they had a lot of style and undoubtedly huge depth if you could get into them but I never could. Didn't like Psytron or Shadowfire either. Funnily enough I did complete Engima Force BITD, and Spy vs Spy was a really good game too.

Guess where my votes will be going!
ZX Spectrum Reviews REST API: http://zxspectrumreviews.co.uk/
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

I've never played shadowfire enough to appreciate it but I presume it's an interesting game.
Spud
Manic Miner

Post by Spud »

The only Beyond game I ever played was Sorderon's Shadow. No idea what the heck it was about but it sure looked nice. My mate left it on my porch one day out of the blue with a post-it note saying this is bird's crap. I guess he didn't like it.
SteveSmith
Manic Miner

Post by SteveSmith »

There seems to be a theme developing here: a lot of Beyond games seem great in theory and have lots of great ideas, but somehow never quite live up to themselves in reality.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Never quite got to grips with Spy vs Spy, working out how to do all the traps.

I got a little bit further with Shadowfire, managing to move the different units around the place, but struggled with the icon-driven control system. Though it did look good. Then again, I did have a <cough> less than official copy and didn't have the instructions...
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Morkin wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:09 pm Then again, I did have a <cough> less than official copy and didn't have the instructions...
I think that was my problem as well... :mrgreen:
toot_toot
Manic Miner

Post by toot_toot »

Best of Beyond was a great compilation - Doomdark’s Revenge, Sorderon’s Shadow, Shadowfire and Enigma Force. It even came with an audio tape containing the Doomdark’s Revenge story!

So if you can’t decide, give that a try!
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

I love Beyond games, I think Lords of Midnight is one of the top three Spectrum games of all time, though I have to admit I didn't finish it.
In fact, Enigma Force is the game I played the most, it had a great atmosphere and interesting gameplay.
She looked advanced and polished at the time, I really loved to play and that's why she's my favorite here...
WhatHoSnorkers
Manic Miner

Post by WhatHoSnorkers »

I loved Lords of Midnight and still do, so that gets my vote.

I played Shadow Fire but I think I teleported in the wrong order which was bad. I finished Enigma Force though which was ace.

I didn't like Doomdark's Revenge as much. The reduced draw distance, the mist, the colours, the names weren't as good, even if the land was much bigger.

I'll probably be doing a video on Sorderon's Shadow later in the year. I never heard of it until last year and it looks amazing!
I have a little YouTube channel of nonsense
https://www.youtube.com/c/JamesOGradyWhatHoSnorkers
uglifruit
Manic Miner

Post by uglifruit »

Those Beyond big boxes...
I said how inconvenient, unnecessary and difficult to store they were when I was buying them way back when.

But oh how I wish I had them all now, lined up like some hoarder.

And Spy Vs Spy. My third favourite two player Speccy game (when you do that list it goes: Rebel Star 2 / Batty / Spy Vs Spy ).
CLEAR 23855