The best Speccy game by Beyond Software: discussion

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
SteveSmith
Manic Miner

Re: The best Speccy game by Beyond Software: discussion

Post by SteveSmith »

There seems to be a theme developing here: a lot of Beyond games seem great in theory and have lots of great ideas, but somehow never quite live up to themselves in reality.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Never quite got to grips with Spy vs Spy, working out how to do all the traps.

I got a little bit further with Shadowfire, managing to move the different units around the place, but struggled with the icon-driven control system. Though it did look good. Then again, I did have a <cough> less than official copy and didn't have the instructions...
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Morkin wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:09 pm Then again, I did have a <cough> less than official copy and didn't have the instructions...
I think that was my problem as well... :mrgreen:
toot_toot
Manic Miner

Post by toot_toot »

Best of Beyond was a great compilation - Doomdark’s Revenge, Sorderon’s Shadow, Shadowfire and Enigma Force. It even came with an audio tape containing the Doomdark’s Revenge story!

So if you can’t decide, give that a try!
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

I love Beyond games, I think Lords of Midnight is one of the top three Spectrum games of all time, though I have to admit I didn't finish it.
In fact, Enigma Force is the game I played the most, it had a great atmosphere and interesting gameplay.
She looked advanced and polished at the time, I really loved to play and that's why she's my favorite here...
WhatHoSnorkers
Manic Miner

Post by WhatHoSnorkers »

I loved Lords of Midnight and still do, so that gets my vote.

I played Shadow Fire but I think I teleported in the wrong order which was bad. I finished Enigma Force though which was ace.

I didn't like Doomdark's Revenge as much. The reduced draw distance, the mist, the colours, the names weren't as good, even if the land was much bigger.

I'll probably be doing a video on Sorderon's Shadow later in the year. I never heard of it until last year and it looks amazing!
I have a little YouTube channel of nonsense
https://www.youtube.com/c/JamesOGradyWhatHoSnorkers
uglifruit
Manic Miner

Post by uglifruit »

Those Beyond big boxes...
I said how inconvenient, unnecessary and difficult to store they were when I was buying them way back when.

But oh how I wish I had them all now, lined up like some hoarder.

And Spy Vs Spy. My third favourite two player Speccy game (when you do that list it goes: Rebel Star 2 / Batty / Spy Vs Spy ).
CLEAR 23855