The best Speccy game by Legend: vote

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...

Poll ended at Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:29 am

Great Space Race, The
4%
Komplex
16%
Komplex City
No votes
Valhalla
80%

Total votes: 25

PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

I feel like I've got a car showroom that has an Austin Allegro, two Ford Fiestas and a Ferrari Portofino, and I'm asking you to pick which one you'd like to test drive and be seen in.

Here we go with the poll, it concludes Sunday 19th Jan 2020...

Great Space Race, The
ImageImage

Komplex
ImageImage

Komplex City
ImageImage

Valhalla
ImageImage
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Re: The best Speccy game by Legend: vote

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Komplex. Because reasons.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Valhalla for me, just because it's the only gane I know of them (and an interesting adventure, by the way)
Hank Scorpio
Manic Miner

Post by Hank Scorpio »

Valhalla for me. The only other game I've played is The Great Space Race, which is pants.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Hank Scorpio wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:38 pm Valhalla for me. The only other game I've played is The Great Space Race, which is pants.
Somebody's actually voted for The Great Space Race. Wow. One of the most panned computer games ever.

Whenever we get to a poll for CRL budget label The Power House, I think that person will plump for Sqij.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
Vampyre
Manic Miner

Post by Vampyre »

Valhalla - no contest. Who the heck voted for TGSR!??
ZX Spectrum Reviews REST API: http://zxspectrumreviews.co.uk/
uglifruit
Manic Miner

Post by uglifruit »

I bought the The Great Space Race for 50p from a ZX Microfair. The stallholder theatrically said it was the last one he had, and acknowledged it was crap, but 50p wasn't bad for a blank tape (and amazing box, I thought).

As soon as I'd bought it, he brought another "last one" to sell from out of his box full of them.
CLEAR 23855
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

uglifruit wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:34 pm I bought the The Great Space Race for 50p from a ZX Microfair. The stallholder theatrically said it was the last one he had, and acknowledged it was crap, but 50p wasn't bad for a blank tape (and amazing box, I thought).

As soon as I'd bought it, he brought another "last one" to sell from out of his box full of them.
They call it 'Marketing'... :lol:
toot_toot
Manic Miner

Post by toot_toot »

I need to give Komplex City a try. I remember reading the review of it in Sinclair User and thinking it looked great, but never saw it in the shops. Turned out it was never officially “released” and was only rediscovered a couple of years ago.

http://www.indieretronews.com/2018/04/k ... m.html?m=1
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

toot_toot wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:31 am I need to give Komplex City a try. I remember reading the review of it in Sinclair User and thinking it looked great, but never saw it in the shops. Turned out it was never officially “released” and was only rediscovered a couple of years ago.

I've just watched the vid and it reminds me of a speccy version of the DOS game Decent. Looks pretty impressive.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

I don’t know. I kind of like Komplex more than Komplex City. Decent was pretty awesome, though.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

toot_toot wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:31 am I need to give Komplex City a try. I remember reading the review of it in Sinclair User and thinking it looked great, but never saw it in the shops. Turned out it was never officially “released” and was only rediscovered a couple of years ago.

Oops! I suppose this shouldn't be in the poll after all then? :-/
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

PeteProdge wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:50 pm Oops! I suppose this shouldn't be in the poll after all then? :-/
Good job it's not winning then as that'd be embarrassing :lol: :lol:
uglifruit
Manic Miner

Post by uglifruit »

I'll change my vote for it then!
CLEAR 23855
Nick
Manic Miner

Post by Nick »

1. Valhalla
2. Komplex City
3. Komplex
The Golden SQIJ award for pure awfulness. The Great Space Race
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Surprised how crap is The Great Space Race just by reading the posts. I knew it but I've never played it.
Nick
Manic Miner

Post by Nick »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:21 pm Surprised how crap is The Great Space Race just by reading the posts. I knew it but I've never played it.
Treat yourself to a game of it, you won't regret it, promise. :twisted:
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Well, to nobody's surprise, Valhalla's got this. That's an understatement, like 80% of the vote share, which I think might be the highest in any of my forum polls ever. 20 votes easily secures the winning spot for Valhalla, no question.

A distant second is Komplex, with 4 votes.

Then in third place, yes, seriously, somebody actually voted for the, um, disappointment that is The Great Space Race. I don't get that, but hey, it's democracy and there are a few rubbish Speccy games I really love, I guess we all have our own list.

We'll all pretend that I didn't actually list released-decades-after-Legend-collapsed Komplex City, right? It kind of, sort of, ish... counts, in a way, but erm... still not too sure. It's gained zero votes in the phpBB forum poll so I don't have to worry too much.

Over on the proportionals, only one person has voted, so it's entirely down to @Nick's opinion, which still supports the phpBB forum poll's winner...

Valhalla 3
Komplex City 2
Komplex 1