The best Speccy game by Quicksilva: vote

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...

Poll ended at Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:58 pm

3D Strategy
No votes
Ant Attack
39%
Aquaplane
5%
Astro Blaster
No votes
Battlezone
No votes
Blood 'n' Guts
3%
Bugaboo The Flea
11%
Captain Kelly
No votes
Chess Player, The
No votes
Death Wake
No votes
DefCom
No votes
Dragonsbane
No votes
Elevator Action
5%
Eric Bristow's Pro-Darts
No votes
Fantastic Voyage
8%
Frenzy
No votes
Gatecrasher
No votes
Glass
No votes
Glider Rider
8%
Gridrunner
3%
Hocus Focus
No votes
Laser Zone
No votes
Mastermind
No votes
Max Headroom
3%
Meteor Storm
No votes
Mighty Magus
No votes
Mined-Out
3%
Pac-Land
No votes
Pontoon
No votes
Power Pyramids
No votes
Red Scorpion
No votes
Rupert And The Toymaker's Party
No votes
Sabotage
No votes
Schizofrenia
No votes
Sector 90
No votes
Smuggler's Cove
No votes
Snowman, The
No votes
Space Intruders
No votes
Strontium: The Killing
3%
Tantalus
No votes
Thompson Twins Adventure, The
No votes
Time-Gate
8%
Traxx
No votes
Tube, The
No votes
Xadom
No votes
Yabba Dabba Doo!
No votes
Zombie Zombie
3%

Total votes: 38

PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
Hank Scorpio
Manic Miner

Re: The best Speccy game by Quicksilva: vote

Post by Hank Scorpio »

I've given Mined Out an early lead although I'm sure it won't be long before it's overtaken by some giant ants.

1. Mined Out
2. Elevator Action
3 Mighty Magus

I could never get along with Ant Attack's controls and as entertaining as Bugaboo is, it's just a bit too easy for my liking.
Turtle_Quality
Manic Miner

Post by Turtle_Quality »

Wait, what Gridrunner is here ? I asked a while back why it wasn't on the Llamasoft list. Well that's a clear number one for me, it's great fun

Followed by Elevator Action and then Time Gates
Definition of loop : see loop
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Turtle_Quality wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:41 pm Wait, what Gridrunner is here ? I asked a while back why it wasn't on the Llamasoft list. Well that's a clear number one for me, it's great fun
I go by the appropriate brand of the original publisher, never the developer or development team (unless that IS the original publisher brand of course).
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
RWAC
Manic Miner

Post by RWAC »

1. Bugaboo the Flea
2. Elevator Action
3. Mined Out

I'm another who couldn't get on with Ant Attack's controls
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

1- Fantastic Voyage, played it a lot back in the day!
2- Ant Attack
3- Bugaboo the Flea

By the way, [mention]PeteProdge[/mention] , shouldn't be Blood 'n Guts and Fantastic Voyage be considered as only one game?
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:20 am By the way, @PeteProdge , shouldn't be Blood 'n Guts and Fantastic Voyage be considered as only one game?
I hadn't noticed that until now, having never played either.

That's the kind of thing I like to have ironed out in the discussion phase before the voting.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

1. Ant Attack
2. Bugaboo
3. Glass
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

PeteProdge wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:14 am
Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:20 am By the way, @PeteProdge , shouldn't be Blood 'n Guts and Fantastic Voyage be considered as only one game?
I hadn't noticed that until now, having never played either.

That's the kind of thing I like to have ironed out in the discussion phase before the voting.
I think I wrote about this in the discussion thread. Anyway, the solution is simple: add votes of both options.

A remember this old, wise meme: :mrgreen:

hitm4n
Manic Miner

Post by hitm4n »

Bugaboo
Tantalus
Space Intruders

A Mediocre label but with a few standouts...
I don't have anything cool to put here, so i'll just be off now to see a priest with yeast stuck between his teeth and his friend called Keith who's a hairpiece thief...
Nick
Manic Miner

Post by Nick »

1. Fantastic Voyage
2. Ant Attack
3. Dragonsbane
Metalbrain
Microbot

Post by Metalbrain »

1 - Fantastic Voyage
2 - Gatecrasher
3 - Aquaplane
WIWC
Manic Miner

Post by WIWC »

There's a good amount of good stuff here, I don't know exactly what to prioritize
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Absolutely no surprise to see Ant Attack steam this poll, with 15 votes. It's the one I thought would dominate.

The nearest to it? Just 4 votes, going to Bugaboo The Flea.

Joint third place, 3 votes each: Fantastic Voyage; Glider Rider and Time-Gate.

Joint fourth place, 2 votes each: Aquaplane and Elevator Action.

Joint fifth place, 1 vote each: Blood 'n' Guts; Gridrunner; Max Headroom; Mined-Out; Strontium: The Killing and Zombie Zombie.

It's a markedly different story on the proportional votes. Ant Attack isn't top there, the joint top place is split between Bugaboo The Flea and Fantastic Voyage. Ant Attack is second...

Bugaboo The Flea 9
Fantastic Voyage 9
Ant Attack 7
Elevator Action 4
Mined-Out 4
Gatecrasher 2
Tantalus 2
Aquaplane 1
Dragonsbane 1
Glass 1
Mighty Magus 1
Space Intruders 1

Also, the experiment in taking the poll to 14 days. it didn't really add on that many votes. I'm fairly certain we hit 36 votes a week ago, and only two more were cast since then, so I'm taking the polls back to a 7 day length. It's more than adequate for voting.
Lethargeek
Manic Miner

Post by Lethargeek »

PeteProdge wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:49 am Also, the experiment in taking the poll to 14 days. it didn't really add on that many votes. I'm fairly certain we hit 36 votes a week ago, and only two more were cast since then, so I'm taking the polls back to a 7 day length. It's more than adequate for voting.
Yet again i don't get the logic behind that. As "didn't really add that many" does mean it DID add some - those being now named unimportant and "inadequate" just on a whim. And as it is just one case, it looks like you were just looking for any excuse for this decision. All of this is really demotivating to participate in the future votings.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Lethargeek wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:50 am
PeteProdge wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:49 am Also, the experiment in taking the poll to 14 days. it didn't really add on that many votes. I'm fairly certain we hit 36 votes a week ago, and only two more were cast since then, so I'm taking the polls back to a 7 day length. It's more than adequate for voting.
Yet again i don't get the logic behind that. As "didn't really add that many" does mean it DID add some - those being now named unimportant and "inadequate" just on a whim. And as it is just one case, it looks like you were just looking for any excuse for this decision. All of this is really demotivating to participate in the future votings.
Cool, don't vote then, ignore all my polls. Two of the three polls didn't add ANY new votes in their second week.

It takes me an age to set them up, if it's not to your taste (and not every thread on this forum is to my taste), just move on.
Lethargeek
Manic Miner

Post by Lethargeek »

PeteProdge wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:54 pm It takes me an age to set them up,
...and has absolutely nothing to do with the voting time. But whatever, it is pointless anyway to participate in anything where your contribution might be any moment judged as unimportant. Ok, i won't pollute these super-important polls with my lazy and inadequate choice anymore. :|
hitm4n
Manic Miner

Post by hitm4n »

Hey Lethargeek, did you vote in the second week cos you seem a bit upset about the decision. I'm sure Pete wasn't directly calling your vote irrelevant, just the extra week wasn't worth the extras it gained. I for one wondered what the hell was going on when no new polls appeared last weekend, i musta missed the post about the 2 week trial thing.

I rather enjoy these polls and visit daily to see peoples comments on them and actually look forward to new ones each weekend. And here i am on the Monday night with a fresh bunch of polls to ponder over, screenshots to look at and discuss etc. I know it must take ages setting these up, there has to be some input from us lot, and i do think 2 weeks at a time is too long.

Lets not start fighting over Petes decision, he is creating these after all, its up to him...
I don't have anything cool to put here, so i'll just be off now to see a priest with yeast stuck between his teeth and his friend called Keith who's a hairpiece thief...