Have you ever completed a text adventure?

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
R-Tape
Site Admin

Have you ever completed a text adventure?

Post by R-Tape » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:30 pm

Without cheating. If so which one and how long did it take?
0 x

Rorthron
Manic Miner

Re: Have you ever completed a text adventure?

Post by Rorthron » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:43 pm

The Hobbit.

27 years.
3 x

Blerkotron
Dizzy

Post by Blerkotron » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:48 pm

I seem to remember beating Subsunk, but I can't remember if I had any magazine help or not.
0 x

Spud
Microbot

Post by Spud » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:38 pm

Never got remotely close to completing any. I generally give up after I've visited all the locations accessible by a simple north/south/east/west. I might try to solve some of the puzzles but get de-motivated very quickly and end up typing all the swear words I know in and then reset and play International Karate.
1 x

AndyC
Microbot

Post by AndyC » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:40 am

I completed a few back in the day, Heroes of Karn and the Famous Five one spring to mind. I might have also done the 48K version of Never-ending Story, although I can't entirely recall whether I gave up on that one (possibly it was one where you could bugger it up by missing a crucial item early on?)

Generally it took a long time to get through them and a significant amount of effort with mapping and saving progress. I don't think I'd have the patience for it these days.
0 x

Juan F. Ramirez
Dynamite Dan

Post by Juan F. Ramirez » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:50 am

Never. The closest was Gremlins the Adventure.

I've never progressed much in any.
0 x

Pobulous
Berk

Post by Pobulous » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:10 am

These I completed on my own:

Quest for the Golden Eggcup - I even managed to find a shortcut of using the prison as a container to hold objects.
Kobyashi Naru - although I never realised until just now that it had a sequel - that's my Christmas sorted. I could never get anywhere with Venom by the same author.

These ones I had minor assistance:

Colour of Magic I used a clue to get past the pirate.
I completed Rigel's Revenge but I needed help on using the bomb.

I remember getting nowhere at all with:
Venom
Bored of the Rings
Sherlock
and many others
0 x

Morpheus
Dizzy

Post by Morpheus » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:31 am

If i remember rightly

The Hobbit
Mountains of Ket
Urban Upstart
Snowball
0 x
R Tape loading error, 0:1

Ralf
Manic Miner

Post by Ralf » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:28 am

Two or three in my native Polish language.

Text games have the biggest language barrier of all types of games. You don't need much English skill to play Manic Miner but playing Hobbit is a different story. And In the 80s my English knowledge was unfortunately too poor to play any text games.

It changed in the 90s but at that time I was already using PC. Actually I learn then a lot of English from adventure games by Sierra and Lucas (King's Quest, Space Quest, adventure games about Indiana Jones and so on). But it was usually done with some solution.

There are two problems with text/adventure games:

- you can get stuck and it's not fun. You start walking in circles, typing random stuff, clicking everything. At such moment it is really better to use solution than to grow your frustration

- early text games had bad parsers. You couldn't type "GET SWORD", you couldn't type "TAKE SWORD", you couldn't tipe "COLLECT SWORD" because it had to be "PICK UP SWORD" for example. It again was very frustrating to fight with game limited vocabulary, especially if you had a limited vocabulary yourself ;)
0 x

AndyC
Microbot

Post by AndyC » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:49 am

I often heard the criticism of bad parsers, but to me the problem was always the opposite - adventure games attempted to have more of a parser than they ever should have. If you look to the games that spawned away from the genre, like the Dizzy series and point and click games, they were always attempts to simplify the vocabulary and instead focus the challenge of finding the right approach to a problem.

I'm a great believer that a good adventure would need nothing more than directions and simple verb-noun interaction. If I type USE KEY and I have a key which can be used with either something I have or something in my current locale, then it should just work. Get things down to that level of simplicity of interaction and the player should never get entirely stuck. In the worse case scenario, the player can at least exhaustively attempt everything to get back on track.
1 x