Have you ever completed a text adventure?

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
Vampyre
Manic Miner

Re: Have you ever completed a text adventure?

Post by Vampyre »

I was quite into text adventures back in the day and completed several. Off the top of my head:

Invincible Island
The Hobbit
Rigel's Revenge
Seabase Delta
The Price of Magik
Heavy on the Magick (despite the moving graphics, it is really a text adventure)
Scapeghost (probably my all-time fave - Level 9's swansong)
The Eye of Bain
Fish! (was probably the ST version, not the Speccy)

And a load of others, mostly Quilled budget adventures, that I can't remember at the moment.
ZX Spectrum Reviews REST API: http://zxspectrumreviews.co.uk/
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

I loved text adventures when I was kid and used to play them with my parents. Before our beloved Speccy we had a Dragon 32 and we completed a few adventures on that beige beauty.

These are the ones we'd completed on the Dragon:

Adventure 1 - Mansion - Dragon 32
Adventure 2 or 3 - Jerusalem
There was one we completed and all I remember was that the devil was in it!!

As my mother had been a typist for years she was great at typing in games. I remember we had a book of Adventure Type-ins some of which were just bizarre.

There was only one other kid by me who had a Dragon and he was a fat spoiled little barrel of a wanker and he copied some crappy game for me, but, recorded over all the games my mum had typed in. To say she was gutted is an understatement.

With regards to Speccy Adventures:

The Hobbit (with help from my folks again)
Terrors of Trantos. This was a great adventure where you had to split between to characters.
Seabase Delta

Rather disappointingly that's it!!! I used to spend ages playing adventure games and desperately wanted to complete more, such as LOTR, Shadows of Mordor, Se-Kaa of Assiah and Sherlock. If only we'd had the internet and The Tipshop back in the day :-)
g0blinish
Manic Miner

Post by g0blinish »

As I remember - Emerald Isle/Level 9 before I adopted for trdos.
ANDREWRYALS
Microbot

Post by ANDREWRYALS »

Finished over 200 in the day. I used to write to Mike Gerrard every month and he used to reply back!!!
WIWC
Manic Miner

Post by WIWC »

I wanted very much to be a good adventurer. But I've never been one. Basically because I'm too stupid.

I surely completed Scott Douglas's Pirate Adventure a.k.a. Pirate's Cove.

Maybe one or two more.
Hank Scorpio
Manic Miner

Post by Hank Scorpio »

Games I have completed, from what I can remember:
Hampstead
Subsunk
Seabase Delta
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

I completed two Russian text games for Rzx Archive recently. You can check them there as recent additions:

- Svyatogor the Bogatyr and Karachun the Sorcerer
- Examination Investigation

They are, as I said, in Russian so you won't enjoy the story but still you can watch some nice graphics.
I didn't have any solution but somehow I was determined. Quite unsual in these days when finding a motivation for
anything Spectrum related is becoming harder and harder ;)

They were quite difficult. Eventually I used some debugging and code analysis to complete them. The first thing was to check all the action verbs and messages. Cheating? Rather making it a fair game ;)
Wall_Axe
Manic Miner

Post by Wall_Axe »

hampstead was a weird one, I felt like it was made for adults and i was about 9..so the humour flew over my head.

I think the instructions hinted that you should wait outside of a restaurant to make it look like you own it, but at the time i didnt know what it meant.