Robocop games

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Robocop games

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

ImageImageImage

I've only played the first game properly. Games 2 & 3 seem interesting and they deserve a try.

Your thoughts?
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Re: Robocop games

Post by stupidget »

I desperately wanted to be good at Robocop BITD, but, as many people, I was just awful at it.

My gaming approach was a bit different when I was 15 though and it pretty much consisted of me playing a side-scroller by seeing how seeing quickly I could get from left to right without simply planning and taking things slowly. Because of this reason I didn't like Robocop, but in hindsight this was down to the fact that I was crap at it :lol:
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

Robocop 1 is simply great.

Robocop 2 is difficult and not fun for me. You don't die immediately but I wasn't able to complete the first level. Some serious problem were conveyor belts that I was constanly falling off from them.

It's a work of Deakin/Horn duo. These guys were making games that were technically very good but unfortunately sucked in playability. Check stuff like Athena or Adams Family.

Robocop 3 is easier. But it lacks some spirit of the first part for me. Exactly ljust ike the movie.
Metalbrain
Microbot

Post by Metalbrain »

Ralf wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:28 am It's a work of Deakin/Horn duo. These guys were making games that were technically very good but unfortunately sucked in playability. Check stuff like Athena or Adams Family.
Their Operation Wolf is excellent, and totally playable.
AndyC
Dynamite Dan

Post by AndyC »

RoboCop 2 was pretty good although a bit too "platformy" for a RoboCop game if you ask me. There is just something about all the jumping that kind of feels wrong. It's a lot tougher than the original, but not impossibly so - with a bit of practice you can get through it.

I played the third one a bit but it felt clunky and just not much fun. Doesn't really help that the movie was entirely awful (even more so than the disappointing second one) and so there's not really that incentive to stick with it.
ZXDunny
Manic Miner

Post by ZXDunny »

Robocop 1 was a great game, if a little too easy - I managed to beat it within a few days of buying it.

Robocop 2 was not so good, and nowhere near as fun. I never played Robocop 3 (had an Amiga at that point) though probably would have liked to see it.
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Metalbrain wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:36 am
Ralf wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:28 am It's a work of Deakin/Horn duo. These guys were making games that were technically very good but unfortunately sucked in playability. Check stuff like Athena or Adams Family.
Their Operation Wolf is excellent, and totally playable.
And also Athena, I almost finished it back in the day. Mega-Bucks was very nice, a real budget gem. Not to mention Combat School, a superb adaptation from the Konami coin-op.

As for the Robocop games, I experienced all of them first not on real hardware, but when I discovered Spectrum emulation on the PC. I was able to reach the warehouse level on the first game, while I was unable to get past the first level on the second and third.
DouglasReynholm
Manic Miner

Post by DouglasReynholm »

Yes, [mention]Alessandro[/mention] , Combat Scool was a hugely playable game, played it a lot.