The best Speccy game by Silversoft: discussion

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

The best Speccy game by Silversoft: discussion

Post by PeteProdge »

Still on page 9 of that first edition of Crash, and here's Silversoft, a software house that was around at the early end of the Speccy's commercial era.
Quite underrated in my opinion...

Armageddon
Brain Damage
Cyber Rats
Exterminator
Freez'Bees
Ground Attack
Hyperaction
Mission Impossible
Muncher!
Orbiter
Robin Of Sherlock
Robot Riot
Sam Spade
Slippery Sid
Starship Enterprise
Super Mutt
Taffy Turner
Talos
Trouble Brewin
Worse Things Happen At Sea

Have I got the list right or wrong?
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Re: The best Speccy game by Silversoft: discussion

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Not played many, FreezBeez, Robin of Sherlock and of couse, Worse Things HaS, which is a sure bet.
zedex82
Drutt

Post by zedex82 »

Would have to be ground attack as this was my first Spectrum game for my 16k Spectrum back in 1983

ZeD
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

I remember buying and playing a lot of Orbiter (a Defender clone).
But it was so flickery and with the character-block movement I wouldn't be surprised if it was compiled BASIC.

The thing I do remember is you loaded it with a LOAD "" CODE; presumably it over-wrote the system variables and BASIC area and then auto-executed a bit of BASIC.
Morpheus
Microbot

Post by Morpheus »

Slipper Sid was a neat little game and I played it a lot back when I got my first Speccy :D

Worse things happens at sea was my favourite game though.
R Tape loading error, 0:1
hitm4n
Manic Miner

Post by hitm4n »

Morpheus wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:24 pm Slipper Sid was a neat little game and I played it a lot back when I got my first Speccy :D

Worse things happens at sea was my favourite game though.
I remember Slippery Sid too. Would have to see pics for the rest to remind me of them. Not sure i played many of these. And i seem to be saying that a lot for a lot of these polls currently. Is it because these are smaller, earlier publishers, i think (i thought) i had a rather large game collection, mostly copies (don't judge me !!!), some were even C90s full of games. I had dozens of C15s with 2 games per side, lots of originals too, and many many friends to copy from, even a multiface one allowing me to do snapshot saves of most games from memory. Still enjoying these polls though Pete, thanks.
I don't have anything cool to put here, so i'll just be off now to see a priest with yeast stuck between his teeth and his friend called Keith who's a hairpiece thief...
Cosmium
Microbot

Post by Cosmium »

Joefish wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:04 pm I remember buying and playing a lot of Orbiter (a Defender clone).
Same here. I think it came out towards the end of '82 when we were starved of Defender clones on the Spectrum in those early days. But compared to, say, the shoddy VCS version where your ship would disappear every time you fired, Orbiter was half decent.

I remember being a bit miffed that you couldn't accelerate while the ship was reversing, and that your ship's motion didn't feature momentum (it was more of a horizontal character scroll, either being on or off). I also think I remember searching through the code (without any dedicated tools) to modify the graphics a bit to make it more realistic and closer to the arcade original. As it stood the smart bombs looked like sweets and the player's ship reminded me of a wood plane / hand plane :( .
Joefish wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:04 pm But it was so flickery and with the character-block movement I wouldn't be surprised if it was compiled BASIC.
That might be the case as the author went on to release a BASIC compiler shortly thereafter.