My TOP-10 games

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
Turtle_Quality
Manic Miner

Re: My TOP-10 games

Post by Turtle_Quality »

These are the Spectrum games that took most of my time up back in the day

Scrabble
Elite
Lode Runner
Lunar Jetman
Death Chase
Thrust
CP Pinball
The Sentinel
Football Manager
Gridrunner
Penetrator
Boulderdash
Manic Miner
Maze Death Race
Wriggler
Cosmic Debris
Columns (my own version after playing it on a friend's Sega Master System, now lost)

Way more than ten, but if I dropped one of these old friends how could I look them in the eye again ?

I should point out that I've not got round to trying any Spectrum games from this millennium yet.
Definition of loop : see loop
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

These are mine which are in no order of preference:

Manic Miner
JSW
The Hobbit
Kokotoni Wolf
Deathchase
Head over Heals
Ghosts and Goblins
Bored of the Rings
Heavy on the Magick
Chase HQ or Enduro Racer ( can't decide between the two)
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

10? Pfft. I'll never understand why limiting yourself to 10 when there's hundreds of good titles to enjoy - and 10 times as much chaff! :P

The game I consider my favorite ever, 30 years after I ordered and received it from the UK in an era when there was no internet at home and payment was made with international postal orders, is always Laser Squad.

All of the others can be considered joint second places :)
Andrew771
Drutt

Post by Andrew771 »

Alessandro wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 2:57 pm 10? Pfft. I'll never understand why limiting yourself to 10 when there's hundreds of good titles to enjoy - and 10 times as much chaff! :P
About 10, you can a little more, but within a reasonable ;)
Coder of ZXOOM, Euphoria 2D, ZX Like Pascal, Russian Railway Magnate...
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Alessandro wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 2:57 pm 10? Pfft. I'll never understand why limiting yourself to 10 when there's hundreds of good titles to enjoy - and 10 times as much chaff! :P

The game I consider my favorite ever, 30 years after I ordered and received it from the UK in an era when there was no internet at home and payment was made with international postal orders, is always Laser Squad.

All of the others can be considered joint second places :)
At one point in time Laser Squad would've crept above Chaos in my 'favourite game' list, what a brilliant game. Chaos ultimately regained its crown though, just because its random elements give every game you play so much variety.

Re: the top 10, you could always read the thread title as hexadecimal, which means you can list your Top 16... ;)
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

Alessandro wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 2:57 pm always Laser Squad.
Preach, brother.

I'm really glad that Chaos, Rebelstar & LS feature on quite few of the lists here. Jullian Gollop, next to Sid Meier, is a true genius of game design. So glad he came back to developing games, I've supported both the new Chaos and Phoenix Point.
WIWC
Manic Miner

Post by WIWC »

This is one of different possible lists:

The Great Escape
Knight Lore
Manic Miner
Skool Daze
Highway Encounter
WEC Le Mans
Movie
Cobra
Rick Dangerous
Nebulus

+
Fred
Head Over Heels
Robocop
Panzadrome
Conquestador
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

I used to have my top 10, maybe even a top 5.
Then, I realized I had no reason to limit myself and made my top 500 favorite titles, which I use on a daily basis.
I made the list according to several criteria: playability, graphics, sound, nostalgic value or some other reason that is important only to me.
The list is long, maybe I'll put it in a file later, but it's my golden case, which I always come back to and use on every platform, emulator or real Spectrum hardware...
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

no particular order.

Sabre Wulf
Rebelstar (Firebird)
Laser Squad
Gravibots
Old Tower
Bomb Munchies
Knight Lore
Lunar Jetman
Melbourne Draw (yeah a utility, but it was loaded up more than most games)
Lerm....

One day I will get to have a go on Alien (Mind Games) after the recommendation by Ersh.
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

Laser Squad best game ever. Followed close by civilization...
hitm4n
Manic Miner

Post by hitm4n »

No way can i cut it down to just 10. There would be too many left off the list...
So i've ordered mine best i can (I love them all, they are all number 1 really) and i've put two in each joint position.

Theres a few here some of you guys haven't mentioned too...

1. Quazatron
1. Trap Door
2. Skool Daze
2. Chuckie Egg
3. Highway Encounter
3. Popeye
4. Exolon
4. Frank N Stein
5. Finders Keepers
5. Manic Miner
6. Chuckie Egg II
6. Wizards Lair
7. Nebulus
7. Dynamite Dan II
8. Rebelstar Raiders
8. 3 Weeks In Paradise
9. Gyroscope
9. Bugaboo
10. Jumping Jack
10. Time Gate
I don't have anything cool to put here, so i'll just be off now to see a priest with yeast stuck between his teeth and his friend called Keith who's a hairpiece thief...
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

hitm4n wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 12:14 am
4. Frank N Stein
Yeah, cool game.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

hitm4n wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 12:14 am 6. Wizards Lair
Interesting to see this one mentioned. I remember it being rated highly by Crash and it's very colourful, but somehow it never really grabbed me.
hitm4n
Manic Miner

Post by hitm4n »

Apart from never really figuring the game out, running around in this, compared to Atic Atac, it just felt like its big brother. Maybe its time to have a read up on it now and replay with a mind to finishing it. I guess theres a map somewhere.

edit// of course there is...
https://maps.speccy.cz/map.php?id=WizardsLair
I don't have anything cool to put here, so i'll just be off now to see a priest with yeast stuck between his teeth and his friend called Keith who's a hairpiece thief...
catmeows
Manic Miner

Post by catmeows »

Ralf wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 8:29 pm
It's them! It’s a pity that only in Russian :) You can play there either for the Spaniards or for the British.
Unfortunately it's a different game. Yes, it features pirates, ships and Carribean Islands but it's a different gameplay, seems more
like a board strategy.

There is this thread which seems to describe an ongoing remake of "real" Pirates on Spectrum
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1569

But it became quite silent recently.
It's alive. At this point I'm working on politic and economic simulation.
I will finish it some day before I die.
Proud owner of Didaktik M
Andrew771
Drutt

Post by Andrew771 »

catmeows wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 12:43 pm I will finish it some day before I die.
By then we will all die, there will be no one to play. :D
Better to release as Microsoft, a faster raw version, capture the market, and then refine. :mrgreen:
Coder of ZXOOM, Euphoria 2D, ZX Like Pascal, Russian Railway Magnate...
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

hitm4n wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 9:24 am Apart from never really figuring the game out, running around in this, compared to Atic Atac, it just felt like its big brother. Maybe its time to have a read up on it now and replay with a mind to finishing it. I guess theres a map somewhere.

I used to keep getting lost.

Reminds me, looking at that map, the game should have really been named "Atic Wulf".. :lol:
catmeows
Manic Miner

Post by catmeows »

Morkin wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 2:30 pm
hitm4n wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 9:24 am Apart from never really figuring the game out, running around in this, compared to Atic Atac, it just felt like its big brother. Maybe its time to have a read up on it now and replay with a mind to finishing it. I guess theres a map somewhere.

I used to keep getting lost.

Reminds me, looking at that map, the game should have really been named "Atic Wulf".. :lol:
Same here. It Is interesting that one could navigate Atic Atac and Starquake after while, and Wizard's Lair and Firelord were always dark forest to me. Interestingly, I was always lost in Underwurlde but simply keepinng going forward was enough to finish game.
catmeows
Manic Miner

Post by catmeows »

My top 10:
Chaos
Sim City
Lemmings
Starquake
Myth
Draconus
Cobra
Commando
Castle Master
International Karate +
blucey
Manic Miner

Post by blucey »

1. Rebelstar 2. My favourite strategy game of all time. Some might say the only good Aliens game too. I can still play it today and enjoy it as much as I ever did. No game conjures such big feelings. When you nail a long range shot and it takes out an enemy. What beats that? When a stray bullet takes out one of your Photon guys? ARGH! Best game.

2. Quazatron. As with RS2, it's playable today and still great. It's let down a little by the jerky scrolling, and by not having a proper ending, but it's still brilliant.

3. Renegade. The only game in the series that I really like (Rene 3 is my most hated game, Target is good but too easy and the co-op/weapons don't really improve anything). The most satisfying combat you'll see in a game from the '80s.

4. Green Bert. A true classic and a game that I've played many hundreds of times and still cannot get to stage 4 more than 1% of the time. It still plays great and is much better than the coin op.

5. Megabucks. There were a lot of graphic adventure games on the system and I didn't like many of them but Megabucks kept me entertained all the way to the end. Okay, the ending was crap. But until then it was good. Definitely tricky but less reliant on other games of its type that had very obscure puzzle solutions (I'm looking at you Universal Hero).

6. Chaos. Super playable. A great intro to strategy games. I dislike the randomness of it at times and matches can descend into stand offs (and ultimately become a draw) but the concept is great and Gollop did well to make it so enjoyable.

7. Bruce Lee. A game I didn't care for much at the time but one that is very playable and fun these days. Usually the first thing I test when trying out emulators. Objectively, it's not brilliant but it's a game that is quite timeless and one that I go back to. Gaming comfort food.

8. Bomb Jack. I almost didn't include this because I prefer the arcade version. But I do really like this version. I'd normally put it higher but I just got a good arcade stick.

9. Rebelstar. The gameplay is great and it's very similar in many ways to my #1 game. I just don't like the level layout that much. And the reliance on having a droid to get into the inner sanctum of the enemy annoys me.

10. Myth. Okay, the controls are a mess but you get five levels of graphical brilliance. A better puzzle game than it is an action game but it's good at both. One of those games that I could reliably complete as well, which I liked. I was 11, I didn't need a challenge, I needed fun. That said, I don't really play it much these days.

Bubbling under: Hypersports, Ranarama, Ant Attack, WOTEF, Batman The Movie, Thanatos.