My TOP-10 games

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
Andrew771
Drutt

My TOP-10 games

Post by Andrew771 »

For some reason, nobody have not yet created a topic where you can simply list your favorite games. :D

My TOP:

Lode Runner - I’ve been playing since the time of the school soviet computer BK-0010 since 1991. It’s haunting so far. For the level editor - a separate respect to the developers. I made a bunch of labyrinths.
Klad - is our Russian Lode Runner-2. Also good music.
Grand Prix Simulator II - realistic car racing against, view from the cockpit.
Grand Prix Circuit - a circuit race, a bird's eye view. We three competed simultaneously on the same keyboard. Particularly pleased with the full video replay of the entire route. As well as the speaker’s live speech.
Advanced Soccer Simulator - a mega football manager with championships and cups of England, also played three together at the same time, each for his team, often exchanging players.
Cyrus IS Chess - Cool Chess. Thanks to them, I learned to play well in real life (I played at the 2nd level, I could not beat the computer at higher levels). Championships were also held between themselves and the computer.
Backgammon - this game taught me backgammon. Then I played them in real life.
Gazza's Super Soccer - is the coolest football like a real TV. Only you control the game.
Gazza II - another good dynamic football, top view.
Trap Door - is an interesting game with funny humorous actions.
Zybex - a spectacular flying shooter, very beautiful and unusual movements of opponents.
Movie - is a detective with beautiful 3D graphics and good character intelligence. Most of all I liked talking to them (in English), a sense of humor in conversations at the level! Also I recommend for learning English.
Arkanoid is a beautiful game with realistic ball flights.
Video Pool - billiards with good physics. I especially liked to watch how balls were rolled out and placed on more and more amusing trajectories at higher and higher levels, one might say, we played for this.
Nether Earth is a real-time strategy, and collect robot tanks as you like and from what.
Strip Poker II - strip the beautiful girl we always loved and love.
LP (Love Positions) is more likely not a game, but an encyclopedia of the Kama Sutra.
The Adventures of Buratino - although I do not like quests, for some reason this game has sunk into the soul, something in it is Russian ours!
Pirates - best strategy of 1990s.
Draughts Genius - a game of checkers with Einstein. Einstein and his office are pretty. And on screen saver the dance under the piano.

And you? :P
Coder of ZXOOM, Euphoria 2D, ZX Like Pascal, Russian Railway Magnate...
RWAC
Manic Miner

Re: My TOP-10 games

Post by RWAC »

Rebelstar 2
Lords of Midnight
Skool Daze
Myth
Midnight Resistance
Chuckie Egg
3D Deathchase
Football Manager
Auf Wiedersehen Monty
Sceptre of Baghdad
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

Don't tell me Pirates was on the ZX? :o :o It's the main reason I've moved to C64 (and couldn't afford the FDD so had to spend 25 minutes loading one part of it)

It is probably the best game ever though.

Tough call. So many! But, the main ones off top of my head...

Rebelstar/Laser Squad - just so ahead of its time. It ruined so many games for me (or saved me from) because I could never play a TBS with weak combat after that.

Movie - Ditto. Completely, wildly groundbreaking. Back then I really believed these characters and world are quite alive and driven by powerful AIs :D

Turbo Esprit - see above

Knight Lore - probably 1st game I've ever seen, on TV first, and only got to actually play it many years later. Such an AAAAAAAAA release.

Saboteur! - another unbelievable blockbuster. What were these Durrel guys smokin?

Renegade - best port ever? For a brawler addict like me it was a revelation and a powerful argument agains these other smug micro-owners.

The Mystery Of Arkham Manor - I actually couldn't get anywhere in this game (no manual, poor English) but was completely blown by its promise of another living world. You were supposed to file written reports to your newspaper and I couldn't get my head around how the game processes it (I know, I know - it didn't :)

Valkyrie 17 - there were many brilliant text adventures, which motivated me to learn English and were amazing imagination activators, but this one gets a shout...

Dragontorc - yet another game which I could never get anywhere in, but was obsessed with

Red Hawk/Kwah! - see above, again, such a brilliant hybrid adventure

Bit predictable list I guess, there are so many quirky, amazing and/or fun titles I totally love, and which should get a mention -like, indeed the Nether Earth, How To Be a Complete Bas**rd, Seabase Delta, Mercenary, Arcadia, Match Day, Adrian Mole, Castle Master and zillion others I can't remember the name of...but 10 is 10.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

akeley wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 8:11 pm Don't tell me Pirates was on the ZX? :o :o It's the main reason I've moved to C64 (and couldn't afford the FDD so had to spend 25 minutes loading one part of it)
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 6&id=12994
Andrew771
Drutt

Post by Andrew771 »

PeterJ wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 8:17 pm
akeley wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 8:11 pm Don't tell me Pirates was on the ZX? :o :o It's the main reason I've moved to C64 (and couldn't afford the FDD so had to spend 25 minutes loading one part of it)
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 6&id=12994
It's them! It’s a pity that only in Russian :) You can play there either for the Spaniards or for the British. Spaniards transport gold from America, British pirates are trying to take it
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

It's them! It’s a pity that only in Russian :) You can play there either for the Spaniards or for the British.
Unfortunately it's a different game. Yes, it features pirates, ships and Carribean Islands but it's a different gameplay, seems more
like a board strategy.

There is this thread which seems to describe an ongoing remake of "real" Pirates on Spectrum
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1569

But it became quite silent recently.
Ersh
Manic Miner

Post by Ersh »

Never had a chance to do one of these before. :)

1. Alien (Mind Games)
A masterclass in game design and I could easily write enough text for an entire book explaining how brilliant this game truly is. A mixture of strategy and adventure, great atmosphere with a slow burning pace that can become a hectic battle of survival in matter of seconds. There are no gimmicks here, every element lifted from the movie makes perfect sense in the context of the game. The attention to detail is also fantastic, like how the Alien can only hatch from Dallas, Kane or Lambert (they were the only ones to visit the egg chamber in the derelict) or how the Alien can make a crew member sometimes disappear without a trace if they're killed in the air ducts (like Parker says in the movie: No blood, no Dallas, nothing.) The game is also easy to pick up and controls great through context sensitive menus. There are multiple ways to complete the game and backup plans are a necessity if you plan to survive for long. Every game is different, you never know what will unfold, basically endless replayability.

2. Cauldron II (Palace Software)

My favourite platformer on the Spectrum. After you've mastered the controls it's not that hard of a game and a really rewarding experience. A great bit fairer on the player than the Commodore 64 version. Nice beeper rendition of the title theme and excellent graphics by Steve Brown.

3. Elite (Firebird)
One of my favourite ports of Elite. The developer, Torus, didn't have the 6502 source code to go by when making the game, the result is a fresh take on Elite that stands out among the rest of the ports.

4. Back to Skool (Microsphere)
More to see and do, absolutely brilliant sequel that added so much to the original concept.

5. The Hobbit (Melbourne House)
An innovative game for its time and still fun to play today. It's got 'physics', 'AI' and various random elements. Combined with player-defined-challenges, it lends a lot of replay value to the game and you don't get to say that about text adventures all that often.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

1.- Sabre Wulf
2.- Knight Lore
3.- Pyjamarama
4.- Skool Daze
5.- Saboteur
6.- Highway Encounter
7.- Cyclone
8.- Green Beret
9.- Hyper Sports
10.- Fred
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

Turrican
Microbot

Post by Turrican »

1-Renegade
2-R-Type
3-Target Renegade
4-Ikari Warriors
5-Terramex
6-Arkanoid: Revenge of Doh
7-Wec Le Mans
8-Batman The Movie
9-The Untouchables
10-Robocop
RWAC
Manic Miner

Post by RWAC »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 9:23 pm 1.- Sabre Wulf
2.- Knight Lore
3.- Pyjamarama
4.- Skool Daze
5.- Saboteur
6.- Highway Encounter
7.- Cyclone
8.- Green Beret
9.- Hyper Sports
10.- Fred
I thought Fred would've been a lot higher!
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

RWAC wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 9:31 am
I thought Fred would've been a lot higher!
It's a mix of passion but also common sense...
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Haha, amazingly enough I can't actually recall a your "What's your top 10" thread, crazy considering how many things have been discussed and how many duplicate threads appear.

(Reminds me of that time someone turned up at WoS with the username of "Spectrum", and nobody could believe that it hadn't already been taken... :lol:)

I'm sure my top 10 changes now and again (in the past I've included Fairlight, but have 'demoted' it in recent times).

1. Chaos
2. Target; Renegade
3. Elite
4. Laser Squad
5. Manic Miner
6. Jetpac
7. IK+
8. Rebelstar
9. Quazatron
10. Atic Atac
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
RWAC
Manic Miner

Post by RWAC »

Morkin wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 1:58 pm Haha, amazingly enough I can't actually recall a your "What's your top 10" thread, crazy considering how many things have been discussed and how many duplicate threads appear.

(Reminds me of that time someone turned up at WoS with the username of "Spectrum", and nobody could believe that it hadn't already been taken... :lol:)

I'm sure my top 10 changes now and again (in the past I've included Fairlight, but have 'demoted' it in recent times).

1. Chaos
2. Target; Renegade
3. Elite
4. Laser Squad
5. Manic Miner
6. Jetpac
7. IK+
8. Rebelstar
9. Quazatron
10. Atic Atac
No Lords of Midnight?
Can the real Morkin please stand up! :lol:
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Nah, it's rubbish... :lol:
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

Morkin wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 1:58 pm Haha, amazingly enough I can't actually recall a your "What's your top 10" thread, crazy considering how many things have been discussed and how many duplicate threads appear.

1. Chaos
2. Target; Renegade
3. Elite
4. Laser Squad
5. Manic Miner
6. Jetpac
7. IK+
8. Rebelstar
9. Quazatron
10. Atic Atac
Not so different from my top ;)
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Andre Leao wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 2:57 pm Not so different from my top ;)
Yeah, though interesting that you've got a couple of recent releases right up there... :o

Gah, and I've just realised I've forgotten Chuckie Egg.. Oops...
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

Morkin wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 3:27 pm
Andre Leao wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 2:57 pm Not so different from my top ;)
Yeah, though interesting that you've got a couple of recent releases right up there... :o

Gah, and I've just realised I've forgotten Chuckie Egg.. Oops...
I never played Chaos (or Lord of Chaos). I´ll have to try it soon. I´m sure I will love it...
Vampyre
Manic Miner

Post by Vampyre »

Morkin wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 1:58 pm (Reminds me of that time someone turned up at WoS with the username of "Spectrum", and nobody could believe that it hadn't already been taken... :lol:)
Similarly, I was shocked that it never twigged what murtceps user spelt backwards was.
ZX Spectrum Reviews REST API: http://zxspectrumreviews.co.uk/
Andrew771
Drutt

Post by Andrew771 »

Surprisingly, no one wrote Dizzy. In Russia, every second writes it to his favorite games. Although I am indifferent, I did not write :lol:
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

Andrew771 wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 7:32 pm Surprisingly, no one wrote Dizzy. In Russia, every second writes it to his favorite games. Although I am indifferent, I did not write :lol:
Crystal Kingdom Dizzy, the 2017 remake, is on my list :)
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

I like Dizzy a lot but am not sure which part the most :)
MtM
Dizzy

Post by MtM »

Purist approach here, so only games that originated popularly on the Spectrum.

Also, not a fan of lists, so here are my favourites in no order or specific number:-

Turmoil
Chuckie Egg II (_miles_ better than the original, a rare sequel better than the original)
Manic Miner
Jet Set Willy (obvious these two I know)
Swords and Sorcery
Skyranger
Skool Daze
Wheelie
Back to Skool (bit of a Microsphere run there ...)
Fairlight

Not very original my list really ...
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

MtM wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 10:42 pm Purist approach here, so only games that originated popularly on the Spectrum.

Also, not a fan of lists, so here are my favourites in no order or specific number:-

Turmoil
Chuckie Egg II (_miles_ better than the original, a rare sequel better than the original)
Manic Miner
Jet Set Willy (obvious these two I know)
Swords and Sorcery
Skyranger
Skool Daze
Wheelie
Back to Skool (bit of a Microsphere run there ...)
Fairlight

Not very original my list really ...
...Did you have shares in Microsphere...? ;)

Sky Ranger is an interesting choice. I recall seeing the game and think I may possibly have played it, but don't really remember much about it...?
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Same here about SkyRanger. Interesting but hard to control, as Combat Lynx.