Renegade or Target Renegade?

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Renegade or Target Renegade?

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

ImageImage

Your fave? Both awesome games, good graphics and gameplay, but mine maybe Renegade, a really great conversion of the original arcade game.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Re: Renegade or Target Renegade?

Post by PeteProdge »

Oh boy. These two are incredibly good games, and it really is a tough choice to pick the best out of the two of them. (Although it is massively obvious that the third game is a huge piece of digital faecal matter, everyone can agree on that.)

I will go for Target Renegade for these points...
  • larger playing area
  • two player option
  • ability to pick up and use weapons
Those things were a huge relief when Melbourne House/Mastertronic delivered a very sub-par Double Dragon conversion, I can tell you. Target Renegade is the Spectrum's surrogate Double Dragon.

Target Renegade is the easier of the two games, and I guess some people will pick Renegade for the challenge aspect. Renegade also gets huge kudos because the Spectrum version is so much better than the arcade.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
Hikaru
Microbot

Post by Hikaru »

Renegade for me. It just has more integrity of the two. Everything is where you expect it to be, plays the way you expect, without any unnecessary elements. TR on the other hand feels like an expanded fan remake of sorts, that is, first and foremost, an attempt to imitate. And that ingame tune is just a mood-killer for me, as opposed to funky chavs-everyday-life vibes of the first game.
Inactive account
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

One of those questions which never seem to get old :lol:

Anyway - throughout 30 years my opinion has not changed. Renegade is tighter, more brutal and varied. Target Renegade is unnecessarily long, enemies mostly behave the same, and when you pick up a weapon, it becomes much easier. Has a nifty two-player mode as a plus over the first instalment, however.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Target Renegade for me.

Renegade was OK, fairly hard, but I found the controls a bit smoother and less clunky in Target Renegade. Plus I liked the variety of location and opponents.
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Hikaru wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:05 am Renegade for me. It just has more integrity of the two. Everything is where you expect it to be, plays the way you expect, without any unnecessary elements. TR on the other hand feels like an expanded fan remake of sorts, that is, first and foremost, an attempt to imitate. And that ingame tune is just a mood-killer for me, as opposed to funky chavs-everyday-life vibes of the first game.
Also, chicks with whips. 8-)
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

One of the reasons I preferred Target Renegade were the weapons. I also preferred the flying kick movement to the original.

[Edit: can understand the issues with the 128k music though, it did sound a bit out of place]
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
Wall_Axe
Manic Miner

Post by Wall_Axe »

I felt like Renegade relied on just using tricks to defeat the enemies, you had 20 enemies following you at once, so you had to use cheap stuff like getting someone up against a wall.
blucey
Manic Miner

Post by blucey »

Renegade is best.

TR is good but too easy. It's basically trivial to complete. The weapons feel too limiting for me, the co op didn't work great because the keyboard controls would get a bit mixed up and it was a bit too cartoonist.

Still good tho. And not the abortion that followed.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

If Target Renegade is too easy for you, you have 2 options:

1) Complete it, save a snapshot there and always play from that snapshot. It restarts but with bigger difficulty.

2) Play my mod :) https://bumfungaming.com/shop/zx-games/targetrenegade/
Mike Davies
Microbot

Post by Mike Davies »

As much as I love Target Renegade and would list it higher than Renegade in my all time favourites, Renegade is just a much better, tighter game, and tougher to complete. Renegade, like Flying Shark, is an improvement on the original arcade.