ZX HSC Round 1 - Bomb Jack / Penetrator

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
akeley
Manic Miner

Re: ZX HSC Round 1 - Bomb Jack / Penetrator

Post by akeley »

Scores are all great and good (keep'em coming) but we were supposed to chat about the games too. It's in dem rules folks! 8-)

So, do you know any interesting trivia & tidbits about these games?

I've been trying out Bomb Jack on other formats. C64 version was godawful: lurid colours and everything big and silly looking. Amstrad one I think is the best, because the controls are supertight, you can stop on a dime and walk on air. The gfx is also better than C64. Spectrum one compares very favourably to Amstrad gameplay wise, but also gfx is great because it has so much detail, even if less colour, and it's cleverly composed.

I did try arcade too but only briefly. It is, unsurprisingly, best overall, but the gulf is not as big as in other cases.
0 x

Mousey
Berk

Post by Mousey »

akeley wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:54 pm
I've been trying out Bomb Jack on other formats. C64 version was godawful: lurid colours and everything big and silly looking.
There is an updated version of Bomb Jack being developed for the C64 (Bomb Jack DX) which looks fantastic, but there haven't been any updates since Dec 2019, so I'm not sure if the project has permanently stalled or is just on hold for now:
https://compidiaries.wordpress.com/
1 x

Juan F. Ramirez
Rick Dangerous

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Comparing Penetrator with the game it was inspired from, Scramble, the original arcade has a fuel counter that must be fed by shooting fuel deposits or the counter reaches zero and you lose a life.

Fortunately Penetrator doesn't have this feature!
0 x

Morkin
Manic Miner

Post by Morkin »

Mousey wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:40 pm
Nohzdyve - 1,250
Grrrr...! Going to have to have another go now.. :x
akeley wrote:
The main bit of trivia (I think) I know about Penetrator, a landscape editor was used to create the levels, and the author decided to leave it in the program, meaning that users could create their own landscapes. Inspired idea IMO. Had lots of fun designing levels back in the day.
1 x

akeley
Manic Miner

Post by akeley »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:42 pm
Comparing Penetrator with the game it was inspired from, Scramble, the original arcade has a fuel counter that must be fed by shooting fuel deposits or the counter reaches zero and you lose a life.

Fortunately Penetrator doesn't have this feature!
It does, in a way. You are supposed to destroy the radars, or otherwise the game will get harder (has to do with rockets starting frequency/accuracy?) which is represented by the "Danger" meter.
1 x

Morkin
Manic Miner

Post by Morkin »

akeley wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:19 am
This round ends on Sunday the 2nd of August, 00:00 GMT. Please submit your final score by then.
...Just to clarify, is that midnight on Saturday night, or midnight on Sunday night...? :geek:
0 x

smurphboy
Berk

Post by smurphboy »

I'm hitting a wall with the games. I think two weeks might just be the right time for a round. Lots of time to improve, but frustration hasn't set in yet.
1 x

Freespirit
Dizzy

Post by Freespirit »

akeley wrote:
Scores are all great and good (keep'em coming) but we were supposed to chat about the games too. It's in dem rules folks! 8-)

I've been trying out Bomb Jack on other formats. C64 version was godawful: lurid colours and everything big and silly looking. Amstrad one I think is the best, because the controls are supertight, you can stop on a dime and walk on air. The gfx is also better than C64. Spectrum one compares very favourably to Amstrad gameplay wise, but also gfx is great because it has so much detail, even if less colour, and it's cleverly composed.

I did try arcade too but only briefly. It is, unsurprisingly, best overall, but the gulf is not as big as in other cases.
I just tried the C64 version of Bomb Jack :o

It's Probably why:
Crash - 92% :)
Zzap - 47%
1 x

Morkin
Manic Miner

Post by Morkin »

...So out of interest, is there a tactic for collecting sparkling bombs in Bomb Jack?

I've been finding that I collect a few in order, then the next one will be where an enemy is patrolling (often in the top left of the screen). It'll just walk to and fro on the platform, making it impossible to collect the bomb.

By the time I've waited around for it to walk off the platform, a bunch more enemies have reached the bottom of the screen, morphed into more dangerous enemies, which makes it even harder to collect the bombs in order.

Question for you expert BombJack-ers... Are there certain screen layouts where you think it's worth going for a full chain, and some screens where it's not worth it..?
0 x

akeley
Manic Miner

Post by akeley »

Morkin wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:52 am
akeley wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:19 am
This round ends on Sunday the 2nd of August, 00:00 GMT. Please submit your final score by then.
midnight on Sunday
That's the one.
1 x