ZX HSC Round 1 - Bomb Jack / Penetrator

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
Mousey
Berk

Re: ZX HSC Round 1 - Bomb Jack / Penetrator

Post by Mousey »

Morkin wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:58 am
Question for you expert BombJack-ers... Are there certain screen layouts where you think it's worth going for a full chain, and some screens where it's not worth it..?
To quote myself from page 6 of this thread:

"One strategy I have is that on some later levels I just don't bother going for sparkling bombs at all because I know (from long experience) how very hard it is to collect enough for a bonus, no matter what order you try."

For me personally, I "usually" get 50K on stages 1-7 and 10, and sometimes on 8 & 9, but then we get to stage 11 - my nemesis. I'm not sure about Alessandro, but on this stage I just don't bother anymore - I get the bombs as quickly as possible and then move on (still taken from YouTube):

0 x

Morkin
Manic Miner

Post by Morkin »

OK, I'm going to have to try again with this then... If I can somehow do the first four levels in perfect order I should be able to automatically beat my score, though it's easier said than done..!

On the whole, I'm otherwise largely done with my scores now as I think I've given each game a decent go, and am rarely beating my own scores when I replay them. I might give each game all one final go on Sunday evening before the deadline ;) ...

I reckon a week might have been enough for me for all 3 games, but I appreciate that people have time constraints, holidays etc. so two-weeks is cool with me. There's also been more chat than I thought - perhaps partly because it's the first challenge where enthusiasm is high, but 18 pages of comments when the challenge isn't actually finished yet is pretty encouraging.. 8-)
0 x

akeley
Manic Miner

Post by akeley »

Interesting, about the BJ strategy, I thought getting at least some chains even on later stages is crucial to get mil+ scores. My problem is that I usually get so hung up on doing it in first stages that I lose all my lives attempting perfect combos. Greed=/=good.

Yes, it's a very lively response, I have never seen a HSC that busy and chatty yet, and it's very nice. But it will probably die down a bit in next rounds, because of the games drawn or time/enthusiasm constraints. So, spread the word if you can, we could always use some more participants!
1 x

Juan F. Ramirez
Rick Dangerous

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

New personal record in Nohzdyve: 320 wow!

My points so far:

Bomb Jack: 85,130
Penetrator: 29,940
Nohzdyve: 320
0 x

Morkin
Manic Miner

Post by Morkin »

akeley wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:38 pm
Interesting, about the BJ strategy, I thought getting at least some chains even on later stages is crucial to get mil+ scores. My problem is that I usually get so hung up on doing it in first stages that I lose all my lives attempting perfect combos. Greed=/=good.
The other thing is that if you lose a life when going for the combo, I think it turns off the sparkle from the next bomb you were about to collect, which effectively reduces your potential bonus by 10k (I'm sure the Bomb Jack experts can confirm/refute this). So in effect, punishing you for being a bit crap.. :lol:
1 x

Mousey
Berk

Post by Mousey »

akeley wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:38 pm
In case I've not been clear - yes, I do get some bonus chains in later stages, but there is also an increase of the odd stage (e.g. stage 11) where it's just not worth going for the bonus. I was actually on a great run of 50K bonuses (4 in a row) just before I lost my last life on my 1.4 million go.
Morkin wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:55 am
The other thing is that if you lose a life when going for the combo, I think it turns off the sparkle from the next bomb you were about to collect, which effectively reduces your potential bonus by 10k (I'm sure the Bomb Jack experts can confirm/refute this).
That's correct. Even if you get 23 sparkling bombs in a row, but die before you can collect the 24th and final bomb, you will only get 30K, not 50K. The first non-sparkling bomb you collect reduces your bonus by 20K, and subsequent ones by 10K. You need at least 21 sparkling bombs to get a bonus of 10K (22 = 20K, 23 = 30K, 24 = 50K).
0 x

Mousey
Berk

Post by Mousey »

FINAL SCORES:

Bomb Jack - 1,423,260 (unchanged)
Penetrator - 37,070 (unchanged)
Nohzdyve - 1,250 (unchanged)

I've had fun with these games but playing any more for now might start becoming a chore. I'm proud of myself for improving my HARP Bomb Jack score, and "completing" Penetrator (getting to the end and back again).

Here is my missing screenshot for Nohzdyve that (for some reason) I couldn't upload the other day:

1 x

Mousey
Berk

Post by Mousey »

@akeley - when it comes to round 2, do you pick the games, or do we - people that have submitted scores - get to vote on what's next from a list?
0 x

Morkin
Manic Miner

Post by Morkin »

I don't think I'm going to be able to beat any of my scores, so I'm handing in my work now. I may have a chance at another go by tomorrow night but it's fairly unlikely...

Code: Select all

Bomb Jack:   162,570
Penetrator:   87,290
Nohzdyve:        920

1 x

Mousey
Berk

Post by Mousey »

Morkin wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:41 am
Nohzdyve: 920

Just in case this isn't picked up, @Morkin has quoted 920 as his high score for Nohzdyve, when in fact his high score is 1,160 as per his screenshot.
2 x