Which games didn't make the YS Top 100 because they came out too late?

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
Rev_Stuart_Campbell
Microbot

Which games didn't make the YS Top 100 because they came out too late?

Post by Rev_Stuart_Campbell »

Next year marks three decades since the legendary and definitive Your Sinclair All-Time Top 100 (http://worldofstuart.excellentcontent.c ... top100.htm) - still probably the most varied such chart that any format ever saw.

But did any true Speccy classics get released after it? I'm talking about COMMERCIAL RELEASES here, not homebrew stuff, which is a whole other matter. I'm struggling to think of much that came out after 1991 that would genuinely merit inclusion in a 2021 YS Top 100. Anyone?

(I had a look through the Readers' Top 100 - https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Your_Sinc ... rs_Top_100 - and nothing really fitted the bill. It's a weird chart clearly compiled from a very small number of votes, because how the HELL else did Mr Freeze get in there? And what's with Robocop being both #9 and #52?)
0 x

Andre Leao
Manic Miner

Re: Which games didn't make the YS Top 100 because they came out too late?

Post by Andre Leao »

The Sword of Ianna would be an obvious choice... ;)
0 x

Andre Leao
Manic Miner

Post by Andre Leao »

Some other top games from the last 2 or 3 years: Crystal Kingdom Dizzy, Aliens Neoplasma, Valley of Rains and Unhallowed. Dizzy is the only non-comercial game of the list
0 x

Mousey
Berk

Post by Mousey »

Rev_Stuart_Campbell wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:23 pm
But did any true Speccy classics get released after it? I'm talking about COMMERCIAL RELEASES here, not homebrew stuff, which is a whole other matter. I'm struggling to think of much that came out after 1991 that would genuinely merit inclusion in a 2021 YS Top 100. Anyone?
I'm not sure if these count as "true Speccy classics" but they might get into some people's top 100:

Space Crusade (1992; rated 91% Crash & SU, 92% YS):
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/4 ... ce_Crusade

Turbo the Tortoise (1992; rated 85% SU, 94% YS):
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/5 ... e_Tortoise

And yeah, Mr Freeze is an awful game (I bought it back in the day, expecting something like Booty) that wouldn't feature in my top 1,000 let alone 100.
1 x

Nienn Heskil
Dizzy

Post by Nienn Heskil »

'Classics' is an extremely vague category. Oftentimes it just means, 'a type of game that wasn't done before, but not really the best of its kind'. At other times, it could variously mean 'a game with an old idea, that perfected it', 'my baby duck syndrome says this is 100% a classic', and so on. There's no way to tell what you're asking here, exactly.
SpoilerShow
'Homebrew' vs 'non-homebrew' is also pretty much meaningless, many of the games from that list are literally works of bedroom coders, and would classify as 'homebrew' today.
If you just want to ask, 'if there were any good games released commercially since 1991?', then the answer is, 'yes, plenty - in countries all over the world'.
1 x

akeley
Manic Miner

Post by akeley »

This list would work much better if it wasn't a ranking. The preposterousness of Deathchase being #1 makes this angle completely irrelevant.
0 x

RWAC
Microbot

Post by RWAC »

Not as crazy as All or Nothing at no.3.

A truly terrible game whose claim to fame seems to be that nobody's ever heard of it.

No Myth, Monty Mole or Chaos is also an outrage!
Yes that's right an outrage!
2 x

Audionautas
Microbot

Post by Audionautas »

Rev_Stuart_Campbell wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:23 pm

Hi

You're talking about "Commercial releases" referring to physical releases, right? In that case there is a lot of commercial games released that way in small batches of hundreds at the most in recent years, obviously not even close to the 80s and early 90s when a game release had thousands of copies, but commercial releases after all. Here is a list of some games with physical version. Classics? I don't know, it's up to each person.

The Sword of Ianna, Los Amores de Brunilda, Carlos Michelis, Twilight - The Land of Shadows, Invasion of the Zombie Monsters, Aliens Neoplasma, Ninjajar!, Cray 5, Castlevania - Spectral Interlude, Ooze, More Tea, Vicar?, Stronghold, Alter Ego, Metal Man Reloaded, Splattr, La Corona Encantada, Gluf, Mighty Final Fight, Mister Kung-Fu, Yazzie, Old Tower, Robots Rumble, The Dark, Tourmaline, Valley of Rains (soon to be released), Gandalf, Double Bubble, The Prayer of the Warrior (cover inlay of the physical edition not included on ZXDB), Black & White, Vampire Vengeance, Retroforce, Genesis - Dawn of a New Day, El Stompo, Zombie Calavera Prologue, Pentacorn Quest, Curse of the Night (Kliatba Noci), Quadrax, Sherwood, Towdie, Vallation, Pietro Bros, Dreamwalker: Alter Ego 2, Lirus, Thieves School (Escuela de Ladrones), Laetitia, Dead Flesh Boy, Karlos, Dirty Dozer, The Dark Hospital, Multitude, Ninjakul 2: The Last Ninja, Qbox, Tiki Taca, The Curse of Trazmoz, The Curse of Rabenstein, ZX Larry, Wanderers - Chained in the Dark, Doom Pit, Sam Mallard and dozens more.
1 x

Rev_Stuart_Campbell
Microbot

I was pretty sure everyone knew what I meant by "COMMERCIAL releases, not homebrew stuff", but clearly not :(
1 x

Rev_Stuart_Campbell
Microbot

RWAC wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:02 am
Not as crazy as All or Nothing at no.3.

A truly terrible game whose claim to fame seems to be that nobody's ever heard of it.
Step. Outside. Now.
0 x