Which games didn't make the YS Top 100 because they came out too late?

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
Alessandro
Manic Miner

Re: Which games didn't make the YS Top 100 because they came out too late?

Post by Alessandro »

Audionautas wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:22 am
Hi

You're talking about "Commercial releases" referring to physical releases, right? In that case there is a lot of commercial games released that way in small batches of hundreds at the most in recent years, obviously not even close to the 80s and early 90s when a game release had thousands of copies, but commercial releases after all. Here is a list of some games with physical version. Classics? I don't know, it's up to each person.

You forgot my Seto Taisho Vs Yokai, Seto Taisho To Kazan, Doom Pit, Cousin Horace, Funky Fungus Reloaded (as part of the Play On Retro cartridge) and (announced, to be released within this year) Sophia and Sophia II. :roll:

Apart from the shameless plug, there's been too much emphasis on physical releases in the last 2-3 years. Being released on cassette is not a guarantee of being a "classic", whatever that might be. I totally agree with @Nienn Heskil upon this.
1 x

lister_of_smeg
Dizzy

Post by lister_of_smeg »

akeley wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:47 am
This list would work much better if it wasn't a ranking. The preposterousness of Deathchase being #1 makes this angle completely irrelevant.
You people who like Jet Set Willy and Renegade are like so mainstream! You've probably never even heard of this game... :lol:
0 x

Alone Coder
Microbot

Post by Alone Coder »

Black Raven is #1.
1 x

Audionautas
Microbot

Post by Audionautas »

Alessandro wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:55 am

You forgot my Seto Taisho Vs Yokai, Seto Taisho To Kazan, Doom Pit, Cousin Horace, Funky Fungus Reloaded (as part of the Play On Retro cartridge) and (announced, to be released within this year) Sophia and Sophia II. :roll:

Apart from the shameless plug, there's been too much emphasis on physical releases in the last 2-3 years. Being released on cassette is not a guarantee of being a "classic", whatever that might be. I totally agree with @Nienn Heskil upon this.
Yes, sorry, I mentioned Doom Pit, but I forgot all the others. ;-) Anyway it was just to emphasize that there are lots of physical releases nowadays, but obviously that's not a requirement for being a classic. There's dozens of impressive Spectrum games never released on physical. I also agree with @Nienn Heskil comments.
1 x

Alessandro
Manic Miner

Post by Alessandro »

Sorry @Audionautas, it seems I failed to locate Doom Pit mentioned in that long string of names :?

Anyway, just to remain within the topic: I don't think Top 100 lists or "best" lists of any kind are of any "real" worth. As you noticed too, it is a highly subjective matter. In my Annual I picked 25 games which I reckoned to be the most interesting of 2019 in my opinion, and even assigned them some ratings, Michelin guide-style. However I always underlined that it is my personal opinion, motivated of course, but still subjective. No one is obliged to agree :)
1 x

XTM
Berk

Post by XTM »

Nienn Heskil wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:33 am
If you just want to ask, 'if there were any good games released commercially since 1991?', then the answer is, 'yes, plenty - in countries all over the world'.
Heh, this reminds me of an article I once read, I think it was called "The 500 best music albums of all time" or so, and about 490 of them had lyrics in the English language or were from one of the countries where English is a native language. So obviously music that isn't in English isn't worth it then, eh? 8-)
1 x

Vampyre
Manic Miner

Post by Vampyre »

RWAC wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:02 am
Not as crazy as All or Nothing at no.3.
And Stop the Express at No. 4... A good game, that I enjoyed, but the fourth best Speccy game of all time?
0 x

Sokurah
Microbot

Post by Sokurah »

Rev_Stuart_Campbell wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:25 am
I was pretty sure everyone knew what I meant by "COMMERCIAL releases, not homebrew stuff", but clearly not :(
Some people (and apparently a lot of them) refuse to understand the simplest things if it doesn't fit their own narrative :roll:
0 x
Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games.
My games for the Spectrum: Dingo, The Speccies, The Speccies 2, Vallation & Sqij.
Twitter: Sokurah

Andre Leao
Manic Miner

Post by Andre Leao »

Audionautas wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:22 am
Rev_Stuart_Campbell wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:23 pm

But did any true Speccy classics get released after it? I'm talking about COMMERCIAL RELEASES here, not homebrew stuff, which is a whole other matter. I'm struggling to think of much that came out after 1991 that would genuinely merit inclusion in a 2021 YS Top 100. Anyone?
Hi

You're talking about "Commercial releases" referring to physical releases, right? In that case there is a lot of commercial games released that way in small batches of hundreds at the most in recent years, obviously not even close to the 80s and early 90s when a game release had thousands of copies, but commercial releases after all. Here is a list of some games with physical version. Classics? I don't know, it's up to each person.

The Sword of Ianna, Los Amores de Brunilda, Carlos Michelis, Twilight - The Land of Shadows, Invasion of the Zombie Monsters, Aliens Neoplasma, Ninjajar!, Cray 5, Castlevania - Spectral Interlude, Ooze, More Tea, Vicar?, Stronghold, Alter Ego, Metal Man Reloaded, Splattr, La Corona Encantada, Gluf, Mighty Final Fight, Mister Kung-Fu, Yazzie, Old Tower, Robots Rumble, The Dark, Tourmaline, Valley of Rains (soon to be released), Gandalf, Double Bubble, The Prayer of the Warrior (cover inlay of the physical edition not included on ZXDB), Black & White, Vampire Vengeance, Retroforce, Genesis - Dawn of a New Day, El Stompo, Zombie Calavera Prologue, Pentacorn Quest, Curse of the Night (Kliatba Noci), Quadrax, Sherwood, Towdie, Vallation, Pietro Bros, Dreamwalker: Alter Ego 2, Lirus, Thieves School (Escuela de Ladrones), Laetitia, Dead Flesh Boy, Karlos, Dirty Dozer, The Dark Hospital, Multitude, Ninjakul 2: The Last Ninja, Qbox, Tiki Taca, The Curse of Trazmoz, The Curse of Rabenstein, ZX Larry, Wanderers - Chained in the Dark, Doom Pit, Sam Mallard and dozens more.
How could I forget Castlevania from my list? I even translated it to portuguese :)
1 x

+3code
Microbot

Post by +3code »

I think "classic" are only games that were published comercially while the Spectrum was in market (1982-1992).
0 x