The first game you bought

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

The first game you bought

Post by PeteProdge »

Curse Of Sherwood for me. Although I had plenty of decent Ocean/Imagine hits already supplied with my ZX Spectrum 128K +2 in 1987 (thanks Dixons), the cartoon artwork on this £2 Mastertronic had been rather compelling. I'd stared at a rack of cheap games in Boots in the weeks leading up to getting my first ever computer.

It's largely forgotten because it's a budget release in the midst of the Speccy's commercial peak, but I think it's a pretty damned good title. Yeah, it's rather generic, but had it been released a few years earlier, it'd have been typical of full price offerings. There's something about it that makes it feel like a phantom Ultimate title. Call me a heretic if you wish...
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
Spud
Manic Miner

Re: The first game you bought

Post by Spud »

The first Speccy game I bought for our ZX Spectrum was Dizzy. I lived off budget titles for the next few years as the measly pocket money I had didn't go very far. In fact the only full price title I bought for the the system was 720 Degrees.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Collieuk
Drutt

Post by Collieuk »

I'm not sure what the first game I bought was, but I recall for one of my birthday's, or possibly Christmas I got BMX Simulator and Fighting Warrior. Those were the first two games that were mine as opposed to mine and my brother's. After that I was allowed the occasional £1.99 or £2.99 title. I begrudged paying £3.99 later!
Another wonderfully irrelevant and inept post no doubt.
Mike Davies
Microbot

Post by Mike Davies »

I think it was Saboteur, I can recall the loading screen, but it crashed while loading. It turned out there was a fault on my 48k Spectrum, so it was only happy with 16k games. I returned it to the shop and got Estimator Racer. Yeah I know, shoot me now.
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

PSSST (Ultimate) and Backgammon (Psion) are my first Spectrum games.
Beautiful memories, almost untouched after more than 30 years.
Great times. :)
Blerkotron
Dizzy

Post by Blerkotron »

Trashman - not my first game, but the first one I bought with my own money rather than receiving it as a present. I bought it on a whim because I liked the sound of it from the inlay (I'd no idea whether it was any good or not, I'd never even heard of it) and it turned out to be one of my favourite Speccy games ever. Which is kind of incredible when you think about it.

My brother wasn't so lucky - he bought Softek's "Monsters in Hell" at the same time and.... oh dear.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Match Day & Raid Over Moscow, the same day I got my brand new Spectrum plus.

Not bad games, I think :)
ramsrc
Drutt

Post by ramsrc »

To be honest, I can't remember the first game I actually bought - but the first game I got was Manic Miner. With my Spectrum, Christmas 1983. :)
A hollow voice says "Plugh"
Dark
Dizzy

Post by Dark »

PeteProdge wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:50 pm Curse Of Sherwood for me. Although I had plenty of decent Ocean/Imagine hits already supplied with my ZX Spectrum 128K +2 in 1987 (thanks Dixons), the cartoon artwork on this £2 Mastertronic had been rather compelling. I'd stared at a rack of cheap games in Boots in the weeks leading up to getting my first ever computer.
Don’t remember the first game that I bought, but I certainly had, Curse of Sherwood, which I thought was great. Played it loads but never got anywhere near to completing it.
Jet5y
Drutt

Post by Jet5y »

Eddie Kidds Jump Challenge and Booty.

Clearly the budget game was the clear winner! Didn't buy many full price games after that, not that I could afford any anyway.
robmaxuk
Drutt

Post by robmaxuk »

I can't remember which was first out of Manic Miner and Krazy Kong... though I do remember playing Manic Miner to completion and just shoving Krazy Kong in a drawer after playing it twice!
blucey
Manic Miner

Post by blucey »

PeteProdge wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:50 pm Curse Of Sherwood for me. Although I had plenty of decent Ocean/Imagine hits already supplied with my ZX Spectrum 128K +2 in 1987 (thanks Dixons), the cartoon artwork on this £2 Mastertronic had been rather compelling. I'd stared at a rack of cheap games in Boots in the weeks leading up to getting my first ever computer.

It's largely forgotten because it's a budget release in the midst of the Speccy's commercial peak, but I think it's a pretty damned good title. Yeah, it's rather generic, but had it been released a few years earlier, it'd have been typical of full price offerings. There's something about it that makes it feel like a phantom Ultimate title. Call me a heretic if you wish...
I liked it. It reminded me of Feud but it was good. For a while. And then it was ruined by a swamp bit if I remember correctly.
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

Lunar Jetman.. Once mastered, you will never forget how to play and win.
blucey
Manic Miner

Post by blucey »

My first game was a Pengo clone. Pingo, Pengo, Pingu. I don't know. I've tried to find out but they are all much of a muchness. It was a half decent conversion of the arcade game. Would have been around 1985 I think. 1.99 from the sweet shop sort of deal.
Andrew771
Drutt

Post by Andrew771 »

At the beginning, I had only 2 cassettes with approximately 20 games in 1993. The first on the list was Air Wolf, but she did not boot. The second was Video Pool, it loaded well, and it was my first and one of my favorite games.
Coder of ZXOOM, Euphoria 2D, ZX Like Pascal, Russian Railway Magnate...
Cosmium
Microbot

Post by Cosmium »

It was either Orbiter by Silversoft or Spectral Invaders by Bug Byte, but both were bought after seeing them running at a ZX Microfair.

Spectral Invaders was particularly impressive at the time, being one of the first "hi-res" games I'd seen on the Spectrum. Seeing the machine achieve smooth movement :o made me feel like a world of possibilities were opening up, as this was back in 1982 when most other games still used jerkier, character based movement.
+3code

Post by +3code »

Uff, I think my first tape was that:

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 6&id=13609

And then "Turrican", "Don Quijote" (a spanish text adventure), "Mad Mix Game", "Humphrey" and a lot of more.

Yeah, I was in the lattest years of the Spectrum.
cha05e90
Dizzy

Post by cha05e90 »

Uh - this was my first one:

Frenzy (the Spectrum Games variant!)*

...and, boy, I was disappointed. The next titles were Jetpac and TransAm - faaar better games...:-)

*) I think I spotted an error on that DB entry: The first Crash magazine entry is *not* this Frenzy but the Quicksilva's one!
48K/+/+/+/+128K/Vega/Next&80/81&88
Packobilly
Drutt

Post by Packobilly »

Nice years!!
I remember the first game I bought was Babaliba from Dinamic. I recevied It with a letter written by one of the Ruíz brothers.
And still got it. Those treasures that you love...
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

Mine was Luna Crabs by Micromega. Basically we'd had several Dragon 32's which had all died, so we got the cash back and bought a 48k speccy from Boots. I seem to remember that part of the deal was that you could select 1 free game off the shelf and I picked Luna Crabs, purely based on the fact that it had 3D in massive letters on the front
uglifruit
Manic Miner

Post by uglifruit »

I bought "Byte" a text adventure by CSS, which I took home with the ZX Spectrum I'd been given. What a mistake. I really wanted JetPac but couldn't afford the extra 50p. I was so upset with my (poor) choice that mum took me back to get that too.
CLEAR 23855
RMartins
Manic Miner

Post by RMartins »

My first games where:
1 - Space invaders (it was a clone, with a different name)
2 - AirWolf
3 - Commando
DouglasReynholm
Manic Miner

Post by DouglasReynholm »

My first 3, from memory and (I think!) in order:

1. Kong - Ocean
2. Mined Out - Quicksilva
3. Leapfrog - CDS
oblo
Drutt

Post by oblo »

Thing Bounces Back. I already had more games, but this was truly and solely bought with my week assignment :D

Cheers.
Cheers.