Game art copied from elsewhere

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
Nomad
Manic Miner

Re: Game art copied from elsewhere

Post by Nomad »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:07 am Am I the only one who see the guy in this loading screen is Clark Gable?
Yea it looks like one of his promo shots. (well as much as a spectrum screen can of a real person..)

Lol I can't find it but definitely it is out their. (unless there is a Mandela effect incident going on now.)
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

On the Spectrum the character looked more like Clark Gable maybe, but he was supposed to be Ernesto 'Che' Guevara. I played the coin-op quite a bit back in the day, and was really appalled at the mess Sentient Software made with the Spectrum conversion, even more so given their respectable record. The game was in fact originally called Guevara in Japan, but was renamed to Guerrilla War in the West, out of fear of offending Americans due to the friction with Cuba etc.

Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

That's makes more sense :)
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

From Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guerrilla ... ideo_game)

As the original title indicates, the game is based on the exploits of revolutionary Che Guevara, and the defeat of the Batista regime in Cuba in the late 1950s. In addition, player 2's character was Fidel Castro ;)
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

I think in the Legend of the Amazon Women cover the woman nearest the dinosaurs is based on the figure in a Frank Frazetta picture of a Triceratops and Tyrannosaurus Rex (though oddly the dinosaurs are not copied from this image).

Legend of the Amazon Women cover

Frank Frazetta, 'Dinosaurs'

Details:

(BTW what has happened to all the PostImage links in this thread? I switched to PostImage because vgy.me links stopped working, but now vgy.me works and PostImage does not!)
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

Rorthron wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:44 pm (BTW what has happened to all the PostImage links in this thread? I switched to PostImage because vgy.me links stopped working, but now vgy.me works and PostImage does not!)
The problem seems to be that PostImage has changed its domain name. In all the links ".org" needs to be replaced with ".cc". Would an admin or moderator be willing to amend the posts (a fun job for a Sunday afternoon)?
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

Ralf wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:52 pm The archer from Frank Frazetta:

Land of Terror, by Frank Frazetta

Rorthron wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:12 pm I'm not quite sure about the archer. The pose looks a bit different to me.
Actually Ralf is quite right: the archer (third from the right) is from the Frazetta image. (I got confused which figure Ralf was referring to.)
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

Legend of the Amazon Women cover

Rorthron wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:12 pm I suspect the woman on the top right is based on Raquel Welch from the same film [One Million Years BC], but can't point to the source image.
I've found the image:

Raquel Welch in promotional photograph for One Million Years BC

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

I'm fine with the buttocks, but speaking as a Geologist, I'm concerned by the sexual chemistry between Frank's T-Rex and Triceratops.
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

R-Tape wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:39 pm I'm fine with the buttocks, but speaking as a Geologist, I'm concerned by the sexual chemistry between Frank's T-Rex and Triceratops.
Now that I've got your attention, any chance of fixing the links?
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Rorthron wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:00 pm Now that I've got your attention, any chance of fixing the links?
Apologies. I'm on mobile. I've done a couple of pages and will do the rest tomorrow.
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

R-Tape wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:16 pm
Rorthron wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:00 pm Now that I've got your attention, any chance of fixing the links?
Apologies. I'm on mobile. I've done a couple of pages and will do the rest tomorrow.
No need to apologise. Thanks.
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

The Steven Seagal image in IK+ was traced earlier in this thread, but I've also tracked down a Chuck Norris image in the cover.

IK+ cover (Hit Squad release)

Cover of 'Black Belt' magazine, September 1988

Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Well spotted!
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

By the way, does anyone know how the artists copied the art in a predigital age? Did they use a pantograph to produce a sketch, then paint over it?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantograph
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Rorthron wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:32 am By the way, does anyone know how the artists copied the art in a predigital age? Did they use a pantograph to produce a sketch, then paint over it?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantograph
hehe, simple but effective! :)
Bizzley
Microbot

Post by Bizzley »

Rorthron wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:32 am By the way, does anyone know how the artists copied the art in a predigital age? Did they use a pantograph to produce a sketch, then paint over it?
In my experience they just started drawing on the Spectrum screen, usually with Melbourne Draw, without any aids. Seeing Mark Jones accurately draw outlines a pixel at a time via the keyboard was impressive. I don't think any talented artist would have used a pantograph, it's just too clunky for accurately reproducing small images.
"He made eloquent speeches to an audience consisting of a few depressed daffodil roots, and sometimes the cat from next door."
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

Bizzley wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:48 pm
In my experience they just started drawing on the Spectrum screen, usually with Melbourne Draw, without any aids. Seeing Mark Jones accurately draw outlines a pixel at a time via the keyboard was impressive. I don't think any talented artist would have used a pantograph, it's just too clunky for accurately reproducing small images.
I'm sure you're right for loading screens, but for the cover art there must have been some method for copying the images from the sources mentioned in this thread. A pantograph is the only one I can think of. Does anyone have any other suggestions?
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

You can use a grid; draw a grid of squares on a clear plastic sheet and lay it over the original.
Draw a square grid in light pencil on your drawing paper, and reproduce the outlines and then details using the grid lines as a guide.
This method also helps you scale things to the size you want.

There's also a trick of looking through a sheet of glass at the work you're doing, and having it partially reflect the image you want to copy. But you have to sit very still and only use one eye to make your sketch line up with the ghostly reflection of the original, so I've never got it to work.

For my ZXArt screens I crop and scale an image down to 256x192, enhance the edges and contrast, then scale it up by 9/8 to 288x216 and delete the duplicated pixels. That leaves me with individual 8x8 squares with white or black pixel lines in-between.
I use that as a guide to the detail I can achieve in each character square, and the original full-size image as a guide to layout and colour.
But then I start with a blank screen with a character grid, paint in roughly the attributes I want to use, then draw in the detail pixel-by-pixel
Ersh
Manic Miner

Post by Ersh »

Drawing with the aid of a grid has been used for hundreds of years and is still in practise today, especially when doing larger work. It's a pretty easy method once you get it down.

Edit: Joefish was quicker. :)
Kweepa
Manic Miner

Post by Kweepa »

Photocopy + lightbox.
That's how my brother did this sort of thing :)

EDIT: Of course getting it into the game is another trick, which is what you were asking. Derp.
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

A coincidence?

Movie poster for Ninja III: The Domination (1984)

Advert for The Last Ninja, by System 3

Details:

Last edited by Rorthron on Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

Movie poster for Ninja Terminator (1985)

Cover of Ninja Commando, by Zeppelin Games

Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Rorthron wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:25 am Movie poster for Ninja Terminator (1985)

It seems they're not ninjas, just a couple of guys wearing raincoats :lol:
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

And the "deadly ninja weaponry" note as a lure is just brilliant!