Game art copied from elsewhere

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Re: Game art copied from elsewhere

Post by Rorthron »

Frank Frazetta, Lord of the Rings sketch (1975)

Willow Pattern cover

Another from the same thread.
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Re: Ultimate artwork

Post by Rorthron »

Rorthron wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:17 pmAlien movie still

Gryzor cover

The Gryzor alien actually comes from the Japanese flyer.

Japanese Contra/Gryzor flyer

Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

Rorthron wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:48 pm Still of Harrison Ford as Han Solo in Star Wars (1977)

Chase HQ cover

I am not sure about the source of the second face. I first thought it might be Philip Michael Thomas (Tubbs in Miami Vice), but I think it is actually Billy Dee Williams (Lando Calrissian in Star Wars).

Photograph of Billy Dee Williams as Lando Calrissian in The Empire Strikes Back (1980)

Still of Philip Michael Thomas as Tubbs in Miami Vice (1984-1989)

This sctually came via the arcade flyer:

Chase HQ arcade flyer

Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

It seems that the Chase HQ figure is Billy Dee Williams. This is the source:

Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

Finally... one of the missing Amazon Women!

Raquel Welch in The Magic Christian (1969)

Legend of the Amazon Women inlay

Details:

Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

Cover of The Deadly Hands of Kung Fu 11, by Marvel

Renegade cover

Here is it flipped to show it more clearly:

(This, like most of the others recently, comes from the HG101 thread mentioned earlier.)
Kweepa
Manic Miner

Post by Kweepa »

Rorthron wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:32 pm It seems that the Chase HQ figure is Billy Dee Williams. This is the source:
I don't see it (the match I mean).
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

Kweepa wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:31 pm
Rorthron wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:32 pm It seems that the Chase HQ figure is Billy Dee Williams. This is the source:
These images are from the arcade flyer, not Bob Wakelin's cover, but Wakelin followed it pretty closely (or possibly vice versa).

The artist has trimmed Williams' hair and given his moustache to Harrison Ford.

In the case of the hands, the artist has somewhat weirdly moved the knuckles, so as to reposition the top two fingers, but has retained the same overall hand shape, making the third finger from the top freakishly long. He has obviously added a second hand, as well.

The flyer artist also made the hands way too big! Wakelin fixed that.
Bizzley
Microbot

Post by Bizzley »

Kweepa wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:31 pm
Nor me, looks a real stretch to be honest. That pose was pretty much standard for movie and TV characters in the 70's, just off the top of my head have a look at the 'Magnum Heat' version video cover of 'Hickey and Boggs' for a similar hand\gun pose. And they've even got the yellow car on two wheels being blown up from behind on that cover as well! Not saying that this is the actual template for the arcade Chase HQ ad- definitely not the faces - but you might put it in the "inspired by" column.

"He made eloquent speeches to an audience consisting of a few depressed daffodil roots, and sometimes the cat from next door."
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

Bizzley wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:45 pm
Kweepa wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:31 pm I don't see it (the match I mean).
Nor me, looks a real stretch to be honest.
It's hard to see at first, as the hair changes really alter the overall impression, and the different lighting makes a difference, too. But if you closely match the details (eg the eyes, nose, etc), it's almost an exact copy.

I'll try to do an overlay of the two images.
Bizzley
Microbot

Post by Bizzley »

Actor Robert Hook, original pic then rotated and aspect ratio changed to make it similar to arcade flyer.

"He made eloquent speeches to an audience consisting of a few depressed daffodil roots, and sometimes the cat from next door."
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

Bizzley wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:38 pm Actor Robert Hook, original pic then rotated and aspect ratio changed to make it similar to arcade flyer.

I think you're getting onto dangerous territory here....

The Robert Hook image doesn't match. There is a vague general resemblance, but the specific features don't match up: eyes, mouth, nose, hairlines, etc are all different.
Ersh
Manic Miner

Post by Ersh »

There are a few examples in this thread that are a bit of a stretch and then some. But this is not even close, totally different facial structure. Robert Hook looks a bit more like the cop in question but I'm pretty sure he's not the model either.
Bizzley
Microbot

Post by Bizzley »

I'm not saying for definite that it is a match, nor am I saying the pic I posted was used in any way as a template, I could have used Raymond St. Jacques for example from 'Come Back Charleston Blue' instead and given more time to go through my blaxploitation films likely many others. It's just to point out that it's a possibility and not a certainty. The yellow car on two wheels flying over another car could just as well have come from the Midas VHS cover of Franco Nero's 'The Marseilles Contract' - it's all subjective in the end.

It's obvious the artists involved in all these Game Arts did some tweaking to whatever they used as source material to avoid accusations of outright plagiarism, be it removing a moustache and changing the fingers or flipping lips and amending a hairstyle. Unfortunately a lot of this went on with video covers, one company being "inspired" by another, so unless it's a pretty definite looky-likey then it's a toss of the coin thing as to which source material was actually used. Swarthy guy with sunglasses and a big gun looking mean, 'Cobra' or 'Enforcer 2'? Bare chested dude with a bandana, knife and a big machine gun rescuing prisoners from the jungle, 'Rambo' or 'Slash'?
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

OK, so here is the Billy Dee Williams image and the Chase HQ image. The image I originally posted was slightly stretched. I've used what I think is a correctly proportioned version this time. I've also used a PC this time so have been able to align them more accurately:

It looks like a pretty good resemblance to me.

I set both images to 50% transparency and overlaid them. They lined up almost exactly, though you have to look pretty carefully, as it's a little hard to separate the two images when they're static. It's much easier if you are moving them around. The top half lines up exactly, as does the bottom half, but the two halves are slightly out of synch.

For comparison I did overlays with the Robert Hook and Bill Cosby images. They lined up much less well, though again it's not that easy to see without moving the images round and trying to fit them together.

The hairlines are different, the eyes don't line up, the nose tips are in different places, the ears are very different. Some small differences are to be expected, but these are huge.

These two didn't line up at all.

I was sceptical about the Billy Dee Williams image at first, but I think it stands up to scrutiny. I feel pretty confident it is the source (or very close to it - maybe an image a few frames either way).

I appreciate the overlays might all look like blurry messes, but if you have a go yourself to align transparent versions, you can see more clearly.
Bizzley
Microbot

Post by Bizzley »

I think you may be getting caught up too much in the need to find an identical image, exactly the same photo, whereas I'm trying to point out it's down to similarities in actors in general. If you want a nonsensical example then Billy Dee Williams can't be the model for Chase HQ because in that picture he has a moustache and the arcade flier version is clean shaven. QED. Once you start allowing for fudges like that then you have to apply it to others as well, so if Williams can have his tache digitally removed then other pics can be allowed similar manipulations.

So to clear the air: No, I don't believe the Robert Hook pic I posted was used for Chase HQ but - as someone else pointed out - Hook looks a lot more like a possible model for it than Williams. Ignoring the fact that I said "definitely not the faces" for Bill Cosby I can keep posting similarities between actors (not ignoring the original post that Philip Michael Thomas was the actual model which I tend to agree with) but it's not worth it. I can say that the following pics of Raymond St. Jacques and Calvin Lockhart absolutely weren't used for Chase HQ just as I can say that a younger\older\different pic of them or Hook MIGHT have been the model. I can't give a definite on the latter, I can only point out alternatives to a supposition.

I'm happy to leave things as they are and leave it to others to decide, it's all a bit of a storm in a teacup really and not worth falling out over :)

Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

Bizzley wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:38 pm I think you may be getting caught up too much in the need to find an identical image, exactly the same photo, whereas I'm trying to point out it's down to similarities in actors in general. If you want a nonsensical example then Billy Dee Williams can't be the model for Chase HQ because in that picture he has a moustache and the arcade flier version is clean shaven. QED. Once you start allowing for fudges like that then you have to apply it to others as well, so if Williams can have his tache digitally removed then other pics can be allowed similar manipulations.

So to clear the air: No, I don't believe the Robert Hook pic I posted was used for Chase HQ but - as someone else pointed out - Hook looks a lot more like a possible model for it than Williams. Ignoring the fact that I said "definitely not the faces" for Bill Cosby I can keep posting similarities between actors (not ignoring the original post that Philip Michael Thomas was the actual model which I tend to agree with) but it's not worth it. I can say that the following pics of Raymond St. Jacques and Calvin Lockhart absolutely weren't used for Chase HQ just as I can say that a younger\older\different pic of them or Hook MIGHT have been the model. I can't give a definite on the latter, I can only point out alternatives to a supposition.

I'm happy to leave things as they are and leave it to others to decide, it's all a bit of a storm in a teacup really and not worth falling out over :)

I think your arguments have more holes than a sieve, but I can't be bothered with this anymore, either. There are better things to do.
Kweepa
Manic Miner

Post by Kweepa »

Rorthron, it would be a shame if this stopped you, as you've found a lot of obvious copies, and I appreciate your work!
Ersh
Manic Miner

Post by Ersh »

I think Rorthron is right after all, it's Billy Dee Williams. I found the promo photo that was most certainly used. The shadows, lighting and angles seems too good a match not to be the reference. :) Was really hard to see the likeness in the photo Rorthron posted though.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

I think there's a fair chance Billy Dee Williams was the reference for this. It's not at all clear from the inlay cover, but it shows up a lot more in the less glossy arcade flyer.

If it is true, I wonder why they felt the need to take both from Star Wars?
Rorthron wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:00 pm There are better things to do.
Stop perving at Raquel Welch!
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

Rothron, I hope that you don't get upset by this discussion. I really do appreciate your discoveries and work put into this thread.

The really great discovery is the inspiration for Renegade inlay. I'va never seen this before and believed the inlay to be 100% original work.

As for the subject of discussion, I would dare to say that all black guys look the same, just like Chinese ;) Hope that you won't ban me for these words ;)
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Not artwork, but this loading screen of "Chambers of Horrors” by Omega Software reminds me of certain character used by a great rock band in their covers back in the 80s...

Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:51 pm Not artwork, but this loading screen of "Chambers of Horrors” by Omega Software reminds me of certain character used by a great rock band in their covers back in the 80s...

:lol:
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Eeerm, yes, that's the band, definitely!
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Xen by Sparklers.

The design of the nearest spaceship is very 'original'...