ZX Spectrum gaming on Twitch - anyone?

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

ZX Spectrum gaming on Twitch - anyone?

Post by PeteProdge »

Are there any ZX Spectrum-centric Twitch gaming channels, or even, just really good ones that feature the major 8-bit computers?

I'm thinking about doing something on the odd weekday evening, where I potter about on a Spectrum emulator* and natter along to viewers via the webcam/green screen. A bit like what modern gamers do on Twitch, but for those who worship at the altar of Sinclair.

I got used to the Twitch platform during the early part of lockdown when I took my sabbatical off retrogaming. Even though we weren't using it for gaming, it's clearly a platform that is heavily focused on gaming, 99% of it being the modern stuff (Assassin's FIFA Call Of Fortminecraftnite, I think it's called) spewed out from those PlayStation 7s and X-Box X Series X 360 X One Xs. I already had a lot of knowledge about OBS through capturing emulator output on it for my YouTube channel. Streaming through that wasn't too hard, although we had to experiment with settings that best matched my network (and that got easier once I abandoned the flaky Wi-Fi and went full wired Ethernet).

Currently, as stand-up gigs are incredibly rare, I'm missing the opportunity to talk bollocks to a crowd of people.

So, does anyone here watch Twitch or already have a channel? (And despite the snark, I'm not actually anti-modern-gaming, I just favour 2D worlds and the immense creativity around in the 1980s.)

* = I do own one real Spectrum, a 128, but that's somewhat, er, blown up.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
RMartins
Manic Miner

Re: ZX Spectrum gaming on Twitch - anyone?

Post by RMartins »

I don't know any, but it might be interesting.

I have a friend, that usually pays networked ZX spectrum games on Saturday night usually.
But he never streams it, except for the ones playing the games.

I have played Extruder and target renegade with him.

By the way, is there some form to list games that support two players simultaneously, here at Spectrum Computing ?

NOTE: The "multiplayer mode" filter, 3 values ("Cooperative", "team play" and "versus") doesn't seem to cover if it's turned based or simultaneous.

Extruder for example, doesn't even appear in the "versus" list, although it clearly supports it.

"Versus" has 13 games, but Chaos for example is not there.
"Cooperative" Only has 5 games
"teamplay" Only has Bomb Munchies in it.

Not sure exactly what "teamplay" stands for here ?
Multi entities controlled by single user, like in LaserSquad or Chaos, or several players in the same team ?

If it's the last one, what is the difference to "Cooperative", then ?
azesmbog
Manic Miner

Post by azesmbog »

Spoiler
https://www.twitch.tv/nordukzx
"Elite" aired yesterday

https://www.twitch.tv/videogamessematary
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpJqiJ ... RAvdESR0KQ

broadcast almost every day.
Yesterday was broadcast Prison Riot (1990).
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

RMartins wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:50 pm I don't know any, but it might be interesting.
I've delved into Twitch and found a channel - ZXSpectrumLoad - which has Speccy games run on an emulator window. No commentary, no sight of the person running it, it's purely the emulator...
There is also ZXSpectrum48K which again, is pure emulator output, but sadly it's stretched to fill a 16:9 aspect ratio.
RMartins wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:50 pmI have a friend, that usually pays networked ZX spectrum games on Saturday night usually.
But he never streams it, except for the ones playing the games.

I have played Extruder and target renegade with him.
I'd love to do that. Is that a RetroArch thing? I've never sussed out netplay.

If I'm going to do it, I'd like to have some guests on my channel.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

There is. People at the portuguese forum on facebook are playing Formula One (CRL) online, doing some championships, and streaming on Twitch at the same time...
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

Yes, what RMartins have told a few post above... Sorry Rui, didn´t notice your post :)
namco
Manic Miner

Post by namco »

I have done but I try not to too much to avoid clashing with my YouTube content - although I am preparing a Google Sheet of games that can be requested.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Uh-oh.

I am becoming one of 'them'...

https://twitch.tv/ReheatedPixels
Yes, this is happening. Mind you, gimme a week of testing. Then I'll get round to putting out actual gaming content. Will start with a few speccy games that I'm confident in completing...
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Keep us updated, I don't pop onto Twitch too often but if I'm free I'll join in and post some typically stupid comments... :D
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
smurphboy
Manic Miner

Post by smurphboy »

I'm half tempted... I've done some YouTube streaming (mostly PS4) in the past, but never did Twitch or any Speccy gaming. I'll watch with interest.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Right then...

8pm Tuesday 18th August

Join me on Reheated Pixels's Twitch channel as I play Renegade, across arcade, Amstrad CPC, Commodore 64 and the ZX Spectrum. It'll mostly be the ZX Spectrum, because, frankly, it's best on that format. And I can complete it there.

Then Target Renegade on Wednesday, and... I'm putting myself through it... Renegade III on Thursday.

Will probably do some ZX Spectrum homebrew games the following week.
ZXDunny
Manic Miner

Post by ZXDunny »

Missed the last few minutes of your stream tonight but the rest was great fun. Looking forward to dropping in for the next one, mrs permitting.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Managed to forget this..! [mention]PeteProdge[/mention], any chance of popping a reminder here on the day of your next Stream...?

[Edit: Oh, hang on, it's in your sig...]
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Morkin wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:36 am Managed to forget this..! @PeteProdge, any chance of popping a reminder here on the day of your next Stream...?

[Edit: Oh, hang on, it's in your sig...]
Yeah, you can still watch the two hours of me playing Renegade across four different systems (I conquer it on one particular platform) for the next 13 days at this link: www.twitch.tv/videos/714233478 - but, I will be editing that footage down, getting rid of the dull bits where nothing happens, and putting it up on the Reheated Pixels YouTube channel, at some point.

Tonight, back once again with the renegade master, I'm tackling the sequel - Target Renegade - on the beloved ZX Spectrum, and also on the Amstrad CPC and some beige breadbin. Kicks off from 8pm.

And tomorrow, inevitably, is me playing, or rather, enduring, Renegade III.
ZXDunny
Manic Miner

Post by ZXDunny »

One small thing I should mention is that you might want to treat the chat box as an (almost) real time conversation rather than a stream of events. People watching the stream will, when there are enough of us, chat amongst ourselves and you should react to that as you would if you were in a group IRL - so there's no need to say "zxdunny says that..." because everyone can see it for themselves. Again, it makes the stream more organic and includes the viewers.

It's less of a broadcasted video and more a participation event.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

I missed it. I arrived right at the end to see a middle aged bloke sweating and drinking a pint. Thought it was some niche pervycam site!

I've signed up. Can't commit to 2 hours of it, but I'll make an effort to turn up for a bit on the next two. Renegade 3 especially.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Ah cool. Will try to pop by later.

Might only be for a short time but will try to get some heckling in... ;)
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

ZXDunny wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:39 am One small thing I should mention is that you might want to treat the chat box as an (almost) real time conversation rather than a stream of events. People watching the stream will, when there are enough of us, chat amongst ourselves and you should react to that as you would if you were in a group IRL - so there's no need to say "zxdunny says that..." because everyone can see it for themselves. Again, it makes the stream more organic and includes the viewers.

It's less of a broadcasted video and more a participation event.
You're right! Being new to this, and starting off small, means making a few mistakes.

I got into the swing of things by the second hour, and I realise it's best to relax, take my time and just go with the flow. I'm going to love tonight, as I hit the best of the three Renegade games. And more beer.
WhatHoSnorkers
Manic Miner

Post by WhatHoSnorkers »

I stream Spectrum games on Twitch every fortnight or so. I've even done a little live typing.
I have a little YouTube channel of nonsense
https://www.youtube.com/c/JamesOGradyWhatHoSnorkers
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Ralf's modern Renegade cracks getting a look in.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

R-Tape wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:33 pm Ralf's modern Renegade cracks getting a look in.
Very impressed with the graphics on modded Renegade, a lot of them bettering the original. The difficulty level though, aaaaaAAAarrrrgh!

Please someone give me the elusive Target Renegade mod, as that appears to have fallen off the internets... I'll try to include that in tomorrow's stream, on the hugely loved Renegade III... hang on... erm...
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Enjoyed the stream this evening Pete. Very entertaining. :)

...In case anyone missed it, it went something like this:

[Edit: sorry, couldn't resist ;) ]
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Morkin wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:38 pm Enjoyed the stream this evening Pete. Very entertaining. :)

...In case anyone missed it, it went something like this:

[Edit: sorry, couldn't resist ;) ]
Yeah, 15 minutes worth of that over and over again because I'm a total clown shoe.

And then... the snooker cue changed everything.

WHY COULDN'T I REMEMBER THAT?

Anyway, Renegade III tonight, always good to go out on a... oh.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Renegade 3 - Prodge is on!