The best Speccy game by Games Machine: discussion

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

The best Speccy game by Games Machine: discussion

Post by PeteProdge »

Still on page 9 of the first ever issue of Crash, and I notice I must have skipped this one previously.

Games Machine Ltd (no relation or connection to the Newsfield multi-format games magazine of the same name, which didn't even exist at the time of the software house) has a total of five games in the ZXDB, albeit only three properly exist, because two are MIA. Quite a brief life that spanned 1983-84.

Oh and their logo relied on that metallic/futuristic font which the band Pulp used in the mid-1990s.

Here they are...

Barreldrop
Mystery Forest [MIA]
Sharpshooter [MIA]
Skull
Supersnails

An advert for those games that mysteriously never got released...

I checked the Commodore 64 equivalent of this place and it seems Skull 64 is also vapourware.

Judging by Sharpshooter's description, I dare say it was a clone of Sega's arcade game Carnival.

I usually wait to the poll actually starts before putting up screenshots, but as there are just three tangible ZX Spectrum games (unless you know of more), here's what they look like...

Barreldrop
ImageImage

Skull
ImageImage

Supersnails

Comments and corrections welcome, as always. Next Sunday, we start the week-long poll.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
MarkRJones1970
Microbot

Re: The best Speccy game by Games Machine: discussion

Post by MarkRJones1970 »

Well it's got to be Skull isn't it? That's the only one I've ever heard of or seen any advertisments for. Seeing that Skull back in the day was pretty impressive
Mark R. Jones

Ex-Ocean Software graphic artist -
Download my FREE PDF 'LOAD DIJ DIJ' (180,000+ words): https://ko-fi.com/i/IG2G3BEJZP
ZX Art page: https://zxart.ee/eng/authors/m/mark-r-jones/
Hank Scorpio
Manic Miner

Post by Hank Scorpio »

The only one I've played is Skull, I'm guessing that Supersnails is a Tron light cycle type game.
Nick
Manic Miner

Post by Nick »

I've played both Barreldrop and Skull. Barreldrop is a fun,if repetitive, little game.
DouglasReynholm
Manic Miner

Post by DouglasReynholm »

Skull is giving me Atari Xybots vibes. Wonder if they stole it like they did Dandy for Gauntlet. ;)