Painfully slow games

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
Morkin
Bugaboo

Painfully slow games

Post by Morkin »

OK, so some BASIC games were a bit sluggish but still playable. But some games just take the biscuit.

My first nomination - Transylvanian Tower.

Not so much the game movement. It's each time you want to look up the map of the current level - it takes over 30 seconds to display the flippin' thing.

And then it only gives you 10 seconds to look at it, part of which time is probably spent waking yourself up.

I reckon you could probably generate a map in 30 seconds, let alone render an already generated one. But no - at the start of the game it takes over 2 minutes to create the map.

I haven't looked at the program listing (as it's unfathomably saved as a Bytes: loader) but I reckon it must be possible to do a better maze generating algorithm, even in BASIC...
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Re: Painfully slow games

Post by akeley »

Hell, yeah, the map in TT is a nightmare. Shame, because I actually quite like the game itself.
textvoyage
Drutt

Post by textvoyage »

for Transylvanian Tower, If you use an emulator with a Multiface enabled, you can see the listing by pressing F5 then e(xit). Looks like the map is drawn from lines 8200.
Might be a fun little lockdown project to re-write that routine!
ianace
Manic Miner

Post by ianace »

Waiting for the league table to generate for the first time on football manager! Does get quicker after that, one of my favourite games.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Asterix and the Magic Cauldron. Beautiful landscapes, but bloody slow to be drawn!
dfzx
Manic Miner

Post by dfzx »

I gave up with The Hobbit because those flood fills are so tedious to sit and wait for.
Derek Fountain, author of the ZX Spectrum C Programmer's Getting Started Guide and various open source games, hardware and other projects, including an IF1 and ZX Microdrive emulator.
WhatHoSnorkers
Manic Miner

Post by WhatHoSnorkers »

I typed in and played a Roman Empire game from one of Tim Hartnell's books. Each turn it would display 2 different maps, taking 20 seconds to draw each one...

The first time I actually edited gameplay out seriously as otherwise the video would have been over 2 hours long.
I have a little YouTube channel of nonsense
https://www.youtube.com/c/JamesOGradyWhatHoSnorkers
Nick
Manic Miner

Post by Nick »

Pretty much every management game released by E&J and D&H/Cult Software. LOTR is also slow.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Nick wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:10 pm LOTR is also slow.
I'd forgotten about LOTR.

After The Hobbit I was really looking forward to this game, but was disappointed with how sluggish it was. Switching characters was a real chore. The slightly rubbish graphics didn't really help either.
RWAC
Manic Miner

Post by RWAC »

Lords of Midnight.

Waiting for the computer to take it's turn. When it asked me if I wanted dawn, I didn't realise I'd literally have to wait for dawn!
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

RWAC wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:15 pm Lords of Midnight.

Waiting for the computer to take it's turn. When it asked me if I wanted dawn, I didn't realise I'd literally have to wait for dawn!
Harsh... :lol:

I find as you gather more allies and spend longer working out what you're doing, it feels like the day/night pauses become less frequent.
RWAC
Manic Miner

Post by RWAC »

Don't get me wrong, I still love the game but I can't play the speccy version anymore having played the excellent mobile phone port.